Broken Tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Tire?

My rear tire was worn out, so I thought I would try to replace it myself. A bit of a struggle to get things removed (you may have seen my post on the stupid axle... still waiting on the new axle to be delivered).

So after breaking the axle trying to get it off, I got the wheel off, and after some struggles, got the rear tire off the wheel. Like an idiot, I forgot at first to use windex to lubricate the tire. That actually makes a big difference.

Putting the new tire on, again a struggle... but got it done. I had to take a break several times while putting the tire on, kept failing, and again forgot at first to lubricate with some sudsy stuff. I kept checking to make sure the yellow dot was aligned with the valve stem, and checking to make sure I had tire rotation in right direction. After many failures, I put the tire aside for the day to come back to it next day.

Sure enough, next day, the tire basically went on the way it seemed it should... I did everything right, remembered to lubricate from the start, seemed to get the tire irons in there just right, the tire seemed to just pop right on. Inflated, sealed the bead, threw it on the balancer, balanced like a charm. Tested balance several times, left it over night on balancer, everything looking good.

Then the next day, I came out and it occurred to me... the yellow dot was on the wrong damn side of the tire, and checking the rotation arrows, sure enough the were going the wrong damn direction.

So I pulled the new tire off... but while using the tire irons I seemed to have ground up the bead a bit... see the attached picture.

Is this too much damage? Should I chuck this tire and start over? Thoughts?

Thanks,

RTT

That tire is now junk. If you were to use it you would probably tear the tube from the way it looks. Do not put that tire on a motorcycle. Better bite the bullet get a new tire have a shop install it with the tube and then use right on balancer sealer.
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

If none of the tire threads are cut it will be fine, can't make a diagnosis from that picture.

Comment

From the picture it looks like both sides of the bead have compromised threads shared I certainly wouldn't risk putting a thousand pounds on a tire like that going 80 miles an hour
        LET'S RIDE

Comment

• roadiemort
          roadiemort commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, like I said, looks like counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, or is that close as lol.

I had to look at it on my computer with a larger screen. Without running my fingers across it and feeling it (it may look worse in a picture than in real life and touch) I'd be hesitant about it. Not sure if those chords would wear on a tube causing an eventual leak. There's enough unknowns when riding a bike (what's around the bend...or jump out of the ditch) that I wouldn't want to add any I didn't have to. If this were a car I'd slap it on, as a flat is an annoyance mostly. On a bike it can be fatal.

Comment

Tire installation is expensive, but I've never even considered doing it myself. Reading that horror story reinforces that decision.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
            DEEPHATE commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel the same way. I have COPD so if there is the slightest struggle I suffer. Also if there is any possibility to screw something up I would manage to do it. I really don't mind those people making a living...

Guess I'm lucky good friend of mine does motorcycle tire work on the side. Hasn't Home garage with balancer tire machine at cetera I just had my 18 in shinkos 777HD tires purchased and mounted on my wheels off the bike for $211 total by him.
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

IMO that tire is fine. Next thing is the dot being lined up with the valve stem is not really that important, you really wasted your time pulling it back apart to line it up.

Comment

• Brad_G
              Brad_G commented
              Editing a comment
              Well he also mentioned that the rotation of the tire was backwards as well.

• RTT
              RTT commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, it wasn't so much the location of the yellow dot as what side of the bike it was on. :-) I thought about just riding the bike backwards, which would be an interesting new skill to obtain, but thought that might get tiring after a while!

RTT

Thanks all,

I broke down and ordered a new tire last night shortly after posting and seeing the first couple responses.

Looking at the tire more closely today, the steel bead itself doesn't seem to be exposed, what look like steel threads seem to be just some of the fabric embedded in the rubber... but still there are some gouges around the bead now from the tire iron that I am just not comfortable with.

I was as much concerned with having to break the bead and getting the tire off as anything else, concerned about damaging the sidewall. That seems to be a big and scary unknown.

I watched at least a dozen youtube videos on how to change a motorcycle tire before deciding to attempt this... seemed pretty straightforward... get the tire irons in there, pry it over the rim, move over a little, pry, pretty soon it pops off, no problem, and just the opposite for installing.

Kinda discouraging, especially because I am now watching a whole slew of Youtube videos on how to install your own patio. At the rate I am going, I'll probably install all the pavers upside down.

RTT

Comment

Here on the east coast of Canada at my local dealer, if bring them the wheel off the bike they install and balance for $25. I wont even consider of doing a tire install for that price!

Comment

• SuperG
                SuperG commented
                Editing a comment
                Cycle Gear dealers do that - they'll install the tire on the wheel off-bike and balance for $25... they're basically the brick and mortar version of Revzilla .com

• RTT
                RTT commented
                Editing a comment
                All the local shops here seem to be going out of business. The one I went to for years closed earlier this year, a couple others closed a few years back. Another few shops quoted something like $40 or $50 for install if I bought from them, so I figured would charge at least that much. Maybe not.

