Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Won't start after sitting more than a couple days.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't start after sitting more than a couple days.

I have a 2005 and I admit that I let it sit over the winter without "winterizing".

I got it out to ride this season and it did not want to start. I could pull the throttle two or three times and it would turn over and quickly die.

I drained the tank and put premium in and it still does not want to start. So I take off the breather and spray fuel into the carb while holding the throttle open. It takes about 15 seconds to run on its own.

I ride it all last week to work and back (54 miles round trip). It starts right up and I ride it with no hiccups. Choke works fine, no other issues. I went through a couple tanks of fuel and ran some seafoam through it.

From Friday to Monday, same issue again. It does not want to start. So after sitting a couple days, it does not want to start with having to feed it like before.

Any ideas?

Have you drain the bowl on the carb? Check the plugs? Air filter?

Comment

• Federale
      Federale commented
      Editing a comment
      Not drained. New plugs, new filter.

Please take some time to fill in the information in your profile. It's where we go to find out what we need to know before offering advice. Without it, we are merely guessing.
    Peace,
    Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
    (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

• Federale
      Federale commented
      Editing a comment
      Will take care of that 8-)

BTW, you're probably going to have to remove tha carb and do a depp clean soak. You might try to add a healty dose (a half can or more) of sea-foam to your gas tank and then ride it like it was stolen. If that doesn't work, then it's the deep clean route.
    Peace,
    Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
    (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

• daveto
      daveto commented
      Editing a comment
      If you add half can of seafoam to a full tank of new fuel, does the bike smoke badly? Thanks

• Federale
      Federale commented
      Editing a comment
      No. It has a little smoke when first starting, but not a lot

No need to use premium fuel. Wasting $ and does not improve performance with our low compression engine. Drain the carb bowel. Use some MMO also between Seafoam. Don’t do that again next winter.

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Federale
      Federale commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'm off work tomorrow will give these ideas a try.

Originally posted by Federale View Post
    I have a 2005 and I admit that I let it sit over the winter without "winterizing".

I got it out to ride this season and it did not want to start. I could pull the throttle two or three times and it would turn over and quickly die.

I drained the tank and put premium in and it still does not want to start. So I take off the breather and spray fuel into the carb while holding the throttle open. It takes about 15 seconds to run on its own.

I ride it all last week to work and back (54 miles round trip). It starts right up and I ride it with no hiccups. Choke works fine, no other issues. I went through a couple tanks of fuel and ran some seafoam through it.

From Friday to Monday, same issue again. It does not want to start. So after sitting a couple days, it does not want to start with having to feed it like before.

Any ideas?
    First off, follow the advice about the Seafoam/MMo, etc. Also, the advice about putting the bike to bed in the winter with fresh full in the tank, that has been treated with something like Stabil. You want the treated fuel circulated thru the carb, also. Add it at the gas station, and ride the bike home.

Two things.

1. Always use the Enricher when trying to start a cold bike. Pull it out, and leave it out at least halfway after the bike starts running, until you push it all the way in when the bike is up to operating temp(maybe five to 10 miles. Usually when the bike is warm enough, you can push the enricher in and the bike will idle fine.

2. If the symptoms continue, you might try bypassing the fuel pump, by running a line from the petcock directly to the carb. The bike will run just fine like that, and if it is the pump, it should clear up any problems.

When starting the bike with the Enricher pulled out, don't touch the throttle. The Enricher works with vacuum. As soon as you roll the throttle, it opens the throttle plate in the carb throat and your vacuum is gone. The vacuum is gone, as well as, the extra fuel and air the enricher was supplying to help start the bike.

Comment

• Federale
      Federale commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen to your first comment.

#1 is my usual way of starting out.

#2 was what I was wondering about. I will look into that after the seafoam advice.

I did not know about your last comment on the enriched. Now I know 8-)

I was figuring I was going to be led to the carb, but it runs so fine after I get it started and if I don't let it sit for more than a couple days. I was thinking it might be the pump or something else.

Thank ya'll for the replies. I'll be working on it tomorrow.

Ok. Took the carb off and removed everything I could and cleaned and put MMO through it. I didn't remove the float bowl because the screws wanted to strip out.

It seems to start much better now. I did forget to turn on the fuel supply one time and it was hard to start. I think the fuel pump might not be working properly. It doesn't make any noise when I turn the ignition key on like it used to. I'll go ahead and get that replaced.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Federale View Post
      ......I think the fuel pump might not be working properly. It doesn't make any noise when I turn the ignition key on like it used to. I'll go ahead and get that replaced.

Thanks a lot for the help!
      Don’t replace it. Eliminate it. Lots of threads here how to do that.

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Dump the pump! Many here have (myself included). Not only do you eliminate a potential problem (pump failure) but you lose 11 pounds off the left side of your bike, more air can get to the motor to cool it, and it just looks better without it. There are instructions here how to do it and plenty of people here to guide you though the process. I'ts not too hard to do.

Last edited by Father Pobasturd; 05-15-2018, 02:58 PM. Reason: Fish are jumping, cottons high.

Comment

don't twist the throttle before starting. just pull the choke and hit the start button.

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

when turning on the key the pump will only come on long enough to fill the fuel bowl and then shut off until the level in the fuel bowl goes down again. If the fuel bowl is full and there is a couple lbs of pressure in the system you won't hear the pump.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Dcspurlock, 1 day ago
            13 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Deerkiller  
            Started by FDRUCaptain, 1 day ago
            28 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Doc_V