Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Shaft broken?

All,

So, something else broke on the bike today. I have a 2001 Road Star... this time something went totally haywire with the shift mechanism. After pulling away from a traffic light the bike wouldn't shift past second gear. Then I noticed that the shift pedals were not behaving properly... when I up shifted, the rear pedal would drop down below the foot board and stay there. So, I obviously couldn't do any more upshifting. It was also down shifting with some difficulty, but seemed to want to slide into neutral too easily, in fact it seemed to hit neutral from almost anywhere. I pulled over to check things out, checked to see if by any chance the clutch cable was goofy (didn't seem to be). Checked the foot shifter and the arm, they seemed okay. I am worried something broke somewhere inside the clutch cover, or worse.

I decided to try to nurse the bike back home, got it into first, and noticed more odd behavior. I could shift into higher gears after nudging the shift pedal. So, I would up shift, pedal would be stuck below foot board, but if I nudged it it would come back up, and I could up shift to the next gear. Shifting was a bit choppy though, and seemed stiff and sloppy. At higher speeds shifting seemed to be fine without nudging, but this may be because of vibration.

Any thoughts? What might have broke? I presume removing the side cover to peek inside will entail draining the oil... is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

RTT

Someone smarter than me will chime in soon, it's early.

Comment

• MikeyC
      MikeyC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats scary to see YOU say that Mort, your one of the ones I look to for the definitive answer.

• roadiemort
      roadiemort commented
      Editing a comment
      Clean & lube would be my go answer but the drama and over complicated description scared the hell out of me lol.

It reads like... you've got a first! Alright everybody, lets help RTT out. If he can't see/feel anything not operating correctly on the outside, and it's all moving as it should, and turning the shaft, but what's coming back out of the shaft is not supporting the external shift mechanism as it should... he's going to have to go in, and it will almost certainly be tranny based, and it sure would seem like the motor's gotta come out and the case split!

So, my question becomes... Does anything like he's describing happen when the one little external retaining spring at the shaft into the clutch cover case breaks, and doesn't pull the shaft lever back??? O, that it would be as easy and as simple as that!

Comment

Shifter pivot is full of crust and rust. Been there, done that. The reason you get a box full of neutrals is your moving of the shift shaft forks is incomplete and you get stuck between gears with everything spinning free and no dogs engaged. Pull off the floorboard and take the pedal pivot point apart. It’s full of burnt red dust looking oxides. Clean all that shit off the pivot shaft and out of the bore and lube it generously with a marine grade bearing grease and reassemble.
      It’s gonna be alright. This gearbox is near indestructible.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

• GSB
        GSB commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same problem, your response was 100% correct!! So thank you very, very much!!

That would certainly explain why I've never experienced such an issue before. Every few years, I take that shift lever out, clean and grease the pivot liberally, and reassemble. Whenever I see a friend's producing that rust dust there, I make sure we go into it and do the same. Maintenance goes an awfully long way!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	27485 It’s in the owners manual. A lot of interesting stuff about preventative maintenance in there.

And, you can download them for free from Yamaha’s web site.

That little spring (#3) has enough to do getting the shifting mechanism aligned for the next shift without fighting cruddy pivot points.

Wait till the rear brake pivot shaft starts sticking and partially holds the pressure to the rear caliper and heats up everything.
        Attached Files

Comment

I had that happen on an ATV. In that instance, it broke the internal return spring. It might be worth a look if you don't find anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Questcap View Post
            It reads like... you've got a first! Alright everybody, lets help RTT out. If he can't see/feel anything not operating correctly on the outside, and it's all moving as it should, and turning the shaft, but what's coming back out of the shaft is not supporting the external shift mechanism as it should... he's going to have to go in, and it will almost certainly be tranny based, and it sure would seem like the motor's gotta come out and the case split!

So, my question becomes... Does anything like he's describing happen when the one little external retaining spring at the shaft into the clutch cover case breaks, and doesn't pull the shaft lever back??? O, that it would be as easy and as simple as that!
            Thing is, all the shift shaft springs that keeps everything aligned are internal.

None be seen on the outside of the cases.

