Looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice

I've got a 2000 roadstar Silverado that I enjoyed for 5 years before it was stolen and recovered but would take more to put back on the road than I want to put into it but it'll be great for parts. I'm looking at buying an 01 road* that supposedly only has 9971 Miles on it. The story I got is that an old man owned it, he got too old to ride, it sat for 5 years before the person who has it now got it. Supposedly it has a big bore kit. Apparently while sitting the clutch froze to the flywheel. Ive had this happen on tractors but never a bike. Anyway the current owner decided to free up the clutch by slamming it in gear until it broke free. They said the clutch needs replaced. I'm assuming they probably broke the clutch spring bc what they did isn't going to burn up the clutch. What I'm wondering is what damage mightve been done to the trans etc? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I personally buy mostly stock bikes that have not been bastardized but I'm not a mechanic.

Comment

I generally agree with that perspective, if it wasn't for the price I wouldn't even be considering it.
      Also forgot to mention the bike I'm looking at does have a big air kit and long shots fwiw.

Comment

You didn't mention the price. That would be a factor I would consider in this decision. To what degree did they slam it into gear? Did it break free? If it was running they wouldn't be able to stop it. If they were just spinning the rear wheel while the engine was stopped that wouldn't cause any damage. Why don't you raise the back wheel and shift it into first and manually rock the back wheel back and forth to see if the transmission has any broken dogs or stripped gears. Then try second and the rest of the gears. If it shifts and holds It probably hasn't been damaged.

Comment

First... Lots of people say "has cams... Big bore kit... Head work..." almost None have paperwork/receipts/dyno to prove it. If you went to Patrick Racing and dropped off your bike for the "whole package" it would be north of $9,000. Think the owner might have kept that big ol receipt??? When I bought my most recent Road Star the guy said he used 93 octane because "it had cams".. Once I started it I told him "yep.. It has bone stock Road Star cams in it" lol....

I assume there is no paperwork on "big bore kit"... So two things... One it doesn't have a big bore kit and second the seller is a liar.

Next... You don't know what damage is actually done until you tear it apart. Period. Can you do this yourself or are you willing to spend $75-100 per hour for what might be a 2-5 hour job to FIND Out what's wrong and then go from there?

If it's in perfect cosmetic shape and ran perfect it's worth $3k or so... From the potential mechanical issues.... I wouldn't give more than $1k and that is because I would part it out.

And the most important part of buying something that isn't "quite right".... If it's such an easy/simple/cheap fix why don't the sellers fix it??????????
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

first of all the clutch didn't stick to a flywheel. This is a wet clutch and not a dry disc clutch against a flywheel. This clutch setup is nothing like on a tractor. On this clutch setup all that happened was the clutch plates stuck together and what they did to free them up shouldn't be a big deal. There probably isn't anything wrong with the clutch let alone the transIf the price seem right buy it and change the oil and take it for a ride. You could even put some seafoam in the oil at the recommended dose before the ride and change the oil again after a couple rides. I would have to say that the sellers remarks are and uneducated opinion. I also think the sellers didn't even try to fix it because they know nothing at all about mechanical things. Proof of that is the remark about clutch stuck to the flywheel. As I said there is no such thing on a bike with a wet clutch.

Comment

I agree with davej that the clutch could have been hydro locked and as Lug Nut said, you won't know what is actually wrong until you open it up and examine the component parts. I am still unclear about the current condition. Is the clutch still stuck? Is it free and won't engage? As davej said, the seller doesn't seem to know what is wrong. It may not even be a clutch related problem. But if just the clutch needs to be replaced and the price is right it might be a smart purchase.

Comment

What is the price?
                Inquiring minds want to know....
                With enough beer you can do anything...D.Pate

Comment

$2000 is the price. Cosmetically it's in great shape. The seller said it runs great but isn't rideable bc clutch needs replaced. I asked how the hell the clutch could be burnt up with less than 10k miles. SHE said that the clutch was froze when she got it bc it had been sitting for 5 years so she started it and kicked it into gear 2 or 3 times and it freed them up but now the clutch slips bad. The tractor comment was just based on my only experience with stuck clutches.

Comment

The clutch in my old bike is in great shape and swapping it over wouldn't be any big deal. Im just Still trying to wrap my mind around why it would be slipping so bad but this lady strikes me as being about as intelligent as a hammer so who the hell knows.

Comment

Chooch, my understanding is that it is free but won't engage.

Comment

Clutch plates on any bike that sits can stick together. When that happens at the very most, you would need to remove the clutch disc from the clutch basket and separate them apart and reinstall them. If I (and I am a retired mechanic) ever run across this situation I would change the oil as I said above then start the bike in "N" (on my jack stands) and , slap it in gear to try to unstick them. I would do that before I ever put a wrench to the bike. I would probably do it before I even changed the oil.

