Little oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little oil leak

Took my bike out in the curves of tortilla flats in az. I looked about and it seems the side covers under the seat are getting a coating of oil. Any ideas as to what might be causing that leak? It’s hard to tell because stuff is everywhere, and I just cleaned it so I know it’s not old stuff...

check the rubber hose coming off the top of the valve cover.

Comment

• Horsehammerr
      Horsehammerr commented
      Editing a comment
      Found a very tiny crack in that hose where it connected to the oil tank , simply cut just past the crack and hooked back on . NO PROBLEM ! Did get a new hose later .

Make sure your dipstick is screwed all the way in. Make sure the breather hose from your oil tank under your seat is connected to the rear cylinder valve cover. Make sure you are not overfilling it with oil and it is blowing out the intake and spraying backward. A lot of folks insist on using the dipstick to check the oil and that is a bad idea. The dipstick is notoriously inaccurate and these engines do not burn oil or drip oil. When you change the oil make sure you pull both drain plugs, one for the engine and one for the oil tank. Then add two quarts to the oil tank, reinstall the dipstick, run the engine for 15 seconds, and add the other two quarts.

Comment

Thanks guys I’m checking it out now. I appreciate it.

Comment

It's very common to find these bikes overfilled with oil, mine was when I got it.

What a perfect day to ride Tortilla Flats. I bet there were lots of bikes out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Pobasturd View Post
          It's very common to find these bikes overfilled with oil, mine was when I got it.

What a perfect day to ride Tortilla Flats. I bet there were lots of bikes out there.
          We passed probably 100 or so bikes. My girlfriend rode her iron 883 sportster this time so i was able to really have at the curves and kind of have fun with it. Great weather, great food, it was really nice.

Back on topic, i think I found a little bit of that leak, it looks like it's coming out the clutch linkage area. The shift linkage is also all gummed up on the rear end of the that. I checked over the engine, and I don't see anything coming from the valve cover or anywhere around the motor. I'm still not sure how it all got up by the side covers. I'll figure it out for sure though, it's very possible it's overfilled, I took it to a guy to do a bunch of checks and had him to the oil... They may have only removed the bolt on the left side of the bike and not the other one...

Comment

• Shores
            Shores commented
            Editing a comment
            You can easily replace the seals at the clutch and shift linkage areas. Over filling with oil and then oil blowing out the breather hose that attaches to the back side of the intake box is common. Wipe all oil off the engine and see where it reappears. Change your own oil and filter. It’s easy. The best thing you can do for your bike is quit taking it to any mechanic. That’s what this forum is for, to teach you to do stuff on your own. I haven’t been to Tortilla Flats since it started growing in the 60s.

Thank you Shores. Going forward that's definitely my plan. When i took it in I had just bought it and hadn't found this forum or the FB group yet. After seeing how easy it is to do everything, I doubt I'll be taking it in for anything any time soon.

I saw something about the seal for the clutch linkage on the FB group and have already got one on order. So that should be fixed soon.

Tortilla Flat was nice, if you have a chance, the ride is fantastic if you enjoy the curves. It's paved up until a little past the saloon and shop.

Comment

• Shores
            Shores commented
            Editing a comment
            I've lived in Washington state since 1988. I was raised in Coolidge. When I was young, my family would drive in our car along the dirt road I believe from Apache lake to Roosevelt lake, maybe Canyon lake. Can't remember but it was a narrow one lane with a sheer cliff on one side and the mountain on the other. Had to back up to pass. That was when there was nothing at superstition junction other than a weird, freak animal zoo.

• AZRoadie
            AZRoadie commented
            Editing a comment
            My dad had taken a 20 some foot Winnebago on the road in the late 70's. Almost drove it down the hill because it was super narrow and he had to pass a disabled truck, swears up and down he dangled a wheel over the edge.

Right now the area is washed out since late 2019 and you can't go from Canyon Lake to Apache Lake, but you can go from Roosevelt back down to Apache Lake.

What part of WA are you in? Drove from Phoenix all the way up the coast one year stopping in Bellingham, then headed through Cascade range. Fantastic routes up there. You guys have some crazy amazing scenery.

It turns out it wasn’t an oil leak. It had a bit of oil in it. But the fuel level sender and the petcock were both leaking so much fuel and splattering on surfaces that they picked up any dirt or grime or oils and deposited them on the side cover.

I need to get a petcock repair kit or a new petcock. And I need to redo the seal for the fuel sender unit. I’ll go through our forum sponsor if I can get the items from them.

Comment

The gasket for the fuel tank is like 15 bucks and the whole sending unit is like 52 or 62 dollars and comes with gasket. I'd replace the whole thing, I would also remove the whole petcock and make sure it's in good proper working order and replace the gasket on that too using permatex non hardening gasket sealer on the threads and make sure you get 4 new washers . Two for each the petcock and the fuel sending unit. You may need them you may not the ones I got were special washers with a gasket on one side and steel and the other. You may have problems with the tank too if it wasn't maintained properly

Comment

If I recall correctly others have mentioned the washers need to be installed correctly or the sending unit can leak. Might be worth starting a new thread asking that question by itself.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by 6door7r, 9 hours ago
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post 6door7r
              by 6door7r

Started by roadiemort, 2 hours ago
              0 responses
              0 likes