Comment

JD is correct.

Comment

• Bikerron
                Bikerron commented
                Editing a comment
                My money’s on JD. RSC FB is full of the same fix.

All,

Thanks everyone, for responses. Not sure about the rust... I looked at all the external linkages, and all are sparkly clean. The bike only has 10,000 miles so far. I really suspect something wrong in the shift shaft mechanism inside the case, hoping nothing more serious. I just changed the oil, so I don't want to pull clutch cover off if it means draining the oil. With time limitations facing me right now, I will probably just take the bike into the shop.

I will let everyone know what the verdict is when I get it back.

RTT

Comment

• roadiemort
                roadiemort commented
                Editing a comment
                2001 with only 10,000 miles is the problem, you can't see the rust JD is talking about, at least spray some penetrating oil on the shift pedal shaft #9 and work it back and forth before you resort to the dealer.

“Not sure about the rust... I looked at all the external linkages, and all are sparkly clean.”

Dude. It’s what you don’t see is where the binding is occurring. The shaft pivots in a bushing and that’s where the problem lies. Shoot each side of the shaft with some penetrating oil and I bet it’ll shift like normal. But, it’ll only be temporary. Needs to be taken apart at the foot shift lever and do what JD said.

Comment

• RTT
                RTT commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the suggestion, I will take another look tomorrow.

It’s got nothing to do with visible rust, and everything to do with things being properly lubed. It doesn’t take much binding, to prevent things from operating smoothly.
              Anything down by the shifter that rotates and or pivots needs to be kept lubed.
              If you’re going to use a spray lube, put plenty on, so it gets everywhere it needs in the joints and pivots. Use a good quality tri lube that has some staying and lubricating property to it, not something like WD-40.

Comment

• RTT
                RTT commented
                Editing a comment
                Skwear, thanks, I'll take another look at it tomorrow.

Did you pull and wiggle all the joints to make sure nothing is stripped or broken. Mine shifted like that and it turned out my shift peddle shaft was broken in the housing, I reached down and pulled the unit and it came out of the pivot. But, I had laid the bike down to break it.
              It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

• RTT
                RTT commented
                Editing a comment
                Mikey, thanks, I'll do some pulling and yanking again tomorrow before going to the shop. I went through and pulled on the shift pedal, linkages etc. when I was on the side of the road the other day, all seemed intact, but you never know, you might see something in the garage you don't see when you are on the curb.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid." Well, looking back on it, lot of my life is making sense now!

Just started having similar problems with my 2003. Sometimes, but not always, when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd the shifter will fall all the way down to first position while still being in 2nd gear making it impossible to shift into first. And I’ve had the same issue shifting up into 3rd only to have the shifter stuck all the way up and unable to shift into higher gears. I’ve found that if I tap the shifter in the opposite direction it’ll reset itself into the proper position and I can continue shifting. I’m curious if you had any other problems or if a simple tear down and lubricate did the job.

Comment

• RTT
                RTT commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, I never quite figured it out. I didn't dig into the box, I just took all the linkages apart and reassembled. Nothing broken, no signs of dirt or rust, most still had some grease on them. But I cleaned everything, put grease on all the rubbing bits, made sure everything was tight and adjusted properly, and haven't had a problem since.

RTT

One way to find out.

Comment

• J89k
                J89k commented
                Editing a comment
                My thoughts exactly. Lubing the shift shaft should take less than 15 minutes.

• LUV4RS
                LUV4RS commented
                Editing a comment
                Gonna drain oil, tear her apart, clean and lube, and then ad Barnett spring kit just for good measure.

• Bikerron
                Bikerron commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow!

So not go to a dealer unless you want to spend $300 and have the problem not be fixed.
              LET'S RIDE

Comment

• LUV4RS
                LUV4RS commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like you’ve run into the same issue before? Dealer couldn’t help you out?

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by thunderace4, 25 minutes ago
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post texasscott1  
            Started by MikeyC, 12 hours ago
            11 responses
            2 likes
            Last Post DEEPHATE  
            Started by Father Pobasturd, 21 hours ago