Oil Drain Bolt stuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Drain Bolt stuck

Well, after two hours in the garage cussing and swearing over the oil drain bolt, I have decided to give up and check here for a solution. The main oil drain bolt, the front one, is so tightly locked in I can't get it out. I have nearly rounded off the bolt head trying to get that sucker off, so now things are even worse than before. I stepped down from a 17 mm to a 11/16 box end wrench for a tighter fit, but even when I get a tight purchase on the plug there is no budging that thing. Any ideas on how to get this thing off?

Just to vent a little, I bought this bike last fall... started to do some work, but I found that nearly every bolt on this thing is tightened down so hard that I have had to use breaker bars routinely to remove all kinds of bolts on this thing. I bought a 3 foot pipe last year to lengthen my torque wrench enough so I could loosen bolts to align the rear axle. Really? Whoever worked on this bike before me never heard of a torque wrench. It seems they cranked down every bolt they could as hard as they could.

Now the oil drain plug... I should have changed the oil last fall when I bought the dang thing, have put on about a thousand miles so far, so reckoned way past due. But this is absolutely ridiculous. I have changed oil on multiple bikes over the last few decades, never have I seen something like this. Doesn't help I can't get in there with a socket.

Any suggestions are welcome.

RTT

First, don’t use a pipe to extend a torque wrench, you could damage the wrench or mess up the calibration. Just add your pipe to a simple breaker bar. Remember, you have two engine oil drain plugs, plus a transfer case drain plug that is on the right rear side. Use a Dremel tool to clean up the bolt head, then use a smaller size wrench. Then use a little heat from a propane torch to loosen the bolt.

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• RTT
      RTT commented
      Editing a comment
      Shores,

Thanks, I'll give the torch a try. I should have been clearer on the pipe... I actually have one of those jointed socket handles... not a ratchet, just a handle with a socket. A pipe fits neatly over the handle when I need to crank on something, but have rarely had to do that before.

shock. A flat punch and a two pound sledge . one good wack on one of the flats. Might work. or heat. just my 0:02

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

• RTT
      RTT commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll put a torch on it. I think my language earlier should have been enough to shock it plenty, but I have a big old punch I can pop in there and give a whack after I try the heating it up.

Sounds like someone liked red locktite lol. Try some heat.

Comment

• RTT
      RTT commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll go the heat route, see what happens.

I agree with heating it up, first time I changed mine it was like that.

Comment

• RTT
      RTT commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try.

Go to 4:50 in the video ( I can’t believe there aren’t more videos about this old trick!) and, after you heat the plug, take a cold chisel and give it a whack such as in the video.

Comment

This is a cold chisel.

Comment

• RTT
        RTT commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, tried the cold chisel too. No go.

Well, tried applying the torch... heated things up probably a bit more than I should have. I tried a little at first, then more, and then more until I was getting a fair amount of smoke from the area. Smacked it with a punch a few times as well. That thing isn't budging. Unfortunately, ended up rounding the plug even more. Taking it in to the shop on Monday.

Comment

Holy cow that’s tight. Silly question, but you weren’t tightening it by mistake?

Comment

• Spydr
          Spydr commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you said it, cuz that's what I was thinking... Just didn't want to say it.

• RTT
          RTT commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I think I know left from right. Unless the oil drain plug is a reverse thread, I wasn't tightening it. But thanks.

Always use 6 point wrenches and sockets when you can and not 12 point.

Comment

I think it might be time to drill that sucker out of there. Its probably cross threaded so you are gonna have to go to an oversized drain plug

Comment

Tried again this morning. Just too frustrated now. I went to hardware store yesterday to buy a new craftsman box wrench. Turns out there isn't enough clearance in between the oil plug and that curve in the motor to fit the box wrench in there... an old 11/16 box end wrench fits in, but it is 12 pt and doesn't get a good grip. Not enough clearance between plug and engine to get a pipe wrench or vice grips in there. Tried to pop a 6 pt socket in there to see if I could put a pipe wrench on the socket, but not enough clearance with frame. Heated it with a propane torch until I was certain I was going to set the bike on fire. No good. Bashed it with a cold chisel just like in the video until I took out some chunks of the plug. Didn't budge.

All of this for a stupid oil change.

Comment

Do you have a 6 point 17mm wrench that you could grind thinner to fit between frame? That’s how I got mine out from previous owner. I had to lift the bike on a jack to use the second wrench hooked on the thin 17 to get the leverage needed. (Not sure how to explain it but I assume people know that you can hook 2 combination wrenches together for more leverage when using the closed end on the bolt.

Comment

Time for a new bike!

Comment

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the bike into the shop yesterday. The approach they took was to use a cold chisel (so Bikerron wins the prize), which I had been using, but they first used a grinder to grind a slot into the bolt, and then applied the cold chisel. I had been trying to whack a groove into the bolt so I could get some purchase, but wasn't getting anywhere. They said it still took more work than they expected, so it was seriously frozen. It probably also helped that they have a lift that can get the bike up seriously high so they could probably whack on it more than I could... my jack only goes up a little less than two feet, and I couldn't get enough of a swing with the sledge hammer on the cold chisel.

When I went in, they said worst case was that, if plug was cross threaded, they would have to pull the engine and replace the whole case... talking quite a lot of money for an oil change if it had gotten to that. Can't simply drill out and replace the bolt because there isn't clearance for a bigger bolt.

The folks at the shop got to it right away... I had forgotten to bring in the oil and filter I had at home, so went home to grab it, and by the time I got back, they had the bolt out and showed it to me (see the attached picture). They had the oil changed within another twenty minutes. Total bill for the extraction, oil change and replacement plug was $113. So I dodged a bullet.

Thanks again everyone. :-)

RTT

Comment

A serious case of if a little bit of torque is good, a lot is better!!!
                    Peace,
                    Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
                    (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

Was the gasket washer missing? That could cause it. And you wouldn't have to replace the case, guess they never heard of a time-sert. Glad you got it fixed.
                      Scott B.

Comment

I'm very surprised that the bolt didn't strip out the threads in the case when it was put in that tight.
                        About 2 years ago I was changing my oil, and when tightening the oil plug I noticed that the oil plug became loose while tightening. I turned it a little more and it became snug and that's where I stopped. I didn't think I was over tightening the plug, but had my doubts.
                        I have left it this way and afraid to remove it. SO I've been changing my oil thru the oil tank only, but doing the changes twice as much because it only uses 2 1/2 quarts. Oil is staying clean so far.

I'm planning on putting in a Perma-Coil the next time I remove the engine, which might be 10 years down the road.
                        I don't think a person would need to change the case, but not 100% about that?
                        Duke.

Comment

1/2" live well boat plug in emergency.

Comment

Pull the bad plug and take it to a reputable auto store and tell them you want a replacement, self tapping, drain plug.

Good ones are a tad oversize, and if done right, they’ll cut some new threads for a complete seal.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM
                            1,677 responses
                            3 likes
                            Last Post roadiemort  
                            Started by CBOB, 6 hours ago
                            6 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Duke