No announcement yet.

Sticky Lifter - What are the options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, while researching this, Ive seen some recommendations for Mellings lifters. Apparently they make their own and are an OE supplier, where as the Sealed Power are apparently rebranded? Any thoughts?

Comment

No thoughts other than whatever is easiest to find locally. Both are top of the line brand names neither one better than the other so I would also consider price with the availability. Don't put to much thought into it and make things more difficult than what it is.

Comment

Is there such a thing as too much zddp? Planning to add some Lucas zinc additive for the lifter break in. One 16oz. bottle is intended for a full size engine, so I'm assuming half would be good for the R*. Would the be any benefit or downside to just adding the whole bottle?
        Protects camshaft lifters and valve train during break-in period of motor. Excellent for flat tappet camshafts during break-in or as an additive to an...

Comment

Hey doc, i think you are overthinking this job a lot. Dont torture yourself like that. Its just lifters, not even worn lifters, just leaky lifters.
          i know the internet is designed to scare you out of doing a lot of things but in reality this is a very common issue with hydraulic lifters and gets done all the time. 99% of the times the old lifter is removed and new one installed and that is that. No special oil or break in required.
          i understand your trepidation, its your baby we're talking about. But seriously, this isnt a big deal

Comment

Just put in 8 ounces, then save the rest for the next oil change.
            A little to much will not hurt the the engine, it could affect the clutch if it's week though, I think.
            You'll be alright buddy. I wish I was there to help you, I love doing this stuff. I like hurricanes, tornadoes, and Listerine too!

Comment

• Spydr
              Spydr commented
              Editing a comment
              Mmmmm… Listerine. Yummy!

LOL, thanks Duke, I don't have any Listerine, but it'd be glad to provide the bourbon. I think I'll be OK though. I would have been less concerned if I hadn't seen the "cam killer" threads on the old site. I just like to know what I'm getting into when there's potential for serious consequences, but I think I've got it now.

Comment

might as well throw in a couple extra pennies while your at it an get these
              owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that

Comment

[QUOTE=cike;n55235]might as well throw in a couple extra pennies while your at it an get these[/QUOT

Those are the cams I have in my bike, you need to get the collapsible push rod tubes with them If you don't adjusting the pushrods would be just about impossible.

Comment

Yah, a *few* pennies... Oh well, it's only for 99-03. And I think it also requirers HC pistons too.
                  Last edited by Doc_V; 01-22-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

He has them for a 07 and they don't require HC pistons they are just more fun with them,even more fun with Big Bore HC pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
                      I've always gone on the understanding that both the adjustable and nonadjustable side of the rocker arm should be the same. That way both valves open simultaneously and the same amount.
                      If anything adjusting to "0" lash "cold" will make the valves a little out of adjustment when hot. You are actually synchronizing the valves opening more than adjusting them. I guess the word adjusting vs synchronizing is about the same as when we call the enricher a choke.

Comment

OK Dave, now I'm even more confused, can you clarify? Earlier I asked if it was bad to set the lash to zero when cold and the response I got were it's not a problem. What am I missing here? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know.

Thx.

Comment

Doc I'm sure it's not an issue I'm just explaining why the engineers call for a lash. Metal expands when it gets hot.I would also think that the lifter absorbs the expansion on the non adjustable side. I adjusted mine with the lash because I want that valve shut as tight as it will shut.Mine also has 2 adjustments,1 to synchronize like all of them do and 1 adjustment for the length of the pushrod. I'm sure you also seen Dukes response above basically saying the same thing. Also back to what was said earlier don't make more to it than what it really is. The rest is just conversation answering and explaining questions that have been asked. You should be able to do the job without touching the adjustment on the rockers anyway and it will stay at the same adjustment you have now.

Comment

• Duke
                            Duke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What Dave said, no adjustments on the rocker arms are necessary if they're working good now. When heat expands the whole rocker arm, the adjusting screw will expand a little more length ways then the non adjustable rocker finger.

I'm working on a 2000 xv1600 for a friend. I thought the lifters had collapsed...and they had, but it was because the oil pump drive gear failed and there was no oil pressure. Since I was in there anyway I decided to go ahead and replace the lifters with Sealed Power and the first thing I noticed is that the old lifters have an oil hole where the push rod seats and the new ones do not. I don't know if the old lifters are OEM, does anyone know if the OEM lifters had the oil hole? I'm assuming there are no issues using the Sealed Power without the oil hole? It looks like there is an oil galley from the feed line through the rocker arm and back down the push rod so I'm thinking the oiling will still be okay.

Comment

If your'e talking about a hole right in the middle of the lifter where the push rod seats, then no. I had no hole in my OE lifters or the Mellings aftermarket replacements. Just be sure to use a thick assembly lube *with ZDDP* [like the one in my post above] on the cam lobes and lifter faces for the initial break in.

Comment

I looked in the manual and the oil flow diagram shows oil going up through the pushrod to oil the rocker shaft and the valve stems. I have it all back together now but it is a bit of a worry for me now and I wish I had paid closer attention to the oil passages. The oil flow diagram shows the oil coming up through the external pipes but it doesn't show it going up into the rocker arm like I thought it did. I'm not sure what else that oil would be oiling so it doesn't really make sense that it doesn't go up into the rock

Comment

My apologies for the confusion. I just double checked and there is a hole in the center of the lifter bucket. The oil goes up both sides of the motor; the external passages and push rods.
                                Last edited by Doc_V; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by motogotro View Post
                                  I'm working on a 2000 xv1600 for a friend. I thought the lifters had collapsed...and they had, but it was because the oil pump drive gear failed and there was no oil pressure. Since I was in there anyway I decided to go ahead and replace the lifters with Sealed Power and the first thing I noticed is that the old lifters have an oil hole where the push rod seats and the new ones do not. I don't know if the old lifters are OEM, does anyone know if the OEM lifters had the oil hole? I'm assuming there are no issues using the Sealed Power without the oil hole? It looks like there is an oil galley from the feed line through the rocker arm and back down the push rod so I'm thinking the oiling will still be okay.

Sitting at a gas station/ convenience store eating a snack watching a group of HD riders all decked out from head to toe in their HD garments talking and walking around looking at each other's bikes. They were there when I pulled in. I ordered a sandwich and eating it now and they are still just walking around. I am just about to leave and they are still just standing around. Ridiculous! Drop dead gorgeous day being wasted hanging around.

End of Rant.

Anyway you mentioned that you installed Sealed Power Lifters. Did you use the Sealed Power HT2011 Lifters? They have the hole in the center of the cup. DO NOT run your bike with the lifters you have if there is no hole in them. You will starve the top end of the engine.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome info in this thread! I'm currently building a BB olds, and one important steps in the lifters is setting preload, do our bikes require the same procedure?

Comment

• Bikerron
                                      Bikerron commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      No. The preload is already built into the design.

The rocker with the adjuster allows you to balance the other rocker to zero clearance for the both. The lifter will pump up to take care of any slop between the cam and the valve stems.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by Darkkill57, 3 days ago
                                  24 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Brian Schenk  
                                  Started by AR. Hillbilly, 1 week ago
                                  5 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post AR. Hillbilly  
                                  Started by Father Pobasturd, 3 weeks ago