Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke
    replied
    Doc, I feel that what Dave is saying is the way to go.
    Using transmission oil in with your oil, is a trick that has been proven for years on hydraulic lifters. If it's a lifter cleaning issue than this might work, but if it doesn't, than you know you will have to pull the lifter. If you have to pull the lifter then, like Dave said, replace it with a new one.
    I've had to do this on a V-8 engine before, and after pin pointing that lifter, I pulled it apart and did not see anything wrong. It's very hard to find the problem causing it to bleed down.
    I hope its just a cleaning problem and ATF fixes it.
    If you have to replace the lifter, then remember you will have to break it into the cam.

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    Some use a seal power ht 2011. As long as the cam isn't damaged installing a new lifter shouldn't hurt a thing. If it is freeing up after running for awhile I would try the ATF or other product specifically made for that purpose. If it is freeing up it isn't too badly stuck and likely just a bit of a varnish build up that a cleaner will fix.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    commented on 's reply
    How much transmission fluid would you run and for how long?

• Doc_V
    replied
    When the lifter frees up, the bike runs fine, if the cam was damaged would it be more obvious? Also, wasn't it determined that the R* lifters were the same as Dodge Dart lifters or something?
    Last edited by Doc_V; 01-18-2019, 09:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    commented on 's reply
    It's a very loud *clacking* noise that only happens when the motor is cold. You can hear it from 50 feet away. The motor also runs rough until it stops and when it does stop it's very obvious like someone flipped a switch.

• NCB
    replied
    Just Curious, what are the signs of a sticking lifter. How to you tell the difference from a sticking lifter and the normal noises?

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    Drain the oil in a clean oil pan and save it to put back in. The trans fluid isn't to replace the oil for the entire oil change interval.Trans fluid has a high detergent content in it and does an amazing job cleaning. If I used trans fluid I think I would add some zinc to it and would only use no more than 50/50 oil/ trans mixture. But that is just me. There are also other products on the market to free sticky lifters. As much noise as these things make naturally it must be bad if you have determined that it is defiantly a lifter making noise. If you pull the lifter out just change it. That is another thing that us mechanics do all the time without issue. I think the reason that some think that a new lifter will destroy a cam is because in many cases the cam was already destroyed along with the old lifter. If the lifter isn't dished or destroyed on the bottom and is only making noise because of the internal components of the lifter there should be no problem installing a new one without harm to anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Horsehammerr
    replied
    1 Pint , 16 Oz . Marvel Mystery Oil for one tank of gas before oil change. In the oil tank.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Why hell, I wish I'd heard about this before I'd spent $60 on an oil change 2 weeks ago. Should I just add more Seafoam to the fresh oil, or will that cause issues long term. What about soaking the lifter in something good? Id even thought about taking them apart and cleaning them.

Leave a comment:

• Rodzim
    commented on 's reply
    Lots of internet mechanics man. People that do it day in and day out can read forums and laugh about things that are not supposed to be done that we do every day.

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    That's been my go to solvent for decades.
    Kinda thought folk here didn't like it for some reason.

• Rodzim
    replied
    Drain the oil and fill her up with transmission fluid. Im a mechanic for a living and i have freed many lifters this way. Run it for a few hours and then drain it and fill it with whatever oil you use.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    started a topic Sticky Lifter - What are the options?

Sticky Lifter - What are the options?

I know this has been discussed before, but it's been a while and I now have sticky lifter. It goes away after the bike is hot but it's been getting worse. I recently changed the oil, and before I did, I added a good dose of Seafoam to the oil, hoping it'd clean the lifter. It did make a difference pretty quickly, but since changing the oil, it's gotten a lot worse. If I recall, JD, you said you figured a solution that didn't require replacing the cam, what was it?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks,

Doc_V

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SPislanderATX, 7 hours ago
6 responses
0 likes
Last Post SPislanderATX  
Started by badger2078, 3 hours ago
2 responses
0 likes