I see you wrote the the clutch is free but slipping. first simply check the clutch adjustment and correct as needed. It is also not unusual for the OEM diaphragm clutch springs on these bike to be junk even on a low mileage bike. a simple Barrnett spring conversion would be the remedy for that. I would also make a lower offer on the bike. get an estimate from a dealership to substantiate the lower offer even though you wouldn't be bringing it to the dealer for the repair.

Comment

Seems a little steep for something you aren't sure is wrong and won't know until you open it up. IF its just a clutch issue and good possibility that it is....a new Barnett spring conversion kit with their clutch plates and a gasket is going for about $350. 10k for miles is just a drop in the bucket for mileage on these bikes and I also doubt the big bore kit is done maybe she meant it has the Big Air kit instead. My 2001 is starting to have clutch slip but im just over 40k and ill be doing the spring conversion at the very least...Honestly I wouldn't shy away from it but unfortunately it is a gamble until its opened up. Negotiate Negotiate Negotiate

Comment

As far as the big bore kit, if it still has a stock carb on it, it is very unlikely that a big bore kit has been installed. Then on the other hand if a big bore kit has been installed and it still has the OEM clutch spring in it the previous owner may have smoked the clutch from the extra power of a Big Bore kit. Also if you buy it and take it apart you will want to replace the oil pump drive gear at that time. That year had a faulty oil pump drive gear in it. Another indication of a big bore would possibly be collapsible push rod tubes instead of the OEM 1 pc solid tubes. If it has them then it probably has the big bore and an upgraded cam. All that work may have been done during the trans recall.

Comment

Comment

I don't know why they'd re-title it for something like a big bore kit. Do the registration fees vary by the size of the engine? Even so, salvage isn't a term that I'd be comfortable with. Something smells fishy here......

Comment

• davej
                                  davej commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You don't re-title for a big bore.lol the DMV don't care or recognize any modification tho the motor. They could care less.

$500 for a salvage title 20 year old metric bike that doesn't run right. If you were anyone else pays more than that they're foolish. That thing has zero resale with a salvage title. It's just a parts bike at this point unless you want to fix it and ride it and realize you can never sell it.
                                LET'S RIDE

Comment

• Ahodge75
                                  Ahodge75 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  My bike is a salvaged title bike. But it was considered salvaged because the previous owner rode into a field and laid it down. And dented the tank and scratched up the old saddle bags. Salvaged doesn’t necessarily mean run away.

I had several suggestions but a salvage title changes them all. If you can combine the good parts of the two bikes you mentioned, and agree on a price way south of $2000, and are willing and able to do most of the work yourself, it might be worth considering. Just curious, have you actually seen this bike and heard it run?

Comment

With everything wrong and fishy about this bike, I wouldn’t pay anymore than what a “parts” bike would bring

Comment

I paid $2000ca for this 04 it is a running bike, stay away from others POS.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                    Started by roadiemort, 2 days ago
                                    4 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post roadiemort  
                                    Started by dennishiggins, 2 days ago
                                    3 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Flashback  
                                    Started by Lug Nut, 5 days ago
                                    2 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Sharpman66  
                                    Started by mariner3302, 1 day ago
                                    2 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post brianmac  
                                    Started by ItBeMe, 4 days ago
                                    9 responses
                                    3 likes
                                    Last Post brianmac  
                                    Started by Phix, 3 days ago
                                    6 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Sharpman66  
                                    Started by Lug Nut, 3 days ago
                                    3 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Sharpman66  
                                    Started by Jokke75, 5 days ago
                                    16 responses
                                    1 like
                                    Last Post Sharpman66  
                                    Started by Lucky, 6 days ago
                                    13 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Sharpman66  
                                    Started by lowriderbob, 2 days ago
                                    17 responses
                                    2 likes
                                    Last Post Sharpman66  
                                    Started by Darkkill57, 2 days ago
                                    15 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post lowriderbob  
                                    Started by lowriderbob, 1 day ago
                                    5 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Lug Nut
                                    by Lug Nut

Started by roadiemort, 08-22-2020, 03:09 AM
                                    215 responses
                                    1 like
                                    Last Post roadiemort  
                                    Started by DEEPHATE, 5 days ago
                                    5 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post MikeyC
                                    by MikeyC

Started by Lug Nut, 1 week ago
                                    18 responses
                                    1 like
                                    Last Post Lug Nut
                                    by Lug Nut

Started by roadiemort, 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM
                                    51 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post roadiemort  
                                    Started by Shores, 2 weeks ago
                                    9 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post roadiemort  
                                    Started by ItBeMe, 3 days ago
                                    4 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Doc_V
                                    by Doc_V

Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
                                    1,023 responses
                                    2 likes
                                    Last Post DEEPHATE  
                                    Started by D-Fresh, 3 days ago
                                    4 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Shores
                                    by Shores

Working...
                                    X