Trouble starting; need some input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble starting; need some input

I've been having a hard time getting my bike to start after all the latest work. Along with the new lifters, I pulled the AIS, which meant I had to unscrew the rectifier to get to the AIS pump, so the rectifier just hung there for a few days until I put everything back together. I also installed at set of Dave's battery cables while I was at it.

Initially I couldn't get the bike to turn over on it's own without spraying some starter fluid in the air cleaner first, but would only stay running for a few seconds until the starter fluid burned off. So obviously I've got spark and compression and the lifters are in the right order. Unfortunately though, my 18 month old YUASA battery has been tired for a while now, and will only turn over a few times before it dies, so I have to keep putting it on the charger and try again after the battery recharges.

This time, to make sure I was getting fuel to the carb, I removed the air filter, pulled the enricher all the way out, and twisted the throttle several times to squirt some fuel from the accelerator jet. This worked and the motor would run for a few seconds until the squirt was used up. I tried again, and it sounded like the motor was running too rich, so I pushed in the enricher before it died, but the motor started to stumble, so I pulled it back out and it picked back up until the squirts were used up. So clearly I have fuel getting to the carb, but when I tried to twist the throttle, it bogged down. I think the bogging might be because, when I'd pulled the air cleaner, I left the intake manifold vacuum line open. But the battery died again so I had to wait.

Today I capped off the vacuum line, and after killing the battery again, I pulled the carb to give it a simple inspection. All looked well, so I put the carb back in, let the battery charge for about 4 hours until the light was green, and just now I went to try again. This time I didn't twist the throttle first. I pressed the starter and it immediately came to life and ran at around 1500-2000 RPMs for nearly 15 seconds before it died. This is the longest it's run by far. I tried to start it again but nothing. I blipped the throttle a few times, and again it started for second, but died as soon as it burnt off the accelerator pump fuel. I tried a couple more times before the battery started to sound tired again so I stopped.

Is it possible, since I just replaced the battery cables or had the rectifier hanging for a while, that it's something electrical? Like i the ignition is running off the battery until the battery gets too weak? I'll check the jets in the carb tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if they were a problem, because they've always been very clean and were fine before all this began.

So what are your thoughts? Anything beyond the typical? Possible AIS or electrical issue when the battery loses juice? Other than that possibly the jets I'm running out of ideas and welcome your input.

Thx.
    Last edited by Doc_V; 1 week ago.

Starving for fuel Doc. Try blowing compressed air into the two small holes at the carb inlet. That usually helps clean out the idle circuit and main jet. Make sure your fuel filter isn't plugged up.
    Are you running pumpless?? You had the fuel tank off and I'm just wondering if gunk in the bottom of the tank didn't collect around the Petcock screens???? Or something into your fuel line????
    Check the fuel flow???

Comment

Run jumper cables from your car, that will rule out voltage issues. You can have the car off if you want but i have jump started 100 small engines with my truck running. I know misinformed people will tell you you will blow shit up this way, which unless your truck is running on 24v is impossible.
      if you still have the pump rip it off abd go pumpless. Just run a new line for now, i ran mine for 1 month with the stock fuel valve before i had the will to go with the grizzly.
      I think its entirely a fuel issue.

Comment

I know exactly what's wrong with it Doc. You fucked it up.

Comment

• Doc_V
          Doc_V commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn straight skippy, I don't do anything half-assed!

Definitely sounds fuel related. In addition to checking the jets for obstructions, make sure the slide is not hanging open.

Comment

How much fuel is in your oil now? Just enough to mess with your lifters and cams?

Comment

• roadiemort
            roadiemort commented
            Editing a comment
            After all these years you still don't get me when I use serious sarcasm, was asking if it was time to change the oil, can't offer you build advise only common sense.

• Doc_V
            Doc_V commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll figure you out one of these days Mort... Oil was changed a few hundred miles ago.

• roadiemort
            roadiemort commented
            Editing a comment
            My concern was with your bike not running or starting properly unburned fuel might have made it to the oil and diluted or contaminated it.

Lance, what are you using to charge the battery? You should use a good charger and not just a trickle charger. Some trickle chargers won’t boost a battery of the battery voltage is too low.
          signature

Comment

It's just a simple Battery Tender. If I can't get the bike started today maybe I'll take it to the local auto parts store and have them put a charge on it. But back in July, at the dealership in Bend, OR, whatshisname told me it was going bad. I remember because he had to charge it to start the bike after it sat for 8 days. It had been exactly 364 days since I ordered it, [less since I'd added the electrolyte and charged it] but when I got home YUASA refused to warranty it even though I had a signed write up from the dealership stating it was going bad during the first year. So I'm done with YUASA, but that's a story for the other thread... And recently I did check my charging system; it's good.

Comment

Has your carb ever been apart/cleaned/checked?

Comment

Is the PMS screw turned out two turns ?
                Is the float bowl filling with fuel ?
                Seems like the idle circut is not doing its job.

I know my bike will flood easily.

Squirt a little fuel in the throut to keep it running.

Just thinking out loud.

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

Thanks Jeaston, most of this stuff is me thinking out loud too. Seems to help. PMS is 2.5 turns out. I did move my needle clip from 3rd to 4th groove from blunt end while the carb was out of the bike. i'd been testing it on the 3rd before the lifter job; It seemed to help with the mid range, but after cleaning all the carbon, I decided to put it back to 4th.

I've had my carb apart several times in the past. Last i checked the jets were clean and the fuel in the float bowl was set at 5mm above the inner rear mating surface, and I haven't removed the bowl since. I'm beginning to think [hope] some crap fell in there while working on the bike, it was also pretty windy around here and we've had lots of crap falling from the trees.

Comment

The very little O-ring that sits between the bowl and the body. (for the accelerator pump) It's in there?

Did you put the pilot jet in the wrong place ?

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

Nope, the bike has been running great since I got it, this is the first time I've had any starting issues. I did have to remove and reinstall the intake manifold several times when removing the heads, I know they don't like being messed with, and once you break that seal it can be a real pain to make it good again. But usually they're a problem off idle when the vacuum is really drawing. New manifold o-rings are on my list if the other typical fixes don't work. The accelerator pump seems to be working fine. It's the only thing that seems to be working right now.

Comment

• Doc_V
                        Doc_V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Update: It was the fuel pump. It kept cutting out so I bypassed it and all is good now. Thanks everyone.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by midnitmike, 6 hours ago
                    3 responses
                    1 like
                    Last Post Lug Nut
                    by Lug Nut

Started by JoeBloShmo, 3 hours ago
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Horsehammerr