My imagination or mechanical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My imagination or mechanical?

Why does my 2005 road star 1700 seem looser on left turns? Is it me, the bike or mechanical? To be honest it’s my first cruiser bike so it could be just me. I have years of experience riding but this recent purchase of a used heavy front end bike is a little scary on left turns. Seems like the back end wants to slide out on me at speed limit turns. In fact it did on a couple turns and I was able to correct the bike…or myself. Taking left turns or driving into a right curves feels complete comfortable with no issues. Is it me or is something out of alignment? I’m getting new tires soon hoping it might be a slipped radial belt??? Don’t know but currently I have 888 Metzlers with tread a little thin. Any thoughts??

I had an issue with tight right turns, a long time ago, a right sweeper was fine but a slow tight right hander was scarey. I am right handed, I wonder if you might be left handed.

Comment

• DWD6955
      DWD6955 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m right handed but do you think it’s a matter of learning the bike? I’ve had it a few months now and ride short trips a couple times a week on country windy back roads. Kinda weird that it’s only on left curves or turns. Gotta take ‘em wide and slow or I’ll lose traction on the rear end. Like you said…it’s tight. Have to slow down quite a bit even when riding inside of the curve. Makes you feel like a beginner so to speak. I guess I’ll have to see if new tires makes a difference.

What hemisphere of the earth do you live in? You should know that pig's tails, toilet flush swirls and tornadoes spin in different directions depending on your hemisphere. Same thing with motorcycle riding. You've got a lot to learn!

Comment

Some variables to consider….

fork tube service… has it ever been done?… after all the bike is 17 years old..

Is the rear tire properly aligned with the front?… check the tire wear… maybe your rear tire has excess wear on one side… check bearings, rear sprocket bushings and maybe drive belt tension when you replace the tires…

is your turn technique correct… do you pull the handlebars or push them?

are you a bit more aggressive on acceleration on a left sweeping turn and not as aggressive on a right sweeping turn..?

is your riding history from “crotch rockets”…? These heavy cruisers do handle a bit different and tend to drag foot pedals with aggressive riding techniques… not quite as forgiving as a lighter bike…

Comment

Originally posted by DWD6955 View Post
        Why does my 2005 road star 1700 seem looser on left turns? Is it me, the bike or mechanical? To be honest it’s my first cruiser bike so it could be just me. I have years of experience riding but this recent purchase of a used heavy front end bike is a little scary on left turns. Seems like the back end wants to slide out on me at speed limit turns. In fact it did on a couple turns and I was able to correct the bike…or myself. Taking left turns or driving into a right curves feels complete comfortable with no issues. Is it me or is something out of alignment? I’m getting new tires soon hoping it might be a slipped radial belt??? Don’t know but currently I have 888 Metzlers with tread a little thin. Any thoughts??
        What kind of roads are you riding? I live in rural Iowa and a good percentage are what we call chip and seal. It's an oil base that has small crushed stone spread on top. They will often have ruts or low areas that are part of the normal car wheel tracks. Take that along with many roads are sloped to drain water off to the ditches and it can make some interesting riding. A left bend in the road can have you riding on the downhill slope of the road along with some uneven dips. Just something to think about.

Comment

• DWD6955
          DWD6955 commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s farm rural mostly and yes, it could be oily substance from tractors and diesel operating equipment. As a matter of fact chemical can be a factor. That’s a good point and thanks for reminding me.

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          DWD6955 if it's a road you travel often I'd ride it a few times and see if you can take a different track through the corner. In my case there is one corner that what you describe seems more noticeable. Kind of freaked me out a bit at the time. But I think it's more the road surface/angle than the bike itself.

• DWD6955
          DWD6955 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll definitely check that out. Makes good sense!

How do you block morons on this Forum that have nothing to do but criticize? When are YOU going to learn? This is a forum, ppl ask question to learn SHORES! If you don’t like a topic or somebodies question then move on. But of course you are the perfect moron that knows everything. I think the next comment blew your theory away. I get it…You don’t know or have a clue about how to answer the tough questions. Criticism makes you feel smarter. But somebody like you!! Anyway I can appreciate a professional response which I now have more knowledge on mechanics and riding bigger bikes and don’t need to educate you on what hemisphere we live in. I guess every forum has the same critics.

Comment

Check your rear wheel alignment, that would be my guess.
          Shores was just being funny, he is very knowledgeable about the bikes. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledge, they will get you fixed up.
          It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

• Brad_G
            Brad_G commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks MikeyC for bringing this up. DWD6955 I think Shores was just funnin. You have to remember in text form we can't always see facial expressions and tone in voice to know how exactly to take a reply. I think this was all mean in good fun and not intended to derail your quest for an answer.

• DWD6955
            DWD6955 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s all I’m looking for…and I’ve been around long enough to understand that it very well may be a mechanical issue. Only expertise from members on this forum can help me there. What I have gathered so far is that I need to confirm road conditions aren’t the issue and have the alignment checked , fork tube service, belt tension checked and bushings when I replace the tires. All good stuff to know that can cause my issue. Not what planet I live on or atmosphere we’re in. When your taking turns at 35 mph and your back end starts to slide out from under you, I don’t find that a laughing matter. Just very poor timing! If you have a look, there are not but a handful of members online on this forum on a consistent basis. Is there a reason for that or maybe they’re being run off because somebody has the urge to poke fun at them? Just sayin! I’m 62 and been around. It’s bothersome to ask questions on a motorcycle forum and get social media answers. If I wanted that kinda of humor I’d go back to twitter and fb but I gave that up when I grew up. I’ve vented enough. Has good suggestions and take ‘em serious. Thanks for the replies!

