Intermittent no start condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent no start condition

Problem i am having is every morning, I have to jump start the bike. Itll ride fine afterwards. I ride to work, shut it off. Starts fine a few hours later for lunch. But then at the end of the day, no start again. I cant seem to find a pattern in why it does not start. It turns over fairly slow when it is acting up. Decompression solenoid is working, and I even attempted to nudge it manually to make sure, but it appears to be actuating completely.

I also have a brand new battery. 2, actually. Since I wanted to be sure it wasn't the battery.

Cables are all new, upgraded to larger gauge, and triple checked they are tight and corrosion free.

Starter solenoid is new and I have jumped the posts a few times with same results, so I think I can eliminate this as a problem.

I have brand new spark plugs as well.

Few things that I am unsure if they're related or not. I am pumpless and I also do not have TPS as I am running the HRS42 with the dynatech ecu. I have a used starter I was given, but this issue existed on my prior starter as well. Figured I'd try swapping starters for the hell of it before buying a new one. That being said, when I am trying to start it, I noticed the starter gets extremely hot after a few seconds (15-20seconds). Makes me think I have resistance somewhere? Guessing, as electrical is not something I'm very good at and have no idea how to chase down resistance somewhere.

One thing I plan to try still is verifying ground for the starter by attaching a cable to the negative battery terminal. But any other ideas and stuff to check would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the starter and take it completely apart and clean out all the crap. once you get it running make sure your RPM is set for 900 or 950.

Comment

Could it be the after market ecu?
      It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

1) Buy a volt meter. Can’t diagnose an electrical system without one. (Get one and get back with us on how to use it.)

2) Keep your cranking times short. 15-20 second episodes on the starter button is asking for trouble. Battery posts start to melt. Soldered contacts in the starter will do the same. Wait till the contacts in the starter relay weld themselves together and the only way to stop it from cranking by itself is remove one of the battery cables. That one is always attention getter.

If an engine is running right it should start on a healthy battery within 3-4 seconds.

Comment

Question #1….. are you sure the decompression solenoid is working?…. Remove the cover over it and confirm the unit is working correctly if it seems to slow crank…. It might present itself as something as simple as that….

I have experienced the carb bowl evaporating since i shut the fuel petcock off when i park it in the garage. I am pumpless as well with the grizzly float bowl needle… sometimes i will open the tank filler cap and blow in the tank to pressurize the tank and force fuel into the carberator foat bowl. The bike starts right up within 2-3 crank revolutions (about 3 seconds on my 2006 roadstar1700)…. This assumes you have good spark and carb tune…. Please remember to re-install the tank filler cap before you ride anywhere… if it works… it works…!!

Do these suggestions come off as “back yard mechanic” gibberish…? Probably so…. But sometimes a little red neck problem solving eliminates quite a few un-knowns before tackling a dissasembly project…. A voltmeter will let you know if the battery is dragged down too low during cranking to allow the ecu to function properly…. Probably the best $20-30 purchase you can have for chasing those electrical gremlins… anything below 11.5 volts would most likely affect the proper operation of the ecu during the starting cycle…

Comment

With enough beer you can do anything...D.Pate

Comment

Brand of starter solenoid?
              Clean your contacts in right hand controls (push button for starter. Mean contacts/spring real good)
              LET'S RIDE

Comment

Just a guess here but I think it sounds like the starter. You say you were given a used starter. You have to wonder why the starter was removed from the bike it used to be on??? I'm gonna say probably because the guy was having starting issues. I'll bet that if you take it apart you will find worn brushes and a bunch of carbon built up under the back brush cover. I'll also bet the commutator is almost all black with no copper color showing and needs to be cleaned up. You might even find a crack in the brush plate.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Ahodge75, 13 hours ago
              13 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post roadiemort  
              Started by coolalexrex, 2 hours ago
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post davej