1700 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1700 cylinders

Can anyone say if a warrior cylinder will fit 2006 silverado the part numbers show differently, im pretty sure the noise in mine is a piston slap and i can get two warrior jugs with pistons for 199.00. i i can't see why they wouldn't work

Did you check the head gasket base gasket part number? If that is the same they should work. I think about the only difference is a little in the cam and the Warrior heads are different.

I just checked Patrick Racing web page and 1700's all take the same head gasket so your heads should fit the warrior jug.

Comment

The base and the head gaskets same numbers on both bikes are they painted different? fins cut different? The pistons are exactly the same too i just don't want find out i blew two hundred bucks because i didn't check everything, someone here must have done it or knows for sure

Comment

I just found the difference, the top fin has notches that are cut differently, like for clearance for something on the head maybe,. I need to look at the notches on mine to see why they are there

Comment

If it is just a spot on the top fin that can easily be trimmed off to fit with no harm.

Comment

call Nigil at Patrick Racing and ask . he would know and he is a good guy that will talk straight to you.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
              call Nigil at Patrick Racing and ask . he would know and he is a good guy that will talk straight to you.
              Ill do that, i think davej is correct if have to i can trim the top fin. Everything else looks good to go

Comment

If it is just a spot on the top fin that can easily be trimmed off to fit with no harm.
                You're probably right there are three different numbers. One is the unpainted one the other is the black one and the last is the warrior one. The cutout's are so close i had look real hard and long to pickup on it

Comment

No answer, it looks to me that a warrior cylinder will fit a Silverado but the other way around the top fin will need triming for the throttle body.

Comment

Paul, how do you know it's piston slap? Have your torn down the motor yet to confirm? If not you might want to check your rocker arm end play before investing in new cylinders.

Comment

Doc is right, check the rocker shaft If that isn't the problem I would pull the heads and take a look before buying cylinders and pistons. nothing to lose, it all has to come apart to do the cylinders anyway.

Comment

Doc is right,
                        I would pull the heads and take a look before buying cylinders and pistons.
                        It only bangs when on the throttle and pulling it could be a wrist pin but ether way the piston is bad, it might have overheated and collapsed the skirt on piston, as the engine warms it gets a lot quiter but it never goes away, turn the throttle and smack smack cruise no noise let off no noise i would think a rocker would make a fairly consistent noise not just under a load. Its almost like it knocking from low octane fuel same sound. Im running a heavy dose of seafoam because i thought carbon on the piston might have brought the compression up and causing spark knock, if the seafoam works great,but im doubting it

Comment

If that is the problem it would be a good time to install HC pistons. they are only a couple bucks more from Patrick racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
                            Paul, how do you know it's piston slap? Have your torn down the motor yet to confirm? If not you might want to check your rocker arm end play before investing in new cylinders.

How did those rockers get like that sliding sideways i would expect radial wear but side to side the only to cure that is shims over the inner stationary shaft, am i seeing it right the rocker is banging into the saddles on the plate ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Doc_V;n96634]Paul, how do you know it's piston slap? Have your torn down the motor yet to confirm? If not you might want to check your rocker arm end play before investing in new cylinders.

https://youtu.be/o4vtKmrJtmI" data-vcode="o4vtKmrJtmI" data-vprovider="youtube_share" >
                              [/QUOTE]

I can't see how the rockers slide hard enough to bang when there isn't any lateral pressure on them with the engine running. The might move sideways a bit at higher rpm from flex in a pushrod but really there's no reason for them to bang sideways, now if the inner shaft wore enough that would make some noise for sure.
                              i haven't taken anything apart yet, i want see if de carbonizing the pistons with seafoam will help, if it does im looking in the right place,the way this bike is designed i could change the barrels and pistons out in a day. Two at the most

Comment

Originally posted by Pauli466 View Post

It only bangs when on the throttle and pulling... turn the throttle and smack smack cruise no noise let off no noise...
                                That's exactly what mine does/did. For what ever reason, the aluminum rocker cradles wear out over time on some bikes. The Yamaha parts catalog refers to it as "Head, Cylinder 3"; Part # 5VN-11131-00-00 for the rear cylinder and "Head, Cylinder 4" for the front. Part # 5VN-11141-00-00. I found a brand new rear cradle on eBay for $35, because it had been dropped on it's edge and had a bulge in one of the mating surfaces; 5 mins and $10 later at my local machine shop and it was a good as new. After installing it there was *zero* play and the motor is considerably quieter. The front cylinder has the same problem and I plan to replace too.

When checking for play make sure you remove *all* the tension from the push rods before testing. [TDC might not be enough.]

