Clutch upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch upgrade

2004 roadstar 1700 clutch upgrade other than barnetts converstion kits?

Nothing better than the Barnett SR-2

Comment

EBC makes a spring that is about 15% stronger than stock. Some folks here have had good luck with it. Easier to replace and a lot cheaper too.
      Scott B.

Comment

Same crappy diaphragm design.

Comment

Some double up on the stock diaphragm spring. Another idea I don't use.

Comment

• TimB
            TimB commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks smart ass, I already use the Barnett. Sorry I hurt your little feelings, not really.

• Chromepony
            Chromepony commented
            Editing a comment
            You have to be somebody to hurt somebody else's feelings.
            That's a burden you'll never have to bear...DumbAss.

• TimB
            TimB commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL Ouch

This thread needs to be moved out of the Classifieds.

Comment

The Barnett clutch kit is overpriced & ultimately does the same job as the OE clutch.
            I had my own m/c service & repair shop until '013. I installed several Barnett clutches for customers who insisted on them. If you're running a big inch motor with a large rear tire, the Barnett clutch might be worth the money & aggravation.
            I'm running the EBC spring & OE discs in my '00 R/S hot rod & my '04 R/S long range scooters. Both are performing flawlessly.
            I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

Originally posted by Chromepony View Post
              The Barnett clutch kit is overpriced & ultimately does the same job as the OE clutch.
              I had my own m/c service & repair shop until '013. I installed several Barnett clutches for customers who insisted on them. If you're running a big inch motor with a large rear tire, the Barnett clutch might be worth the money & aggravation.
              I'm running the EBC spring & OE discs in my '00 R/S hot rod & my '04 R/S long range scooters. Both are performing flawlessly.
              CP, tell us more about how you can stack two disc springs. Is there enough room? Still torque the six bolts the same?

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Chromepony
                Chromepony commented
                Editing a comment
                Mort is right. Neil (Erbman) was a good friend of mine & visited my shop often.
                He came by the day before he moved from Georgia to Tampa, Fl. We did an oil & filter change and installed new tires on his scooter. It had 126,0000 miles on it (if I remember correctly). He was running stacked springs & OE discs.
                I really miss seeing him. He always had a good story to tell & was a great source of wisdom & insight.

Erbman was the spring stacker back in the day, It worked for him and he had one of the higher mileage bikes on the forum back then, pretty sure Warden bought his bike.

Comment

Originally posted by texasscott1 View Post
                EBC makes a spring that is about 15% stronger than stock. Some folks here have had good luck with it. Easier to replace and a lot cheaper too.
                Also,Yami used to mfg 2 speedstar performance clutch springs for the R* too,think 1 was approx 15-20% stiffer and other was approx 20-25% stiffer then stock clutch spring.

The problem with the stock oem clutch spring is was it was designed too weak to begin with and yami should have installed at a minimum the 15-20% stiffer clutch spring as oem equipment as soon as they had it in prod/avail for use due to known failure of weaker stock spring.

As soon as the clutch on my friends 05 R* started slipping at approx 48-50k miles & before clutch were damaged from slipping/overheating i rec he install a Yam speedstar 15% stiffer spring which he did & stopped the clutch slipping which that being the only thing he did reusing all stock original clutch plates and metal spacer plates too.

Now some yrs later his bike is just ready to hit 80k miles and the clutch is still working great with no slipping and his bikes ha pipes with K&N air filter and jetted carb so is putting out a bit more hp/trq then stock too and still no clutch slip.

Going this route is much cheaper and easier to do IMHO,but the trick is finding either of the clutch springs i listed below which i obtained when researching & compiled R* clutch spring info.

I don't think Yami lists the pt#'s & info for the speedstar clutch springs anymore..

Happy motoring!

Scott

================================================== ================================================== ==========
                So everyone has the correct clutch spring info i looked up std-stock R* clutch spring and also the stock Warrior clutch spring and they are exactly the same PT# so here goes,a list of correct clutch spring info for the R*.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                * STOCK R* /STOCK WARRIOR CLUTCH SPRING MANUFACTURED BY YAMAHA PT# 1FK-16334-00-00 SPRING
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                * STAGE 3 CLUTCH SPRING WITH 20% MORE HOLDING/CLAMPING STRENGTH FOR STOCK MOTOR WITH PIPES,BAK,PORTED INTAKE,DYNA3000,ETC. Yamaha Competition Clutch Spring The spring rate is 20% stiffer than the stock spring for increased clutch capacity. Reduces clutch slippage and resultant heat build-up under heavy use. Designed to handle increased power output from Stage IV configuration.Manufactured By: Yamaha Item: SPD-5PX09-84-00
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                * STAGE 4 CLUTCH SPRING BETTER SUITED FOR HIGHER PERF SETUPS WITH HI COMPRESSION PISTONS,HI PERF CAMS,PIPES,BAK,PORTED INTAKE,HI PERF HEADS,PIPES,ETC.The spring rate is about 25% stiffer than the stock spring to handle the increased power output from Stage IV configuration.Yamaha item: SPD-4WM09-84-10

Comment

I’ve done Barnett on all my Roadstars except for the one sitting in my shop now (which will also be getting a Barnett as soon as I get the time).

Its easy. It looks just like the clutch assemblies in my sport bikes so it can handle abuse unlike the crappy stock design. It’s not really that expensive.

The EBC spring is a little cheaper and probably is a little stronger. A few guys here have had good luck with them. Cheaping out on certain things isn’t my style though and this is one of those things. My opinion only.

Comment

• Ftwbear
                    Ftwbear commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have Barnnet clutch with heavy duty spring and extra washers. I don't think that it will slip under any load I can put to it. So it's plenty

It's Your Thing , Do What You Want To Do , You Can't Tell Me How To SOCK IT TO

Comment

Does the stock clutch routinely give out/slip around 40-50k miles with normal use?

Comment

• Deerkiller
                      Deerkiller commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Depends on how you ride it seems. My 2000 started slipping at around 20k miles.

• Chromepony
                      Chromepony commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The clutch on my '00 started slipping @ around 25 K. It's been hot-rodded & ridden hard.
                      '04 started slipping @ 60 K.

My 2006 started slipping on the original spring @ only about 18k miles riding it fairly hard (and it's beefed up a little in the power department).
                    I put in the EBC and am now over 40k with zero slippage, still riding a bit ... spirited.

Yamaha discontinued the Speedstar spring at about the same time EBC came out with theirs - probably because the EBC only costs about $30 & the Speedstar was around $100.

We've done all of them at the store: Speedstar, EBC and Barnett.
                    I'd guess we've done maybe as many as a hundred Roadstars, Warriors and 'Liners with all the various replacement clutch springs over the past 17 years.
                    Overall, none of them work better or worse than each other.

Comment

When I got my '05 it was a stock clutch. After it started slipping I installed the EBC spring. And it started slipping at NW Starfest two years ago. Way too early in my opinion. So I installed the Barnett with HD springs. It really grabs now. A very noticeable difference for me. Especially passing at highway speeds and such. And now that I have the extra weight of the trailer I really appreciate the upgrade. It's totally worth it in my opinion.
                      Manuals, Roadwing, other stuff
                      PGR
                      PGT MT

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by D-Fresh, 15 hours ago
                      16 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Smokescreens  
                      Started by Doc_V, 20 hours ago