No announcement yet.

2012 stock air intake reinstall - missing OEM parts after K&N cone installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 stock air intake reinstall - missing OEM parts after K&N cone installed

I bought a 2012 RS Silverado (yay me!). Came with this stainless cone K&N bolted right on intake. Produced a loud and kind of annoying constant sucking sound so Im swapping it back to stock. One of the great users here (thanks mlharper!) sent me their 2012 OEM intake. Im missing some stock pieces like the stay and third bottom bolt that were probably tossed when they upgraded to the cone thing. There is also an air tube (I think that came with the K&N filter that replaced the stock filter in OEM airbox) that I have no idea where it goes. See below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ais.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	105666

The OEM parts diagram also shows an elbow joint and tube I need to get but I cant tell where they connect, I see no connection for it to attach to.

Name:	ais2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	105664

Anyone know where that K&N nipple/outlet goes and where the elbow piece in second picture goes?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Kind of confused with your question but all you need to do is plug the small hole in the back of the intake box if you have removed the AIS and go to a hardware store and get a metric machine screw that you are missing. I have removed the two screws that come from the back to hold the chrome cover on and instead just use the single bolt in the middle of the chrome cover to hold it on. That way I can access the filter without taking the entire box off. Not sure what you mean when you say the stay is missing unless you mean the bracket that the lower machine screw goes into.

Comment

Guess that wasnt too clear. All I have is an opening into the engine after cone KN removed. I have this OEM AIS to install, that has an aftermarket KN metal filter on it.

Name:	ais.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	105683

That hose outlet on the back has nowhere to attach to. And the Bike has none of the stock OEM parts that are supposed to be there, the items in red box that are supposed to attach to engine (where arrows point). And I dont even see anywhere on the stock AIS or engine to attach them to get it back to stock.

Name:	ais2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	105684

Comment

The box you have slips directly onto the throttle body and tightens with a special hose clamp that typically stays on the box. The nipple on the back of the box would normally have a hose attached to it that would also attach to a nipple on the top of the rear valve cover and allow engine fumes to enter the box and be burned with the fuel. But the previous owner may have disconnected the hose from the air intake box and plugged the hole in the box. Then he may have attached the hose coming from the rear valve cover to a separate little air filter he added so oil fumes aren’t sent into the engine combustion chamber. This is common to do. Find the hose attached to the rear valve cover and see where it leads. Likely it attaches to a small filter under the fuel tank, under the engine or on the side of the engine. The AIS on a fuel infected Roadstar is an item that is about the size of two fists, is located on the front of the engine above the starter, has two chrome tubes attached to it and has no connection to the air intake box. It may still be on your bike, but most folks remove them. Your photo is of the air intake box, not the AIS which stands for air injection system,. It injects fresh air into the exhaust ports to burn unburned fuel upon deceleration. It can cause a popping noise with aftermarket exhaust so most folks just remove it and plug the holes where the AIS tubes attach to the front of the cylinder heads. Send us photos of the front and left side of the engine and we can then tell if the AIS is still there or if it has been removed.

Comment

Thanks you. That explains a ton. I appreciate the careful reply. For a basic oem air intake box swap for a single K&N filter cone that the last owner did, thats not a dramatic air/fuel change that would require any ECM reflash or reprogramming would it?

Comment

• Shores
            Shores commented
            Editing a comment
            No you won’t need a fuel processor. Don’t even think about it, waste your money or buy an item that will end up on your shop shelf. The stock processor will adjust just fine. Read this entire thread below and report back for the 250 question exam. Run the stock ECU and make sure the O2 sensors are connected. Also, change all fluids so you have a benchmark of when they were changed....engine oil, transfer case oil, and brake fluid.

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...ion-facts-tips

• a_gunslinger
            a_gunslinger commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks again. I was more wondering if the previous owner, on his mission to improve air intake, make done some reprogramming for the all the stock stuff he removed and conical KN he added.

• Bikerron
            Bikerron commented
            Editing a comment
            The Road Star’s ECM cannot be reprogrammed. Only way to modify the fuel delivery it is with an aftermarket fuel processor.

They are a headache. If you think the bike is running weird I’d look for anything the previous owner might have installed.

The hose from rear valve cover goes to two box on right side. Looks OEM but maybe not...

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	105823Click image for larger version

Name:	vent1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	105824

Comment

• Shores
            Shores commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s the hose from the rear surface of the rear valve cover which goes to the oil tank. There is another hose from the front surface of the rear valve cover that I am speaking of. You have to pull the fuel tank to see it. It typically goes to the back of the air intake box but I’ll bet the PO has it going to a separate small air filter somewhere.

I failed trying to get gas tank off first try. Thats probably one of the most searched topics ever, but no videos. Some people just learn better visually. But I did see your post describing it in text I will try later today:

Name:	tanks.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	108011

I got it up in the air a little bit, harder when heavy with gas. I saw no front surface hose on rear cover. But not best view.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Shores. Think that connects to missing part #12 on stock case (post #3 above)? Actually stock case I got from a member here has a KN in it which required some mods, leaving an empty breather spot. Would accept #2 I bet. Will try and get tank off today. "Tank" you.

Comment

Empty the tank, remove it, get a flashlight, get a service manual, get familiar with the parts diagram on the Yamaha motorcycles website.

Comment

• MikeyC
                  MikeyC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Empty the tank? huhhh? I just close the petcock and set it on a box or block so its not setting on the petcock.

Is the back of his box missing Number 7 in that schematic? Thats just a start.
                It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyC View Post
                  Empty the tank? huhhh? I just close the petcock and set it on a box or block so its not setting on the petcock.
                  He said it was too heavy with fuel in it so I suggested emptying it. I have Popeye arms so no need to empty the tank.

Comment

And yes, the hose you're looking for would go to missing part 12, common mod to do what Shores said. To get tank off unplug green plug at back of tank, remove chrome dash panel and unplug those wires, 2 connectors, and remove that vent tube. shut petcock and disconnect fuel line, lift back of tank an inch or two and pull back on tank while lifting. When you get it off you will see why it works that way.
                    It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

On the 2012 there won't be a petcock as it's fuel injected. There is the fuel line connector that needs removed under the left chrome cover.

Comment

Thanks all. I knew there was no petcock so looking for that missing step. Will give it a go tomorrow.

Comment

• MikeyC
                          MikeyC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My apologies, I missed the year of the bike.

Originally posted by MikeyC View Post
                        Is the back of his box missing Number 7 in that schematic? Thats just a start.
                        No, I have part 7. Everything swapped out well minus the missing pieces scrapped when original owners went to KN filter in stock airbox, then to single cone strapped right on TB.

Comment

Read my lips! You either need a hose running from the back head breather (not the one that goes to your oil tank) to the back of the intake box or you need to run the hose from the back head breather down to the ground with nothing on the end or to another small universal filter and plug the hole in the back of the intake box. The breather hose just needs to be there to vent oil fumes, nothing else. It's not complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
                            Read my lips! You either need a hose running from the back head breather (not the one that goes to your oil tank) to the back of the intake box or you need to run the hose from the back head breather down to the ground with nothing on the end or to another small universal filter and plug the hole in the back of the intake box. The breather hose just needs to be there to vent oil fumes, nothing else. It's not complicated.
                            Lips read, and verified. With tank off saw it. Runs across to left front of bike down to the ground. Thanks! Will plug that KN vent outlet in stock air cleaner case.

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	108243

Comment

• Shores
                              Shores commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yahoo!

Latest Posts

Collapse