Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spittin & sputtering ...

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a little insight. I've recently purchased a 2009 Road Star XV1700 that had sat for about 3yrs rarely ridden. The bike had 2,000 miles on it when I bought it. The old man told me to watch it down around a quarter tank of fuel. He told me that he put a fuel stabilizer in there at some point and ever since, he doesn't run it below 1/4 tank. I've put 1,500 miles on the bike and it runs like a raped ape ... until it gets down to that 1/4 mark. At that point it just runs out of fuel if demanded. It'll idle but won't perform under load as if it's running out of fuel. If you fill the tank above that 1/4 mark, it runs just fine without any isues. Where should I be focussing? It runs like the new bike that it still is with fuel in it, but leaves me putting along at a quarter tank. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance .

pull the tank and clean it out. there is a pump and screen filter inside that comes out thru the bottom of the tank. it must be picking up some sort of garbage and/or water in the last 1/4 tank.

Comment

Representing Scorpion Gulch, Arizona. Are you talking about a 1/4 tank according to the fuel gauge or 1/4 looking in the tank and seeing fuel? The Roadstar fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate. You may simply be running out of gas. I'm not familiar with the fuel injected models like yours, but, does it have a reserve position on the petcock? How far are you getting from full when it starts doing this?

Comment

• Brad_G
        Brad_G commented
        Editing a comment
        There isn't a petcock on the FI models.

Remove tank and dup all gas, remove petcock and clean screen replace fuel filter inspect tank with endoscope to see if junk/rust in there.

when it starts to run bad do you switch to reserve at that point?
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

• Duke
        Duke commented
        Editing a comment
        It's fuel injected!

Originally posted by davej View Post
      pull the tank and clean it out. there is a pump and screen filter inside that comes out thru the bottom of the tank. it must be picking up some sort of garbage and/or water in the last 1/4 tank.
      +1

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'll pull the tank and see what I find. The original owner that I bought it from stated that this issue starred after he added "fuel stabilizer" for the winter because all it did was sit there - unridden. Yes, I'm referring to the gauge reading 1/4 tank. I'm unsure if it's actually running out of has or not ? If I get off the throttle or cruise on flat, level surface, it will run just fine. If I hit an incline or demand power/fuel, it spits & sputters. I'll see what I find once the tank is removed. Thanks.

Comment

Make sure the air intake filter is clean also.

Comment

I bought a 2009 RS this past Saturday. It had 1023 miles on it. Previous owner bought it new from the dealership in 2013 with 13 miles on it. He rode it intermittently over the next 8 years. I have been riding it three days now and it has started acting similarly to what is described here. I has a flat spot in the throttle where it starts backfiring and no power. Then when I roll the throttle harder it starts accelerating like it should. I was told by the dealership mechanic to run premium fuel in it and since it had so few miles to run a little seafoam in a tank of two. I mentioned to him that the owners manual says reg 87 unleaded and he and the service manager both said use premium instead and preferably ethanol free. I'm doing the seafoam now and checked the air filter. It was clean as a whistle. The oil is clean. I'm hearing all sorts of noises I'm not used to hearing so I'm not sure it there are any other issues. I have avoided wearing my hearing aids as that would add a whole bunch of other noises to make me nervous. What was the solution found in this thread?

Comment

These engines are extremely noisy so don't even think about that as a problem. I have a 2008. 1,000 miles in 8 years is likely going to produce a lot of gummed up crap from ethanol fuel. I suggest you not waste your money on premium but see if you can get some 87 non-ethanol or run several tanks treated with a heavier than normal concentration of seafoam or techron plus concentrate. What pipes and intake does it have? Has the AIS been removed?

Comment

• ZeroTurnZed
                ZeroTurnZed commented
                Editing a comment
                Stock pipes and don't know for sure about the AIS. The original owner said something about an upgrade to an after maket fuel management system. As an update to the problem, I did find out what I believe to be the problem. The generator is not outputting any voltage to recharge the battery or run the bike. So the bike was discharging the battery and when the battery got so low the bike starts misfiring and eventually it quick running all together. I am replacing the stator, pick-up, voltage regulator and the battery. Of course the dealership had none of these in stock so I ebayed them. Should have it back on the road by the weekend. Will take the old stator, regulator, and pick-up to the local rebuilder and have them repaired then they will go in the spare parts bag.

Originally posted by ZeroTurnZed View Post
              Stock pipes and don't know for sure about the AIS. The original owner said something about an upgrade to an after maket fuel management system. As an update to the problem, I did find out what I believe to be the problem. The generator is not outputting any voltage to recharge the battery or run the bike. So the bike was discharging the battery and when the battery got so low the bike starts misfiring and eventually it quick running all together. I am replacing the stator, pick-up, voltage regulator and the battery. Of course the dealership had none of these in stock so I ebayed them. Should have it back on the road by the weekend. Will take the old stator, regulator, and pick-up to the local rebuilder and have them repaired then they will go in the spare parts bag.
              If it has an aftermarket fuel processor, that could very well be your problem. In my 10 years on this forum I think I have only known of one or two people who successfully installed one and then they didn't even know if it improved performance or not. Most folks have ripped them off and just stuck with the stock ECU. that's what I did and it totally adjusts fine with any intake filter and any exhaust. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Comment

Thanks, Shores. I got the stator and new battery installed,and now I have got 13.94v going to the battery and the bike runs great. I will keep an eye on the fuel management and may eventually go back to the stock ECU if I have any problems with it. New voltage regulator arrived yesterday and going to put it on tomorrow and put the old one in the saddlebag as a back up.

Comment

• Shores
                  Shores commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is great news Zero!

I got the new voltage regulator in and put it on and that boosted the voltage to 14.48v. I put the old VR in the parts box as a back up. How do you post a question so everyone can see it and reply? I tried sending it with my user name in the to box but that went nowhere.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by KokopelliAZ, 1 week ago
                8 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Shores
                by Shores

Started by Fishbone333, 08-11-2021, 06:29 PM
                14 responses
                0 likes