Motor running very poorly - want to improove my skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor running very poorly - want to improove my skills

I am worried about my bike which I like very much. And I started my career as a hobby „mechanic“ only 4 months ago. So please be patient with me. I read a lot but also need advice, help and motivating words

My bike:
    2005 XV1700 Roadstar VP17 AMT.

The troubles:
    Since some days my motor is running very poorly: At each stop the motor turns off and when slowing down it is loudly banging/explosions.
    Without stepping on the gas all the time the motor can‘t be started and run.

Yesterday I inspected my bike. The results:
    • The sparkplugs from the rear cylinder are dark brown/black and from the front cylinder WHITE:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	x-Zuendkerzen_seitlich.jpg Views:	2 Size:	636.6 KB ID:	124009 Click image for larger version  Name:	x-Zuendkerzen_hinten.jpg Views:	2 Size:	557.0 KB ID:	124008
    • The side of the manifold to the front cylinder only is black and oily outside and a piece of rubber under the screw is brocken off:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	x-Ansaugstutzen_Manifold.jpg Views:	2 Size:	579.4 KB ID:	124006
    • The carburetor is black inside - zoom into the photo an you'll see it:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	x-Blick_in_Vergaser.jpg Views:	2 Size:	697.8 KB ID:	124010

What I did before the truble began:
    • Changed oil: 4.3 quarts out -> 4.3 quarts in. Since some days I know 4 quarts is better - I will do it next time - but it can not be the problem because the same amount has been in before for years.
    • Changed the OEM airfilter against a K&N and sprayed too much K&N filteroil on it … I found a puddle of oil in the airfilter cover:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	x-Oelpfuetze_im_Luftfilterdeckel.jpg Views:	2 Size:	645.6 KB ID:	124007

What I did after the trouble began:
    • Changed the sparkplugs yesterday
    So that's all I can say about the problem now.
    Who likes to help me to become a better hobby „mechanic“ and quickly solve the problem to ride again soon ?
    Attached Files

I would remove the intake manifold and inspect it at the crack. If that hole tab is broken the manifold will have to be replaced. The oil is coming from the rubber hose going into the back of the airbox from the crankcase vent. remove the hose from the back of the airbox and run it to down and under the bike or to up under the fuel tank and put a breather element or small paper filter on it.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
      I would remove the intake manifold and inspect it at the crack. If that hole tab is broken the manifold will have to be replaced. The oil is coming from the rubber hose going into the back of the airbox from the crankcase vent. remove the hose from the back of the airbox and run it to down and under the bike or to up under the fuel tank and put a breather element or small paper filter on it.
      Do I understand it right: the oil on the manifold is coming through the broken manifold and the oil in the airbox is coming through the crancase vent?
      So two different problems or could they have a common cause?

Comment

The oil in the filter housing is coming from the rubber crankcase vent that goes to the back of the airbox. The flangs has an aluminum flange under the rubber, If the aluminum flange is broken or cracked then you will need to replace the manifold. If it isn't broken I would still remove it and reseal it.

Comment

When you drain the oil, did you remove both drain plugs? There is a oil drain plug at the front left of the engine and there is another one at the rear right underneath the oil tank. If you only pulled one and drained 4 quarts then you have too much oil in the engine. The oil inside your air filter box is being blown out the tube that attaches to the back of the box and then also attaches to the top of the rear cylinder valve cover. This often occurs when the engine has too much oil. Is your idle set for about 900 or 950 rpm? When did it last run well? Has it sat all winter and possibly has ethanol fuel that has turned to gel in the fuel system?

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
            [...]
            Yes I removed both drain plugs and changed the filter.
            It last run well before the motoroil change and the change from OEM- to K&N airfilter.
            In winter there was only a pause of 4 weeks.

Comment

The flangs has an aluminum flange under the rubber, If the aluminum flange is broken or cracked then you will need to replace the manifold. If it isn't broken I would still remove it and reseal it.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	x-Ansaugstutzen_Manifold-2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	589.7 KB ID:	124037 Click image for larger version  Name:	x-Ansaugstutzen_Manifold-zoom.jpg Views:	3 Size:	238.6 KB ID:	124038
              I have optimized the photo a little: Does this really look as if repairing is an option?

The XV1700 VP17 was never offered in Germany, so everyone is an US-import. And this way parts are difficult to buy in Germany. Ordering in US takes 2-4 weeks without driving my bike :-( . Does the manifold of the XV1600, which was offered in Germany, fits on my bike or any other idea?

Attached Files

Comment

getor-shop on ebay germany they have an intake manifold, they have a intake for a 1700 warrior, but it looks like a road star intake to me as the warrior has 2 small intake manifolds, if i'm wrong someone will no on this forum

Comment

You are gonna have to remove the intake manifold to see if it is just the rubber cracked or if it is the aluminum flange broken. If it is just the rubber there is no problem. The intake needs to be removed and resealed at minimum. A Warrior intake won't work

Comment

You are gonna have to remove the intake manifold to see if it is just the rubber cracked or if it is the aluminum flange broken. If it is just the rubber there is no problem. The intake needs to be removed and resealed at minimum. A Warrior intake won't work
                    I try to understand, what is happening. Could the story be the following:

White sparkplugs means lean mixture and that means either not enough fuel or to much air. But only the spark plugs from the front cylinder are white that does not sound like "not enough fuel from the carburetor" .... otherwise the rear cylinder sparkplugs would be white also. So it must be "too much air" ... and again it can't come from the carburetor, because otherwise both cylinders sparkplugs would be white.
                    It could be the manifold. The white spark plugs are one hint, the other hint is the oil on the manifold at the front cylinder side and the explosions from there.
                    Does this story make sense?