But I have this stubborn streak where I want to try everything myself at least once, but once it gets to deeper mechanical stuff on the engine, I will probably take a pass.

RTT

• Brad_G
                Brad_G commented
                Editing a comment
                I've mounted, dismounted, and repaired a ton of tires over the years (did one for my tractor on Sunday) and am pretty decent with some tire spoons. But if you're not sure what you're doing it can be a challenge. I was in a time crunch when I needed tires on my bike so I rode it to the shop and handed them the tires. I'll only do that once as they were very proud of their services. If you can at least take the wheel off most shops will do it for a pretty reasonable cost (I've heard a lot of $20-30 per tire stories).

google some of the videos using zip ties, I have never tried the procedure but it sure looks like an easier way....
              not all those who wander are lost......

Comment

I've been curious about that method. I have a Harbor Freight Tools store within a mile of my house that has the big zip-ties mentioned in the video that I have seen. The tires in the video are for a street bike (I.E. Ricky-racer). I don't know if the sidewalls of the tires used on our bikes are as stiff, stiffer, or what? Has anyone tried this method?

Comment

• Brad_G
                  Brad_G commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure I've seen the "zip tie method". Is that to keep the beads together while trying to mount or remove the tire?

• davej
                  davej commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The stiffness of the tire depends on the brand and model of tire.

• Flashback
                  Flashback commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A sawsall and pair of side cutters do a fine job of getting the old one off. I have tried that...

Originally posted by Brad_G View Post
                Not sure I've seen the "zip tie method". Is that to keep the beads together while trying to mount or remove the tire?
                Yes, but easier said than done on a new stiff wall tire vs a sport bike tire used over and over for demonstration on YouTube.

Comment

For the $20-30 my buddy charges me for both and the best price on tires anywhere I don't think I will ever mount a motorcycle tire myself
                  LET'S RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post

Yes, but easier said than done on a new stiff wall tire vs a sport bike tire used over and over for demonstration on YouTube.
                    Yup, I was surprised at how stiff the new tire was... they are much more solid than they appear, that's for sure!

Comment

I've mounted my own motorcycle tires for the last 30 years (Virago, V-Star and now the Roadie). Never had a problem. Like you're saying RTT, the tire need some lubricant for the ease of the process. I've even mounted a car tire (Austone) on the back of my R*

Comment

Originally posted by Makriluc View Post
                        I've mounted my own motorcycle tires for the last 30 years (Virago, V-Star and now the Roadie). Never had a problem. Like you're saying RTT, the tire need some lubricant for the ease of the process. I've even mounted a car tire (Austone) on the back of my R*
                        I got the new tire, considered giving it a another try, but thought I would take it in rather than risking another new tire. Also, plain ran out of time to be mucking around with it... besides work, I am installing a new patio (yes, another DIY project), and needed to be done with the tire. Once I figured it out (i.e., use lube), it seemed to work just fine, just put the stupid tire on backwards. So, once burnt, twice shy.

After working on the patio stuff all day today (demolition of old concrete patio and laying out) I just got back to the garage to start reassembling the bike. Hopefully I don't put the wheel on backwards, or the axle upside down or anything like that.

RTT

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for pitching in with suggestions and ideas. I took the tire and wheel to a local shop to have it mounted... cost $50, but they did it in half a day so got it back quickly. Reinstalled with the shiny new axle and some fresh grease.

I almost threw the wheel right on the bike assuming the wheel would be balanced at the shop, but prudence was the better part of valor, and I double checked before mounting. Sure enough it was not close to balanced.

While I was in there I replaced the rear brake pads and bled the brakes. I don't think I messed that up, so a pleasant change from the usual. At least the bike seemed to come to a stop sooner or later after pressing the brake pedal.

Been out riding around the last couple days to test everything out and break in the new tire. Wheel didn't fall off, no wobble, wheel seems balanced, even as fast as 90 (not that I was going that fast).

So now I can focus on messing up my new patio. Rented a dingo, gonna dig up my back yard tomorrow. Any guesses on how I'm gonna make a hash out of that job? :-)

Thanks again to everyone for the support and help!

RTT

Comment

• Shores
                            Shores commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Remove the lead weights and install Ride On balancing sealant per instructions on their website. Check it out. Balances smooth as glass, even as the tire wears and will automatically plug a 1/4” hole in a tubeless tire and a 1/8” hole in a tube.

Ride on is good stuff... Smooth as silk at triple digit speeds and will seal minor punctures... Def worth the $
                          LET'S RIDE

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Cmw2212, 04-26-2018, 07:38 PM
                          25 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                          Started by Blackbeard, 2 hours ago
                          1 response
                          0 likes