Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have never seen this before(carburetor surprise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never seen this before(carburetor surprise)

Hello all, 99 roadstar here from Ohio. Bike has hypercharger, Vance and Hines (long shots I believe) 57.5, 195 and the valve float assembly says 2.0 which I don’t believe is the grizzly but I am running pumpless and have already put 6500 miles on her this season as it’s my daily, I think the petcock is also changed, going to attempt to attach a photo maybe someone can chime in on wat petcock it is, not sure if it has been cut as the previous owner switched over to pumpless.

So on to the problem, I was driving the other day and it happened to be raining well I got 6 miles down the road so it was the start of the ride and starting running like crap, Holding the throttle open at all would kill it. I let it cool down for 10 minutes and it started again, 5 more miles down the road it died again same problem so I popped off the gas cap and started it again after another 10 minutes and started home, made it all the way with the gas cap off so today I started taking the as tank apart I wanted to check the gas tank vent and it works, thought maybe it was a vacuum leak so I checked the manifold and it was fine. Since I had the carb off already at this point I wanted to check and see what jets it had so I could post on here and I’m glad I did because both my main and pilot jet fell out, when I took the float bowl off they were both sitting in there, I have never seen this happen and have many carb problems. So I got it all tightened up started it up ran great went for a 400 mile ride today did not have another problem with it dying but I think I picked up a new engine noise, I know this big 1602 cc air-cooled motor is loud but this sounds like a tick that I have not heard before. I will try and post a video of it running later but is it possible the motor got to hot? I would think it would have been way to rich not lean so I am not sure how this could have happened. Any insight on what to check for the noise and any advice on how the jets literally fell out, maybe due to engine vibration which I do have a lot of vibration when I’m in higher rpms that I can feel in the floorboards and the fairing.

I wonder if it put so much fuel in the engine that it got into the crankcase past the rings and contaminated the oil. If it thinned the oil you could have a new noise that would go away with a oil/filter change.

Comment

Wowsa....at least there is no problem of it running lean! Throw new plugs in there since the tank is off....change oil and filter.....should be fine. These bikes can take a lot of abuse (especially operator induced abuse)....

Comment

I had a similar problem when I first went pumpless. When riding in the rain, it would just die. I found out that the rollover valve can get plugged and thus the tank loses it's venting. You addressed this by loosening the gas cap. You can fix it permanently by venting the gas cap or just disconnect the rollover valve and vent the tank to the open air. BTW, the rollover valve is buried beneath the battery.
        Peace,
        Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
        (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

I checked the rollover valve it is still good air goes in but can’t come out. I will check the oil today for fuel fumes. Hadn’t that about this but glad no one is thinking sticky valve syndrome.

Comment

A Seafoam treatment damn sure won't hurt it especially a bike that old. You didn't mention how many miles overall the bike has on it. If you found the jets lying in the bowel obviously that was your problem. You put them back in and it ran right, right? I would say some one didn't put them in there tight enough before because I have never heard of them just falling out for no reason. OK, as far as noises and vibrations go, check and / or tighten whatever is vibrating. These bikes never came with a fairing so someone rigged it up somehow to stay on there, so don't expect it to give service like a factory set up. The footboards are notorious for losing bolts out of the bottom so check those. I replaced mine with Stratoliner boards, and when I did I removed the spring loaded set up and ran some long bolts through and double nutted the ends to keep them tight, and I have noticeably less vibration from the footboards now. As far as engine noise goes, well they all make engine noise to varying degrees. If the bike runs the same I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it needs an oil change, change the damn oil.

Comment

Bike has 42,000, have ran seafoam every month first couple times did a pretty heavy treatment. I’ve never heard of jets falling out either but I’d like to know why they fell out.

Comment

Seeing as its got a hypercharger the jetting had to have been changed by the PO. good possibility they just forgot to tighten them. There is a guy in my town (ex Harley mechanic) who works on bikes that has a bad habit of forgetting to tighten bolts, to many people visiting him. I had him replace the rear tire on my last bike and he never tightened the axle nut. that was the first and last time he touched my ride. shit happens.

Comment

• Spydr
                  Spydr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's why Nobody touches my bike but Me. Almost 90K miles now.

Yea no one touches my ride, so an update the ticking went away after a few more hundred miles and an oil change. Still have not figured out how this happened but have tightened them down myself now. It has been better as it has the barons needle but I don’t think it is jetted right making a new post for that right now.

Comment

It has been jetted**

Comment

What were the jet sizes main jet and pilot jet?

Comment

The new jets were 170 and 37.5, I wasn’t sure if I should get the 35 or 37.5 since advice was to not change the pilot but it seems to be running a lot better. Able to use choke now. Cold starts are a lot easier.

Comment

Fuel in the oil should evaporate out on a 400 mile day. Oil temps are well beyond the vapor point of the gasoline. Thinning oil with the fuel is a cold start method on piston engines on aircraft without a block heater. The diluter puts a quart of fuel in the oil tank to thin the oil for cold start. It was common when straight 50W was the stuff, but there are multi viscosity oils available now and the diluter system is rarely used.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by thunderace4, 10-19-2019, 12:34 PM
                        23 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Lucky
                        by Lucky

Started by GNR10, 1 week ago
                        24 responses
                        0 likes