And yes: I haven't removed the manifold till now, because the carburetor has to be removed therefore and I want to read a little bit more about the carburator and the parts fastened at it, to be sure to get it back at the bike But I am nearby to dare removing the carburetor

Comment

removing the carb isn't a big deal. it is only held on by 1 clamp, You don't have to remove it from the bike you can hang it with a tie wrap or wire and let it just hang there if you don't want to remove it all the way. You are correct you have an air leak at the manifold going to the front cylinder. . As I said you will have to remove the manifold to see if it is from the crack or if it just needs to be resealed. Air leaks at the manifold are a very common thing with these bikes.

Comment

removing the carb isn't a big deal. it is only held on by 1 clamp, You don't have to remove it from the bike you can hang it with a tie wrap or wire and let it just hang there if you don't want to remove it all the way. You are correct you have an air leak at the manifold going to the front cylinder. . As I said you will have to remove the manifold to see if it is from the crack or if it just needs to be resealed. Air leaks at the manifold are a very common thing with these bikes.
                        Ok, you have encouraged me to remove the manifold today

Since I could get a manifold for a XV1600 I look if it could fit on my XV1700.

At partzilla.com I found:
                        Yamaha ROAD STAR SILVERADO - XV1600ATN
                        4WM-13586-01-00

Yamaha ROAD STAR MIDNIGHT - XV17AMT
                        5VN-13586-01-00

The partnumber differs only in the first three characters. Are the parts the same and fit both on the 1700?

Comment

The 1st 3 characters of the part number is what distinguishes the difference in the part. 5VN is a 1700 and 4WM means 1600. They are not interchangeable. The rest of the part number only identifies the part as a intake manifold nd if there were any revisions or updates on the part.

Comment

I like your deductive reasoning. I'm learning a lot just watching this thread.
                            It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

I am as well. After reading davej response above I had to go to a parts lookup to satisfy my curiosity. (BubbaKahuna had replied in another post about a fuel pump being interchangeable between 1600/1700 models)

So I looked up the tail light assembly for both a 2000 and 2004 Road Star. The older one has a different 3 digit prefix from the newer one. But the remainder of the part number matches. Of course neither tail light looks anything like the other so I didn't expect those to interchange.

But in the case of the fuel pump mentioned in another thread, they have different part numbers but are interchangeable. So is that with a bit of modification?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything within the part number or a way to see what parts are interchangeable between 1600/1700 models.

Comment

The importeur of my XV1700 said the manifold of the XV1600 fits. davej, partzilla and a big german shop said it does not fit: Thats 1:3.
                                If the 1600 would fit I could fix the problem in a couple of days - otherwise I have to wait at least 3 weeks to get the manifold from partzilla.

Either it is only the sealing or I have to sit in the garden while friends are cruising

Comment

From the horses mouth @ Yamaha.http://www.customrider.com/files/Yamaha_PN_Decipher.pdf

Comment

A few options to try:
                                    Fill the crack with epoxy and order the new manifold. You can ride your bike while you wait for the part to arrive.
                                    Use silicone caulk to seal the leak while you wait for your new manifold to arrive. You will be able to ride and also find out if this is your only problem. Remember, we have established that your cracked manifold is a problem but we don't know that it is your ONLY problem.
                                    Find someone to TIG weld the crack and reinstall the manifold with new gaskets.I would still order a new one.
                                    Search other alternative aftermarket manifolds. Maybe someone here knows of one. I don't own a 1700.

Comment

didnt you see the one i found in germany ?

Comment

If you have a Yamaha dealer near you give them the Yamaha part number for the correct manifold and have them order it. If they have access to Yamaha parts they should be able to order it. Or call the host of this forum "Rock River Powersports" and My guess is that they will ship it to you

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                        Started by coolalexrex, 1 hour ago
                                        1 response
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post davej
                                        by davej

Started by NCB, 1 week ago
                                        18 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post NCB
                                        by NCB

Started by Ahodge75, 13 hours ago
                                        9 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post NCB
                                        by NCB

Started by TheDukeOfYamaha, 18 hours ago
                                        3 responses
                                        1 like
                                        Last Post Tcontrol  
                                        Started by BloodMoney, 4 days ago
                                        5 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post BloodMoney  
                                        Started by CanadaboyA, 19 hours ago
                                        2 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post CanadaboyA  
                                        Started by CanadaboyA, 1 week ago
                                        13 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post CanadaboyA  
                                        Started by roadiemort, 1 day ago
                                        0 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post roadiemort  
                                        Started by Jaybo, 02-26-2021, 10:22 PM
                                        234 responses
                                        3 likes
                                        Last Post YamaDave  
                                        Started by VinnieRSC, 1 day ago
                                        8 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post VinnieRSC  
                                        Started by Shores, 3 days ago
                                        18 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Shores
                                        by Shores

Started by AR. Hillbilly, 03-13-2021, 07:23 AM
                                        62 responses
                                        1 like
                                        Last Post AR. Hillbilly  
                                        Started by Kevin Gibson, 2 days ago
                                        25 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Kevin Gibson  
                                        Started by Papi, 1 week ago
                                        5 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Shores
                                        by Shores

Started by Cwjackson2021, 6 days ago
                                        13 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Ace
                                        by Ace

Started by BlueRidgeSasquatch, 6 days ago
                                        15 responses
                                        1 like
                                        Last Post Ace
                                        by Ace

Started by Kmartcivic, 1 week ago
                                        4 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Kmartcivic  
                                        Started by Texter, 1 day ago
                                        0 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Texter