Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing intake manifold questions

--

I finally got my new replacement intake manifold for my 2000 R*, got the flanges smoothed out and ready to put on, air cleaner off, fuel line disconnected.

I'm having trouble getting my enricher cable loose. I doesn't want to slip out of the bracket holding it below the fuel pump area. Can I disconnect the fuel pump bracket and get enough slack? Or do I need to force it off the bracket? The threaded area is larger than the open slot on the bracket.

Also, do I need to have the fuel pump bracket off to get to the left side bolts holding on the old manifold?

Finally, I have read here that I should just use Vaseline as a sealant between the manifold and cylinder.

Thanks.

--

Reach around the back of the enricher knob, behind the metal bracket, and turn the rubber boot. That will loosen the knob and allow you to remove it. And yes, you will need to remove the fuel pump mount, same metal bracket, to get to the manifold bolts. I don't know about the Vaseline though. Make sure you use new rubber gaskets on the new manifold.

Comment

--

Got everything back together and seems to work okay in driveway without being tested yet on the road. Thanks for the tips received and those I've researched on line and other posts.

Two more questions: First, is the right angle vent tube on the top by the black plastic vacuum area just supposed to end right there? Should anything be attached to it?

Next: My old (probably original) manifold had a brass crown shaped ring around the inside of the opening for the carb. The ring had little spurs on it shaped as if it would make the incoming fuel/air mix twist around for some kind of vortex effect, or something. Maybe designed to make the flow be more even? Or more efficient? I tried to put it on the new manifold but couldn't get it to fit in all the way. Anybody know more about it?

--

Comment

Google intake vortex generators.

After market paper weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerron View Post
        Google intake vortex generators.

After market paper weight.
        --

I have done that, but all the ones I could find were obstructing air quite a bit. And they all looked different. This one in mine was a ring on the front side of the first shoulder in the intake manifold with just some little angled points poking towards the inside and in the flow of air. They stuck out from where the end of the carb neck meets the beginning of the inside manifold rubber.

Now it's possible that the first owner of the bike put it in, but she never mentioned it to me. I do know that it has stressed a lot of folks here on RSC when I mention that I consistently get over 50 mpg on every tank filling. Once even 60 mpg. All gps corrected. Of course that was with the manifold I just took off.

Now it is possible that all this time there was some other reason for my mileage besides my easy riding, like my jets being way too lean, or some air leak that I didn't know about that helped. Although I get the same mileage with my other 2000 R*, too, and I can't imagine it having the same ring in its manifold unless it was some experiment Yamaha was doing at the time. Both my bikes were made within a couple of weeks of each other. ????

And you have to admit that some folks are all sold on porting the inside corners of the manifold to improve h.p. or something. I thought I might go that route once until I thought, "Why? Isn't 50 mpg enough?"

So, anyway, if the folks on this site who work on bikes all the time have never seen this, then it may have been a one-off that someone stuck in about 100,000 miles ago as an experiment.

--

Comment

• Agpilot
          Agpilot commented
          Editing a comment
          Ronk, I see you live in Grand Junction Co... Yep I get between 50 and at times close to 60 MPG at your altitude. Here in OK at 1200 ft. I get around 42 consistently... The higher the altitude the leaner the CV carb runs. to compensate. It is normal...

Let it go.

I’ve seen dozens of these snake oil contraptions, in different configurations, surface in the back of cycle and automotive rags for decades. I know exactly the one you described. Yamaha didn’t install it. Someone comes out with a claim and sells a million of them until the fad fades. Soon, another design comes out and the naive throw their money at it, too.

They are not factory and they don’t work.

Comment

If you're talking about the elbow on top of the carb, then yes,just the plastics fitting. It's a filter.

As as for the intake vortex thingamabob, I think you're MPG has more to do with your riding style, especially if both your bikes are getting the same. I believe the vortex thing is (supposed to be) for better performance, not as much to improve MPG. Leave it out and see if there's a difference.

Comment

--

I have installed the new manifold without any vortex ring. I can't get out to test the bike due to the weather right now, but will and report back.

Thanks for your comments.

--

Comment

--

Update. I've ridden the bike about 200 easy miles now, and it's pretty good. I got 52 mpg. It starts right up and doesn't have any unusual sound. But---while I have no popping at all when backing off in higher gears, when using a lot of compression in slowing in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, I can get some low sounding popping. Not the loud backfire when the cracks were in the manifold, just some more mellow ones. The kind you used to like to have on your car when you were 16! Is that normal to have?

Don't know what the jet sizes are. Supposedly it was rejetted about 80,000 miles ago for both higher elevations (western Colorado) and for the K&N air filter and straight pipes.

I did up the idle to about 900 (guessing) and it seems to be smooth sometimes and a little stumbly at others. The take off from stop seems normal.

By the way, the mileage is the same without the vortex fins in the intake area.

--

Comment

Originally posted by RonK View Post
                --

Update. I've ridden the bike about 200 easy miles now, and it's pretty good. I got 52 mpg. It starts right up and doesn't have any unusual sound. But---while I have no popping at all when backing off in higher gears, when using a lot of compression in slowing in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, I can get some low sounding popping. Not the loud backfire when the cracks were in the manifold, just some more mellow ones. The kind you used to like to have on your car when you were 16! Is that normal to have?

Don't know what the jet sizes are. Supposedly it was rejetted about 80,000 miles ago for both higher elevations (western Colorado) and for the K&N air filter and straight pipes.

I did up the idle to about 900 (guessing) and it seems to be smooth sometimes and a little stumbly at others. The take off from stop seems normal.

By the way, the mileage is the same without the vortex fins in the intake area.

--
                Has the AIS been removed?
                “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

“By the way, the mileage is the same without the vortex fins in the intake area.”
                  That’s a given.

Comment

--

No ais.

--

Comment

Originally posted by RonK View Post
                      --

I can get some low sounding popping. Not the loud backfire when the cracks were in the manifold, just some more mellow ones. The kind you used to like to have on your car when you were 16! Is that normal to have?
                      --

Very normal. It has two big, 50+ cubic inch cylinders that will gurgle, burble, pop, fart and queef when decelerating, no matter what.

Nature of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerron View Post

Very normal. It has two big, 50+ cubic inch cylinders that will gurgle, burble, pop, fart and queef when decelerating, no matter what.

Nature of the beast.
                        --
                        And all the time I thought those queefs were me. Who knew?

--

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                      3,297 responses
                      3 likes
                      Last Post roadiemort  
                      Started by Mitch82, 14 hours ago
                      7 responses
                      0 likes