Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play in the front forks at the triple tree ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play in the front forks at the triple tree ?

I am getting quite a bit of play in the front forks when pulled front and pushed back while it's on the lift . I'm assuming it's the bearings in the fork steam...? Anyway to know for sure ? I just recently greased them. The only thi g it does is it feels a bit loose in the corners and over rough roads . 2007 R*1700 TIA
    Attached Files

Have you done the flop test? I believe there are some You Tube videos on it.

Comment

If you fail the flop test it could be worn bearing, but could just need to be tightened. If you have play up and down while on the jack then your bearing needs to be replaced! Mine fails the flop test, but I also have a fairing with speakers which adds weight. It does not have any movement up and down. The other day I noticed it was trying to get a little squirrelly in the turns. Came home and tightened the the bearing nut and all is good.

Comment

nice machine btw!!
        when you regreased did you take a look at the bearing cups did they show signs of wear (pitting, brunelling)? were the bearings really dry, did they feel rough and lumpy ? if all looked and felt ok ok top and bottom then try adjusting up- i'm guessing you have the manual?

Comment

• Jed Milhorne
          Jed Milhorne commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you ! When I bought the bike it had been outside for 2 years . The bearings looked terrible. I'm about 500 miles in on the build. I'll just replace the old ones. Any suggestions on new ones ? Thanks for the info.

• BubbaKahuna
          BubbaKahuna commented
          Editing a comment
          All Balls are the best Ive found ... which ironically, are roller bearings, not balls. LOL

All Balls tapered roller bearings for 1700 Roadstar : Mfg Part# 22-1004
          Last edited by BubbaKahuna; 01-23-2020, 11:59 AM. Reason: Added part #

Originally posted by Jed Milhorne View Post
        I am getting quite a bit of play in the front forks when pulled front and pushed back while it's on the lift . I'm assuming it's the bearings in the fork steam...? Anyway to know for sure ? I just recently greased them. The only thi g it does is it feels a bit loose in the corners and over rough roads . 2007 R*1700 TIA
        I really like the gun metal grey on you bike!

Comment

• Jed Milhorne
          Jed Milhorne commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks ! It came out better than I imagined. And it's darker in person.

• fastjohnny
          fastjohnny commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful build in my opinion. The color is very close to what was called "Haze Grey" when I was a sailor 1971 - 1977

Remember the manual is wrong on tightenin the bearings.....the procedure is to tighten to 35 lbs then back the nut off and retighten to something like 13-15 lbs. Manual says something stupid like 2-3 lbs.
        "I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't chew Big Red.....then Fuck You"

Comment

• fastjohnny
          fastjohnny commented
          Editing a comment
          When I replaced my head bearings I used the old mechanic's method for tightening wheel bearings on a car.....I have no idea what the actual torque is on them but they've been fine for nearly 8 years now.....haven't had to touch them and they still pass the flop test.

This is somewhat related, but if ibtake both hands off the handlebars while in motion, my forks and wheel start to death wobble. When I grab the bars again it stops, and you cant feel it trying to wobble when your riding, just feels like the front end wants to twist in corners, similar to a KLR without a fork brace. Is that an indicator of worn berrings?

Comment

sounds like either worn bearings or loose nut, need to do the flop test and lift it up and see if any up down movement.

2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

When i got my bike if felt a little "loose/squirrely" at highway speeds (approx 27k miles). I did the flop test and it failed miserably. I ended up tightening the preload on the stearing bearings like 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn, crazy! That took care of the high speed issue. The bearings probably need replaced but i want to wait until i do the forks all at the same time.
            2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

I guess my question is did it have the looseness before you greased them? If not then maybe they just need tightening...
              not all those who wander are lost......

Comment

Originally posted by Jlb76 View Post
                Have you done the flop test? I believe there are some You Tube videos on it.
                This is the bottom outer race from my 2006 I've never seen one worse, and it had grease and wasn't overly loose

Comment

• Fat pete
                  Fat pete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that looks like the one that i just replaced on my bike..had rust and crap falling out of it even tho my bike looks like new with very few miles on her..mine is a 05 1600

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
                Remember the manual is wrong on tightenin the bearings.....the procedure is to tighten to 35 lbs then back the nut off and retighten to something like 13-15 lbs. Manual says something stupid like 2-3 lbs.
                The book shows using a spanner wrench with a torque wrench at right angle to it which would lower the actual torque applied, when you say 13 to 15 lbs is that using the spanner as per the book or torquing straight on, most time the spanner wrench isn't available but 12 point will go

Comment

From what i remember reading if you have some kind of adapter at a 90' angle to the torque wrench as long as its under approx 2" in length it doesn't affect the torque setting. Its when the adapter is in line with the torque wrench it alters the setting.

Comment

Even if you do torque down the stearing head nut to the specified settings isn't the flop test the final say in how it should be adjusted? The initial torque is just that, a base line to then be adjusted by the flop test, correct? And, after the bearings settle in they will have to be tightened down again won't they?

Comment

• fastjohnny
                      fastjohnny commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree totally with what you're saying D-Fresh. In many cases "torque" requirements vary up to 15%. For example - if a bolt calls for 40 ft-lbs it's usually a "dry torque". If you decide some Loctite would be nice, or oil, or any lubricant that 40ft-lbs is reduced by 15% down to 34 ft-lbs due to the fact that it's lubricated and will be easier to tighten - or some other kind of physics, engineering, math, or whatever.....quite possibly rocket surgery or brain science.
                      All jokes aside ask any Mechanical Engineer and they will tell you the same thing.

• D-Fresh
                      D-Fresh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree with the fact that dry vs lubricated torque values are different. I actually had this "discussion" on another forum. A senior member was trying to tell me that lubricated torque values go up, not down. I had to find some internet references that proved otherwise and he finally recanted. If you lessen the friction on the fastener it will turn easier thus stretching the fastener to the proper point at a lesser torque value, clear as mud right? LOL

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by DEEPHATE, 1 day ago
                  29 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Jaybo
                  by Jaybo

Started by Swampy, 22 hours ago
                  9 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post boomerA