Announcement

Collapse

Flagging spam

if you see a spam post, don't reply or comment on it. Just flag it. We get those flag reports and take action. That action is pretty simple. If the post is obviously spam we delete and then check few boxes to delete all other posts by that user and ban them permanently. If the post is questionable as spam then we can suspend the user and then send them a message to work it out.
So when it doubt - Flag The Post
See more
See less

Zimasfriend's engine noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimasfriend's engine noise?

From Zimasfriend:
    I have an 05 Roadstar xv1700amt and it has always had a sharp ticking noise which it's had since new. But...Sunday I was coming home from a ride and my bike (Capricieux..I named it) started acting up. 1) My speedometer and gas gauge went psycho, the instrument lights quit working then 2) about 4 miles later it started a loud grinding noise from the crankshaft area.
    Today I tested my battery and it was only 87% charged but it had 13V. I put it on the charger while I checked all fuses, all connectors and wires. They were all good. So, makes me wonder if the stator is going bad? The battery is only a year old.
    Next, I started it and took my stethoscope (yep...was a nurse lol) and checked to see if the noise was coming from my gear box or Crankshaft area. DEFINITELY coming from the crankshaft area...horrible grinding! Not the "normal"...but HOPEFULLY not a rod bearing!
    I am going to warm it up tomorrow (while I hold my breath) and change the oil to see if there is any metal in it.
    Has anyone else had this issue? BTW..my bike has 21000 on it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

A common problem is a loose primary pulley. Pull the cover off on the left side and make sure the nut is tight. No oil will leak when you take the cover off.

Comment

• Zimasfriend
      Zimasfriend commented
      Editing a comment
      Shores, I have checked that pulley nut. The noise is definately coming from the right side behind the crankshaft plate.

Zima, read this entire thread below and report back in three days for the 250 question exam.

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...s-should-check

Comment

Bump!

Comment

Ok. Today I took the cover off the generator and checked the bolt that Duke (thank you again) posted about. It was good and tight and the gears look good. Next, I removed the cover from the crankshaft, same thing. Everything looks good. Next, I started draining the gear oil and it is full of metal shavings.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Duke
        Duke commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to lead you to the gen cover, but those bolts have came loose with a lot of bikes. If it's coming from your chain area, than I would check the pulley sprocket nut. That nut tightens the jack shaft, "from chain shaft sprocket to the drive pulley". If the nut is loose, it usually leaks oil out on the drive pulley side.

Originally posted by Zimasfriend View Post
      Ok. Today I took the cover off the generator and checked the bolt that Duke (thank you again) posted about. It was good and tight and the gears look good. Next, I removed the cover from the crankshaft, same thing. Everything looks good. Next, I started draining the gear oil and it is full of metal shavings.
      Hopefully it’s just the gears or chain and not the shafts. Was there oil in there? How long have you had the bike? When did it last run quiet? Have you ever changed the oil? Did someone drain the transfer case oil by mistake and not refill? These gears would not be turning when in neutral....correct?

Comment

• Zimasfriend
        Zimasfriend commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Shores. Let's just hope it's the gears. Yes it was full of gear oil I checked before I started draining it to make sure. I've had the bike since new in 05 except for four years when it was given to a friend of my ex-husband's and got it back late this January. The last time it ran quiet was last Sunday. I took it to Spanaway and back via 507. The noise started about a half a block from my house and I could hear it over my really loud pipes. No one other than myself has access to the bike to drain it so no, that didn't happen. No those gears shouldn't be turning at all while it's sitting in neutral. I'll update tomorrow after I tear into it. Thanks for everything. Good night.

• midnitmike
        midnitmike commented
        Editing a comment
        One thing is for sure, this lady is living up to our motto. You go girl !

So...then gear oil has metal shavings in it and NOT the engine oil? That's oddnifnthere was proper fluid in the transfer case....it's just a couple gears and a chain receiving an oil bath....weird that something happened to that simple setup.

Comment

• Zimasfriend
        Zimasfriend commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. The metal shaving is in the gear oil NOT the engine oil. I took the weep plug out to make sure it was full. It drained some oil out and I noticed a few specks of metal in it. Then I took the gear oil drain bolt out and there is alot of metal in it. I'm leaving it tonight and I'm going to take the cover off tomorrow and see what's going on. I'll update then.

[QUOTE=Duke;n80799]Sorry to lead you to the gen cover, but those bolts have came loose with a lot of bikes. If it's coming from your chain area, than I would check the pulley sprocket nut. That nut tightens the jack shaft, "from chain shaft sprocket to the drive pulley". If the nut is loose, it usually leaks oil out on the drive pulley side.[/QUOTE

if it's the transfer case gears and chain I don't understand why it would make noise when in neutral.

Comment

• Zimasfriend
        Zimasfriend commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know but I'll know tomorrow. This maybe a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyways... I have a belt drive, so is there an internal chain on the internal sprockets??

• Zimasfriend
        Zimasfriend commented
        Editing a comment
        Duke, don't be sorry! I was really hoping that was what the problem was. Thank you for suggesting that! I learned something today by removing that cover and that's always a good thing!!

• Duke
        Duke commented
        Editing a comment
        I might have misread, I didn't think it was making noise in neutral. If it's making noise in neutral, then it has to be something else.

