Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine guys need your input: Working w/ maker of Rocker Lockers to make a R* version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shores
    replied
    Davej was asking about the success of my rocker locker mod that I described here previously. So after probably 2,000 miles or so, the engine remains much quieter than it was before. I now look forward to every ride, with the ability to just listen to the exhaust and the wind in my flowing hair! The most noticeable is at a cold start, I no longer have the rattling that I had before. An important fact that Duke pointed out was that the 1600s have solid rocker arm shafts and the 1700s have hollow rocker arm shafts which are likely to make more noise if they are loose in the towers and banging against the OEM lock bolt. Additionally I readjusted the valves at .002" per dukes recommendation versus the typical zero lash to allow for heat expansion. My 2008 runs extremely strong through all gears.

Leave a comment:

• LDofDC
    commented on 's reply
    Glad you are okay!

• Doc_V
    replied
    Shame about your bike Steve; glad your OK though. Bike parts can always be replaced, but it sounds like yours fared pretty well. Stay safe out there.

Leave a comment:

• NCB
    replied
    Glad your OK Shores!! I hope the driver was cited for the accident?

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    Originally posted by NCB View Post
    So what you guys have done, Is it just to quiet the motor or is there any other benefit?
    It quiets the engine top end . This particular mod is for the 1700. Duke is working on a similar fix for the 1600's. The rocker shafts are a little different on the 1600's

Leave a comment:

• NCB
    replied
    So what you guys have done, Is it just to quiet the motor or is there any other benefit?

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    commented on 's reply
    I'm glad your ok Steve, and it wasn't any worse.
    Make sure you check everything close.

• davej
    replied
    That sucks but happy to hear you are OK. Also happy to hear that the bike is quieter. Mine was very noticeably quieter. I did mine at the end of the year and my test ride was about 5 miles in the cold as hell fall weather. I can't wait to get a good long ride to see if thing change when it is hot outside.

Leave a comment:

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    That sucks, typical though as the phone comes out before they stop to get maximum phone time while stopped.

• Shores
    replied
    Well I got the gas tank on and the new fuel sending unit works great. The upper end definitely sounds a little quieter. There is still that sucking sound from my large k&n intake filter and I can hear that typical lifter/valve tick Went and filled up with gas. Rode without my ear plugs and really enjoyed listening to the quiet engine. Stopped and put my earplugs back in and still more quiet than before...... until that bitch rear-ended me at a stoplight four blocks before I was able to get home. A single lane road, totally straight for 2 mi and she couldn't keep her shit together. These bikes must be extremely tough. she hit me so hard it knocked me over on the right side but so far the only damage appears to be the outer tail light lens and the rear fender buckled about a half inch between the saddle bag mounts. No damage to the tail light bezel, turning lights, mufflers. Not going to take it apart until the insurance looks at it. Hopefully the fender subframe isn't bent.

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    commented on 's reply
    Probably yes to both of your questions. running between my computer and another I came in at an angle because I wanted to stay away from the stock bolt. I guess I should have measured more accurately.

• davej
    replied
    Is that because you installed the bolts offset on the tower? I guess I got lucky when I installed mine on the top of the tower. Everything fit just fine with no other mods. Would a hex head bolt have fit better?

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C37C7389-2271-41BD-B1E3-A6337ED841A8.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	117784 Click image for larger version

Name:	7C66B83E-CA99-4D06-B789-76EBBC8D7E19.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	117783 So I intentionally tapped the holes on the right side because there was more space there under the valve covers. But I didn’t see the reinforcing ribs on the underside of the covers. I had to grind the two ribs down on the rear cover because they were hitting the bolts. The front cover seemed to go on OK.

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Originally posted by davej View Post
    nice Job Steve!!!! Have you started the bike yet?
    No, I was busy yesterday and once the garage warms up I will check the Valve gap today, reinstall the valve covers, install new plugs and reinstall my fuel tank.

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    nice Job Steve!!!! Have you started the bike yet?

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
    Nice Job Steve. Did you drill completely through both sides of the shaft or just through to the center?
    I just drilled through one side of the hollow shaft. A 10-24x1/2” just protruded through the shaft wall about 1/8”. Perfect! Lots of oily shavings inside the shaft so I rotated rolled up paper towels through the shaft about six times to clean it all out. My shop vac wouldn’t get it out.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Nice Job Steve. Did you drill completely through both sides of the shaft or just through to the center?

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_15433.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	117633 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_15432.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	117632 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_15431.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	117631 “Like a surgeon....”
    ”Cutting for the very first time......”........Weird Al

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like you did a really good job Steve. I'm sure it will work out for you.

• davej
    replied
    Glad to hear it all went well. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by roadiemort, 3 hours ago
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post roadiemort  
Started by Jaybo, 02-26-2021, 10:22 PM
231 responses
3 likes
Last Post YamaDave