Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration

Hello all, hope ya keeping well.
    Would like to ask two questions. I got my bike on November last year. I didn't put to much miles on it because of the winter time. But since I got the bike I could make roughly 300-350miles. When I was for a spin this weekend and drove the bike to work today I realized I feel a lot more vibrations then before. The vibrations coming from handlebars, seat and floorboards (so the whole bike?)
    Is there any reason why it starts suddenly vibrate? Is there anything to check to prevent this?

And the second one.
    My turn signals do not keeps on. When Im preparing for a turn and start blinking they work as i checking them but sometimes they switch off before the turn or in the middle of the maneuver.
    Is this only a question to clean the turning switch or it needs proper mechanic check?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Jiri

Your Bike is a 2001 so that pretty much eliminate SVS, Give us more info on the vibration. It could be a low tire pressure or it could be a loose front drive pulley. more info may help track it down but those are 2 things I would check. As far as the turn signals they have an auto cancel that shuts them off, if you turn them on to far ahead of time before the turn the auto cancel is probably turning them off

Comment

Hi Dave. Bike is 2001. Its more like shaking the whole bike. I realized just recently even when Im starting the bike I see the rear fender and handlebars shaking. I didn't see it before. ( I just recently adjusted up a bit the revs ) not sure if this can make any change.
      Thx for the advices. I didnt know the bike has an auto cancellation.

Comment

Check the front drive pulley they are known to come loose. Also the idle speed will only make a difference at idle but it should be set at around 900 - 950 rpm and not at a low lumpy idle. The self cancel is set by distance the owners manual says they cancel at 490 feet of travel.

Comment

Thanks very much mate. Really appreciate it. Will check that for sure and will report back.
          jiri

Comment

Absolutely do what davej says 1st. Remember, it's a v-twin. Things are going to shake. The lower the idle, the more shake.

I had a 2000 RS that vibrated and shook like you are describing. It was so bad that everything looked blurry riding down the road and you could feel it in the bars and footrests like you said. The guys here stuck with me with several posts and suggestions but no matter what I tried, the problem remained. I finally sold the bike to a member here. Told me hat he could take care of it. He loosened up the entire exhaust and adjusted it so that there wasn't any pressure or binding and slowly tightened everything up while checking that things weren't binding. Chatted with him about a week later and he told me that vibration/buzzing was gone and said that this has worked on several Roadies he's worked on.

Comment

Grubsie... was that ME? I bought one from a fellow in NH a few years back. I rode it home that day... and, it was the very worst shaking Roadie I'd ever ridden. But, sure enough... I loosened the entire exhaust up, just kept moving and tightening everything, starting at the heads, and working back to the final muffler attachment bolt... and, CURED. I didn't keep it though. I went through it, kept what I wanted from it... attached some stuff I wanted gone, and flipped it. My advice, about general shaking, like what's described above, might be cured with a complete exhaust re-attachment like I just mentioned. Though, I will say, I find it odd that it developed over a winter of sitting... That makes 0 sense!

Comment

• grubsie
                grubsie commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure was. Put a lot of work into that bike but couldn't cure that shaking and I tried everything people suggested here. Glad you did well on that flip. Adjusting the exhaust will be forever on my mind thanks to your cure.

Hi Guys. Thanks for your inputs.
              The bike didn't sit over the winter. Here in Ireland we actually have just really few chili days. Temperature is between 0-10c whole winter. Only really few drops under 0.
              It may have something to do with the exhaust as I bought second hand stock mufflers and I install them my self. They didn't fit properly so I had to loose few things and tightened everything like crazy.
              could we not use some those rubber shock absorbents like we use in cages? I remember how difficult was to tight the 2 last mufflers bolts.

Comment

Had the bike sat in the rain at all during the winter? Did you put any stabilizer in the tank when you parked it? Had you recently filled up the tank? These bikes do vibrate a lot when stationary, then smooth out as the RPMs climb. Are the idle RPMs lower now than you remember last fall? Is it possible you just never paid close attention to how much it shook at idle before? I ask, because if it's worse now when stationary as well as riding, it's not your pulley or wheel a balance issue. Are you leaving the enricher knob out when riding? Is there any hesitation in the throttle at any point? Have you touched the spark plugs, wires, filters, or any part of the motor, exhaust, etc., over the winter?

Originally posted by davej View Post
                As far as the turn signals they have an auto cancel that shuts them off...
                Really? This is honest to goodness news to me. My 99 didn't have it and to the best of my knowledge, neither does my 06. But then I'm pretty on it when it comes to canceling the turn signals.

Janskin, as for the turn signals, I'd start with getting a can of electrical contact cleaner spray, shoot some in the switch, and work the lever back and forth, in and out and repeat.

Comment

• davej
                  davej commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep they sure do have auto cancel. yamaha has been using auto cancel at least since the 70's It was even on my 77 XS750. The owners manual says it canels at 490ft distance after activation. If I'm not mistaken it is built into the turn signal relay but I'm not sure where it gets the distance signal or how the 2 are connected. With that in mind if your turn relay has been swapped out with a aftermarket relay you would loose that feature.

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well hell, you learn something new every day. Thx Dave. I'll have to try it out if I can ever find that damn dowel pin and get my bike back together.

Originally posted by Jaskin71 View Post
                could we not use some those rubber shock absorbents
                Glad you asked. I asked that question here a while back and was basically told it wouldn't work so I put it on the back burner until recently. I have been experimenting with exactly that and the results are phenomenal. Like a whole new ride. Hardly any vibration at all and the buzzy on the highway disappeared. Still has the nice v-twin thump though. Won't be able to finalize anything for about a month when I come back from vacation.

My setup is probably different than yours. I have Bassani true dual headers with Rinehart slip on mufflers that are supported with a L-bracket that attaches to the hard bag mounts. The Rineharts have a space between their mounting brackets and that's where I placed the rubber mounts. I made a temporary support bracket to line up with the rubber mount so I could test it out. Will make a good one when I get back and maybe different rubber mounts.

Comment

• D-Fresh
                  D-Fresh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Post pics of the rubber mount if you can please.

• Brad_G
                  Brad_G commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will be interested to see what you come up with. Some rubber dampers sure seems like it could be a good thing.

I used these but I don't think they will last. They"re more of an isolator than a rubber mount.
                https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Uni...ushing/4582467

Gonna get these for the final fitment. Much stronger. and beefier. Similar to the setup that is designed from Mama Yamaha on my RSV for muffler supports.
                https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA..._vc=IDPPLARECS

I will take a pic of my setup if I have time before I'm off on vacation. If not when I get back and finish with the final set up.

Comment

Jaskin, if you did that exhaust work that you spoke of, the odds are pretty high, you need to do a re-install, in the manner I described. I've had to do it several times for R* owners who had vibration issues, and it was cured every time! I'm certain I learned the trick from right here on the Clinic years ago!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Cecallred, 3 days ago
                  11 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Questcap  
                  Started by 99YamaDavidson, 11 hours ago
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Questcap