Well, at least its not a rod bearing. 21K is pretty low mileage for anything to be failing like this. Things are getting curiouser and curiouser...

[/URL] [URL=https://www.use.com/949853ccd3c3a769b01c][/URL][/CENTER]" class="bbcode-attachment align_center" alt="" />

Comment

• Zimasfriend
        Zimasfriend commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. They sure are. I'm going to go out in about 1/2 hour to pull the gear cover. I'll post picks.

I don't know but I'll know tomorrow. This maybe a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyways... I have a belt drive, so is there an internal chain on the internal sprockets??
      Yes, behind the right cover where my found metal in the oil. The transfer case. Do you have a shop manual? Someone here will send you a digital version.

Comment

Hi Everyone. I had a family emergency yesterday so I didn't get the cover off yet. I'll post when I get it off.

Comment

• Ahodge75
          Ahodge75 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope everything is okay and it's not to serious.

So the cover is off, bolt is tight. Chain from what I cans looks good. I put my finger inside and metal is at the bottom. Suggestions as to what it is?
        Attached Files

Comment

Did you say that it's making a grinding noise when in neutral, engine running? If it is, then I'm at a loss on what it could be, unless something has came loose in the crank area.

Disregard the lower paragraph if it's making noise in neutral.

If you do pull the cover off that exposes the chain and both sprockets, then don't remove the oil pump off that cover unless you have a new gasket for that pump. Don't ask how I know this. Lol.
          The nut that I was talking about is the drive pulley for the belt on the other side, "left side". That nut, holds the back chain "sprocket/shaft" and belt pulley together as a unit, locking it to the inner races of the bearings on both sides.

Comment

• Zimasfriend
            Zimasfriend commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it makes a grinding noise while in neutral but not as loud and when is in gear.
            I checked the front pulley nut in February, but that's not to say it hasn't cube loose since. I will check it again. I just don't know where the metal shavings are coming from...

So the cover is off, bolt is tight. Chain from what I cans looks good. I put my finger inside and metal is at the bottom. Suggestions as to what it is?
          Can you move the sprockets left to right? Any slop in them? Jack the rear wheel off the ground, put it in neutral and turn the rear wheel to observe any noise. This wouldn’t account for why there is noise in neutral though.

Comment

• Zimasfriend
            Zimasfriend commented
            Editing a comment
            There's no slop, chain is not loose. Teeth look good. I'm going to check the front pulley bolt again. I checked it in February but maybe it came loose since? IDK. The metal has to be coming from somewhere.

• Duke
            Duke commented
            Editing a comment
            If the gear oil has never been changed, then you will have a little metal in the oil. The first time I changed the oil, at 6k miles, it had some medal shaving in it. I've changed oil a couple of times since, and the oils been clean in two different Road Stars.

Yes it makes a grinding noise while in neutral but not as loud and when is in gear.
          I checked the front pulley nut in February, but that's not to say it hasn't cube loose since. I will check it again. I just don't know where the metal shavings are coming from...
          You’re getting closer though! Just keep swimming upstream!

Comment

I tried to upload a video but it exceeded the size. LOL. I'll take a pic. The bolt was a little loose so I'm glad I checked it again. I could move it back and forth and the pulley would move a little. Going to tightened it and torque it down. Do I use lock tight on it? Can I buy new tabs? I don't like the looks of these. Going to re read the newbie post about it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• MikeyC
              MikeyC commented
              Editing a comment
              That belt looks loose, the tension on those usually pulls the belt flatter, but, to tight is not good. Without actually putting a hand on it I really couldn't tell.

New nut with stake down rim plus loktite

Comment

• Zimasfriend
              Zimasfriend commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. Do I buy new tabs also? Or is this an updated nut for it?

Yes use loctite. If the pulley was loose, maybe it was rattling when in neutral and then making more noise when rolling. Loose pulley is very common.

Comment

• Zimasfriend
              Zimasfriend commented
              Editing a comment
              I hope, and Duke said his had a little at 6k so I still have hope. I don't know why it was louder on the right side but hey, if this solves it I'm a happy camper! I'll buy the new nut tomorrow. I have red loctite so I'll use that. Do I use lithium grease for the rollers or can I use any lubricating grease? Thanks!

I use Redline synthetic heavy duty bearing grease for the rollers...take them out and clean/dry them realngood first and clean whole pulley area out. Many of us will pull that cover yearly as a basic maintenance check..Makena urethane pulley is tight and clean/lube rollers.

Comment

• Zimasfriend
              Zimasfriend commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok. Thank you Lug Nut

Thank you. Do I buy new tabs also? Or is this an updated nut for it?
            Older bikes have a pulley washer with tabs, then a nut. Newer bikes like my 2008 have a special nut like roadiemort posted with a built in flange that you punch over into a slot in the shaft/stud.

Comment

• roadiemort
              roadiemort commented
              Editing a comment
              What he said.

• Zimasfriend
              Zimasfriend commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL. Ty.

• D-Fresh
              D-Fresh commented
              Editing a comment
              From Zima's pic it doesn't look like the shaft on the older style has a slot to stake the new style nut into. If that's the case, you can't use the new style nut on an old style shaft, is that correct?

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by roadiemort, 2 hours ago
          11 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post roadiemort  
          Started by jcova58, 2 hours ago
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post jcova58
          by jcova58