Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch issue - anybody experienced the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch issue - anybody experienced the same?

Howdy folks! I'm a fairly new rider, and fairly new to the forum, riding a 2000 Road Star 1600 Silverado. I was in a neighborhood rec center parking lot with my brother-in-law today practicing some slow speed stuff on a little cone course we set up (been watching a lot of Jerry Palladino and new to YouTube guy called Robert Simmons lately), when something awfully strange happened. I went to stop the bike at a stop sign (to ride around the block to cool the bike down and reset for another pass) still in 1st gear, when the clutch lever all of a sudden felt super sloppy, and the bike was trying to lurch forward even with the clutch lever pulled completely in. As I was trying to figure out what in the world was going on, the bike stalled (still with the clutch lever pulled completely in, and the bike not moving at the stop sign).

I went to restart the bike, thinking I must have had a newbie rider brain fart and done something stupid, but when I hit the starter (with the clutch pulled in, still in first gear) the bike lurched forward, which tells me the clutch is not disengaging properly. I let the bike cool down for a few minutes while my BIL ran his bike home (around the block), and came back to help me push my bike to his house for now (I was able to rock it back and forth and get it into neutral). Let me tell you, it's a bundle of fun pushing 750lbs of motorcycle around the corner, and uphill half a block!

When we got the bike back to my BIL's house, I checked everything again, and the clutch was as tight as it usually is, and appeared to disengage properly. I didn't want to risk riding the bike the 4 miles back to my house in case the problem were to return, especially crossing a fairly busy street between my neighborhood and his, so left it in his garage for the time being. Has anybody experienced anything similar? Anybody have an idea of where to start looking for potential causes? I'm a service guy by career in the boat world, so not afraid to start taking stuff apart, but not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I appreciate any insight, and happy to clarify if my explanation doesn't make sense. Thanks!

Check the cable. Sounds like it’s starting to fray. This leaves them feeling spongy and erratic.

Comment

• matthewrosspeebles
      matthewrosspeebles commented
      Editing a comment
      I wondered the same thing. Just ordered a clutch cable...even if it's not an issue now, I doubt it was ever replaced, so cheap insurance!

If not cable... Then you got the oil too hot and heated up the clutch... Could have hurt the clutch but I would change oil and see how that works...make sure to use a quality synthetic vtwin wet clutch specific oil.... If you don't want to screw around and research and get a million opinions... Go buy 4bquarts if either Amsoil Vtwin or Mobil 1 v twin. Period. Not car oil. Not anything else... Just one of those two specific products. K&N 303 oil filter or a NAPA filter readily available....

Try that and see if you have the same problem and report back.
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

• matthewrosspeebles
      Editing a comment
      I've ordered a clutch cable to install as cheap insurance, however I think you're likely correct. There's no telling what the previous owner was running for oil. Judging from other things I've found on the bike (like the VERY undersized lawn tractor battery I just replaced with the proper size), it wouldn't surprise me if he was running the $1 per quart Wal-Mart special oil. I just confirmed my local O'Reilly Auto has both the filter and oil, will pick up tomorrow and knock out an oil change. I planned to knocking out a service soon, however soon quickly moved up to this week! Appreciate the input!

• 6door7r
      6door7r commented
      Editing a comment
      Where did you find a cable for $30? Got a link? I was just about to buy a barnett cable for 2x the price.

• matthewrosspeebles
      Editing a comment
      Found on Partzilla https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...MB-26335-00-00

It would be pretty easy to tell if you're cable was broken. When you squeeze the lever does the arm on the left side of the engine move. If it ran fine before and all you did was the low speed stuff in the parking lot, then I would suspect that that's your problem like lug nut said, hot oil. Keep it simple...... Don't overthink it.

Comment

• matthewrosspeebles
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, however being a 20 year old bike, I'm a firm believer in cheap insurance. The push lever moves fine, however for $30, it's worth replacing the cable before it fails at a bad time. It also may be frayed somewhere inside the sheath, and temporarily bound up.

• 6door7r
      6door7r commented
      Editing a comment
      I started looking at my cable after this and realized I didn't have any free play. I adjusted it but I intend on buying a new cable either way. As soon as I touched my clutch lever, it would start pulling the arm at the bottom of the cable.

I saw my brothers V-Star do that during a parade we were in. Some DA put us behind some Cub Scouts on foot and some of the littler ones short legs caused a very slow pace. Some riders duck walked their bikes in neutral and others like my brother tried to stay in 1st and use the clutch to keep from running up on the little fellers. He pulled his clutch in and it wouldn't disengage. Luckily he had room to roll out of formation before he ran into the Scouts. When his bike cooled off, everything was back to normal.

Comment

Funny because this just happened to me a week ago after doing some slow riding in a parking lot. It was only about 5-10 minutes but it was weird because i've done the same for hours on a Harley and didn't have the same issue. Both a cable and hydraulic clutch on the Harley.

Comment

Yes your free play is what needs adjustment when everything heats up, happens to me in stop and go summer traffic on super hot days.

Comment

I used to carry an emergency cable repair kit VENHILL I believe in my bag for just emergencies not to get stranded. Don't have it as I ran across a soldier on a crotch rocket pulled off the road side tinkering with the bike. Stopped to offer assistance and found he'd popped his clutch cable, being in my truck and my home close by I retrieved it and passed it on to him for a simple thank you I've yet to get around to replace the kit but I routinely inspect my cables and lube the pivot points for grins....

Click image for larger version  Name:	#1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	115983

Comment

• Horsehammerr
            Horsehammerr commented
            Editing a comment
            Same kit saved me 80 miles from home . Hooked 'er up and got to a dealer . New cable , and off we go .

https://www.venhillusa.com/venhill-u...cable-kit.html

Comment

That repair kit looks bigger and heavier than the stock cable. I just carry a new stock cable in one of my saddlebags.

Comment

If I remember right it's a universal cable with clips for whichever cable needs emergency repair..........
              I got it cause a previous post a few years back mentioned it to get you going but fortunately for the soldier I hadn't used it ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	116020

Comment

• roadiemort
                roadiemort commented
                Editing a comment
                It does come in either 6 or 7mm conduit.

Check clutch adjustments. One at the lever and one lower on the cable. Is the cable lubricated?
              Roadstars usually have a clutch slipping problem. Don't know the mileage though.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by MikeyC, 12-05-2020, 08:08 PM
              92 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post MikeyC
              by MikeyC

Started by MikeyC, 3 days ago
              2 responses
              0 likes