• DWD6955
            DWD6955 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m over it…I have no grudges against you Shores. I don’t know you personally and you have given good advice on other subjects. Texts can be misleading! I actually thought you had a problem with me. My apologies, I’m just thin skinned sometimes at my older age I guess, you guys obviously know Shores on a more personal basis. I feel like I’m talking around him so don’t take this personally Shores. I’m not trying to patronize you. I’ll have to overlook these comments in the future and focus on the subject. No hard feeling, all good!

On left turns, if you lean real far, the frame will drag the ground, which takes weight off the rear wheel, which can cause what you are describing. If you wear a full face helmet you may not be able to hear your frame touch down, but you should damn sure be able to feel it. Check the frame on the left side a couple inches in front the swing arm for signs of dragging. If you find some, then you just gotta slow down and decrease your lean angle. You're not Valentino Rossi anymore, this is a different kind of Yamaha. There is a learning curve.

Shores was just messing with you man, it's obvious. I'm guilty of bringing a little levity to the board from time to time myself. Shores is a good guy who's been on here forever and has helped many, many people. So, give him a break, please. You seem like a good guy too, so let's just let it go. Or, as the Klingons say, "We shall never speak of this day again".

Comment

• DWD6955
            DWD6955 commented
            Editing a comment
            I checked the frame and no obvious scrape of drag marks on left side but I noticed mirror on right side was dinged up as if maybe previous driver dropped it. Nothing else was damaged.,

First thing that came to my mind was tire pressure. Have you checked it? I started noticing my bike wasn't quite feeling right through higher speed turns, and decided it was time to check the pressure on nearly-new tires. I was running 15 lbs. when it should have been 40. Don't recall ever checking them after they were mounted.

Also, my first (old) set that was on the bike when I bought it had only 8 lbs. in the rear tire! The rear tire had a flat-spotted center section, so when I rolled over to a corner it felt so weird compared to the sport bike that I came off of that I simply didn't trust it. It was flat in the center and then a steep sharp angle on the corners, and there shouldn't have been any corners at all, LOL. Totally unstable compared to what I'd been used to.

Got the new tires on and suddenly I could ride again, problem solved. I finally had a bike under me. It was night and day.

Check the pressure and report back! Is the curvature of the rear tire a smooth steady curve, or flat in the center with 'corners', or even more worn on the left side than the right?

Comment

• DWD6955
            DWD6955 commented
            Editing a comment
            I check pressures on a regular basis, will check again and get back with tire wear.

• MikeyC
            MikeyC commented
            Editing a comment
            Good one Midnight. Been there on the low tire pressure thing but it usually become pretty obvious pretty quick

DWD6955 you’re saying at 35mph your rear feels like it’s sliding out from under you ? Did it ? you mentioned the tread is thin..? How thin ? 40psi for air pressure or it will feel squirrelly. Having new tires will be like night & day…after you put new tread on and it feels the same you’re in a learning curve.
          Post a Pic of your tire..
          2009 Roady
          2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

• DWD6955
            DWD6955 commented
            Editing a comment
            I maintain 36 psi in front and rear, will take a pic this afternoon after work. I don’t have a gauge but tread appears to be about 3/32” or little less on out sides and bald in center. Will check inside and out and get back. I’m with you all on new tires. Will be night and day.

• KFallsRider
            KFallsRider commented
            Editing a comment
            Needs to be 40/41 psi in the rear..if you look at the VIN sticker (located right side front)
            Gives recommended Factory Air pressure..not what’s on the side of the tire
            Low air and bald in the center ..? hmmm that’s a squirrelly ride

I was going by manual specs rated for 0-198 lb load. I’ve attached the Clymer manual spec but maybe the 40/41lb would make a diff. I’ve been eating a lot more and put on a few pounds right at that 198-200 lb border line but yes, will give that a try. Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Dry weight..no bags / no extras
            2009 Roady
            2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

• DWD6955
              DWD6955 commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably at that limit.

Back and front tires. Not as bald as I thought in the rear center. Open for comments
            Attached Files

Comment

• Brad_G
              Brad_G commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually that rear is better shape than I expected from your description. Mine is probably underinflated and part of what I occasionally feel. It's also cupped and I can hear the change when I begin to lean. I've got a new Commander II waiting for me to put on.

• DWD6955
              DWD6955 commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you have the same bike Brad? I was pricing those tires and they are reasonably priced.

• MikeyC
              MikeyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Dem is good looking tires!

DW, I sent you a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by DWD6955 View Post
              Back and front tires. Not as bald as I thought in the rear center. Open for comments
              Tires look ready for another season.

Comment

• DWD6955
                DWD6955 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’ll work.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by JHouse, 5 days ago
            17 responses
            0 likes