• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Pobasturd
    commented on 's reply
    I'm real happy with my EBC spring too.

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    Your other issues are a cable adjustment issue. I found I had to do minor adjustments at the lever when the bike got hot.

• J89k
    commented on 's reply
    Should totally fix your slipping issue.

• gillis.jordan
    commented on 's reply
    The Barnett pressure plate conversion literally makes the setup more simple than stock.

• Swampy
    replied
    The OEM spring plate is garbage, the clutch plates will slip winding out the bike.
    the spring conversion is designed to eleminate this slippage.I have installed
    brand new plates in my bike and the plates still slip winding out the bike, (yes the steel plates are all positioned correctly) i am hoping this spring and plate conversion will elemenate this irritating slippage.
    i also like the clutch to engage at the bottom of ithe lever not mid point of the lever bring let out. I like all of the friction zone not when the clutch is almost completely engaged.

I would like to know if this conversion will fix these issues.

Leave a comment:

• Horsehammerr
    replied
    Took a nice 377 mile breakin cruz Friday. All hills and variable tight to loose turns thru these Ozark hills I live in. This RaceTech front end combined with my good 'ole Flipped lowered Roadwing is the TITS. Had to force myself to slow down some 'till I really get the hang of it. Hope the new Star has this Good of suspension ! And I did everything I could to break this EBC clutch loose but , this baby GRABS ! Real glad for the new C2 on the rear. Also shifts with NO CLUNK , imagine that. Only problem I'm having is my hands and shoulders were weak after 3 months out of the saddle , WOW !

Leave a comment:

• Horsehammerr
    replied
    I like the simplicity of the stock configuration, fewer parts.

Leave a comment:

• TimB
    replied
    FYI, there's NOTHING better than Yamaha plates & Barnett SR-2. NOTHING!

Leave a comment:

• Horsehammerr
    replied
    I went CHEAP and put an EBC thicker than stock in mine with new Friction Discs. $56 at Dennis Kirks, new spring seat too. Got 97,000 miles out of my OEM and this EBC is wat thicker , SO !

Leave a comment:

• scottw
    replied
    There's another alt here if you can find some old stock at a yami dealer which is Yami did also mfg 2 high perf clutch springs to replace the weak stock type clutch spring,1 is approx 20% stiffer and the other is approx 25% stiffer under High Perf Star Accessories.

My friend put 1 in his 05 R* which is at approx 70-75k miles now with no clutch slippage using the original clutch plates and spacers the bike came with new.

Below i will post the info from Yami on those clutch springs.

Scott

================================================== ================================================== ===========
    STAGE 3 CLUTCH SPRING WITH 20% MORE HOLDING/CLAMPING STRENGTH FOR STOCK MOTOR WITH PIPES,BAK,PORTED INTAKE,DYNA3000,ETC. Yamaha Competition Clutch Spring The spring rate is 20% stiffer than the stock spring for increased clutch capacity. Reduces clutch slippage and resultant heat build-up under heavy use. Designed to handle increased power output from Stage IV configuration.Manufactured By: Yamaha Fits '08-'11 Road Star and '02-'09 Warrior
    Item: SPD-5PX09-84-00 Usually Ships In: 5-6 Business Days MSRP: $152.95/Our Price: $122.36
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STAGE 4 CLUTCH SPRING BETTER SUITED FOR HIGHER PERF SETUPS WITH HI COMPRESSION PISTONS,HI PERF CAMS,PIPES,BAK,PORTED INTAKE,HI PERF HEADS,PIPES,ETC. Manufactured By: Yamaha Stage IV for 98 & 102 cu. in. The spring rate is about 25% stiffer than the stock spring to handle the increased power output from Stage IV configuration. Fits '99-'07Road Star models
    Item: SPD-4WM09-84-10 Usually Ships In: 5-6 Business Days MSRP: $113.95/Our Price: $91.16
    ============================

BTW,these clutch springs fit later R*'s too thru when they stopped making them,it's just that it was quite a few yrs ago when i gathered this info which is why the listing stopped at some yrs back.

Leave a comment:

• giostar
    replied
    I have to replace mine soon I started to notice more slippage last summer and I will tackle the task this year.

Leave a comment:

• Ypsilonn
    replied
    I got the barnett conversion shown above and i changed the sprins to the red ones. Stiffest ones i could find. 99pounds of force per spring IF i remember correctly.
    Installation is a breeze, just watch the installation video you can find on youtube. It has one step that you might get confused with. It had something to do with how you need to place the part so it goes straight right.
    But great conversion! Very pleasant even with stiff springs

Leave a comment:

• BigPainRing
    replied
    I just installed the Barnett pressure plate with springs. Clutch works great now and engagement point is just about half lever travel which is where I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    commented on 's reply
    No waste on your oil, ATF will not hurt your oil. Friction plates will suck up the ATF and is one of the best oils for them.

• Shores
    replied
    Originally posted by Kobra101 View Post
    Patiently waiting for it to arrive in the mail... Does anyone have torque specs for clutch case cover and for the clutch ?
    The cover is about 88 inch pounds. The stock spring retainer is 68 inch pounds. I just did mine with an EBC spring and just got home from a ride. Feels great! Also changed the engine and transfer case oil.

Leave a comment:

• daveto
    commented on 's reply
    is atf really suitable to soak in? If yes then I wasted a litre of ams oil for nothin!

• Kobra101
    replied
    Patiently waiting for it to arrive in the mail... Does anyone have torque specs for clutch case cover and for the clutch ?

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I used. Still works great after 27k miles.
    Soak friction plates in ATF for about 3 hours before installing.

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    Lmao.

• Kobra101
    replied
    Originally posted by Shores View Post
    Clutch plates are USUALLY OK, you have two choices on Barnett spring strength, make sure you index everything with the plate and basket knotches before you put the cover on or you’ll have to redo it, some folks have had issues with a bearing going out after the Barnett install, left hand will become as strong as your right!
    lol... well ebay had a deal I couldn't refuse 270$ for the entire combo clutch Barnett spring conversion kit, Barnett carbon friction plates and steel plates!

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Lug Nut, 19 hours ago
15 responses
1 like
Last Post Sharpman66  
Started by Lug Nut, 1 day ago
4 responses
2 likes
Last Post Sharpman66