Comment

I would be willing to bet there's nothing wrong with your bike. These motors make a lot of mechanical noise, some more than others. Except for the electronic bullshit, this is an archaic design, the technology is from a day when folks didn't worry about a few random noises here and there as long as the damn thing kept running for awhile. There's a Factory Bulletin somewhere on this site that addresses this very issue. Gaskets aren't cheap anymore , so even doing exploratory surgery can be pricey. If you can, before you rip into it, ride another one and see what you think then.

Comment

If that is the problem it would be a good time to install HC pistons. they are only a couple bucks more from Patrick racing.
                                    I would never do that, because at those pressures super unleaded is a requirement, mine pulls plenty hard, can't see a need for it

Comment

• davej
                                      davej commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      More fun with them. Well worth the extra$1 per fill up.

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post

That's exactly what mine does/did. For what ever reason, the aluminum rocker cradles wear out over time on some bikes. The Yamaha parts catalog refers to it as "Head, Cylinder 3"; Part # 5VN-11131-00-00 for the rear cylinder and "Head, Cylinder 4" for the front. Part # 5VN-11141-00-00. I found a brand new rear cradle on eBay for $35, because it had been dropped on it's edge and had a bulge in one of the mating surfaces; 5 mins and $10 later at my local machine shop and it was a good as new. After installing it there was *zero* play and the motor is considerably quieter. The front cylinder has the same problem and I plan to replace too.

When checking for play make sure you remove *all* the tension from the push rods before testing. [TDC might not be enough.]
                                    Im not following you on this, as far as i can tell the rocker arm doesn't ride on an aluminum saddle the inner shaft does and is locked in place by a bolt going through a notch cut into it, if you mean the side of the saddle wore out, then stainless steel shims between the rocker and saddle would be the way to go, the stainless shims would be a lot less abrasive than the cast iron of the rocker. I got a stethoscope coming i might be able to nail down the location better with it. There was really no play after changing it, man thats a lot of wear on the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Pobasturd View Post
                                      I would be willing to bet there's nothing wrong with your bike. These motors make a lot of mechanical noise, some more than others. Except for the electronic bullshit, this is an archaic design, the technology is from a day when folks didn't worry about a few random noises here and there as long as the damn thing kept running for awhile. There's a Factory Bulletin somewhere on this site that addresses this very issue. Gaskets aren't cheap anymore , so even doing exploratory surgery can be pricey. If you can, before you rip into it, ride another one and see what you think then.
                                      This noise isn't normal for any engine, i read the yamaha bulletin on the so called normal noises and they are talking about lugging the motor down to very low rpms which makes sense because of jackshaft to the alternator, engines with good tolerances don't make knocking sounds, it will probably run for ever even with the knock but im doing something to fix it because its too annoying i can hear over the punched out exhaust and thats too loud for me.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                      Started by Smokescreens, 2 weeks ago
                                      49 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post tapeit59  
                                      Started by twowheeltherapy, 5 days ago
                                      30 responses
                                      4 likes
                                      Last Post twowheeltherapy  
                                      Started by RoadieRob, 20 hours ago
                                      1 response
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Cubo55
                                      by Cubo55

Started by curtixman, 1 day ago
                                      4 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post MikeyC
                                      by MikeyC

Started by cap-tech, 6 days ago
                                      7 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Lug Nut
                                      by Lug Nut

Started by Darkkill57, 1 day ago
                                      8 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post ItBeMe
                                      by ItBeMe

Started by Bear1433, 22 hours ago
                                      2 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Bear1433  
                                      Started by Cubo55, 2 days ago
                                      12 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Shores
                                      by Shores

Started by roadiemort, 1 day ago
                                      3 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Brad_G
                                      by Brad_G

Started by Jaybo, 04-20-2020, 11:36 PM
                                      46 responses
                                      1 like
                                      Last Post curtixman  
                                      Started by Lifeguard, 1 day ago
                                      1 response
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Blackcloud12  
                                      Started by NCB, 3 days ago
                                      10 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Pauli466  
                                      Started by YZ18, 1 day ago
                                      1 response
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post GuernseyLad  
                                      Started by coolalexrex, 1 day ago
                                      2 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post davej
                                      by davej

Started by J89k, 2 weeks ago
                                      7 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post J89k
                                      by J89k

Started by Angel220, 5 days ago
                                      4 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post brianmac  
                                      Started by AR. Hillbilly, 02-01-2020, 10:31 AM
                                      18 responses
                                      1 like
                                      Last Post Horsehammerr  
                                      Started by Jaybo, 5 days ago
                                      10 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Jaybo
                                      by Jaybo

Started by Jaybo, 2 days ago
                                      1 response
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Jaybo