Remeber to check your NUTS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remeber to check your NUTS!

Hey guys, Spring is coming and I know i'm here but don't forget to check your front pulley nut.
    I was getting a slight oil leak under my front pulley area. I just pulled the cover off and my nut was finger loose. The bent tab on the washer was still holding it from spinning off. I have only had this bike for 2 years, and I found the nut loose when I originally bought it.
    I know some people never have a problem with this on their bike, but plenty do.
    For a little piece of mind, make sure you check your before riding season starts and avoid huge troubles down the road.
    FYI torque to 61 ft-lb's (correct me if i'm wrong) and use loctite. some use red, some use blue your choice (i'm using red this time)

I'm just happy that all I have to do is tighten mine in the garage, and that i'm not sitting on the side of the road with a bike that wont move.
    But now, while I have it apart do I want to go to a 31t ??? hmmmmm
    owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that

So just a thought, if it was loose and the tab was still bent over the flat of the nut do you think it may be time to replace the tab washer? It must be damaged if it isn't holding it in place and allowing the nut to spin. It apparently isn't locked down to the shaft on the ID of the washer, Also when you bend the OD over the nut bend it in as many places as you can not just 1 place. If I remember correctly you can get 1 bent on the flat of the nut and it will leave a spot on the other side that can be bent around 2 flats and around the point of those 2 flats.

Comment

• cike
      cike commented
      Editing a comment
      the tab was keeping it from spinning, but I could wiggle the nut back and with the tab bent. when I unbent it, I could spin the nut off by hand. replacing the washer is probably a good idea while i'm in there.
      I think while I have it apart i'm going to go ahead and order the 31t pulley, replace the inner seal, lock washer, and red loctite the nut on.
      This is not my trip bike so the extra rpm's shouldn't hurt my riding style any.

• Flashback
      Flashback commented
      Editing a comment
      If you go to the 31T bump up the rev limiter or you will find you hit it quicker than you can shift .........

Originally posted by davej View Post
    So just a thought, if it was loose and the tab was still bent over the flat of the nut do you think it may be time to replace the tab washer? It must be damaged if it isn't holding it in place and allowing the nut to spin. It apparently isn't locked down to the shaft on the ID of the washer, Also when you bend the OD over the nut bend it in as many places as you can not just 1 place. If I remember correctly you can get 1 bent on the flat of the nut and it will leave a spot on the other side that can be bent around 2 flats and around the point of those 2 flats.
    FYI, I just put the Barons 31 tooth pulley on my 02, And the French lock washer provided with the pulley Would NOT fit onto the splines on the shaft, ended up using the old one, the nut was found Tight when I disassembled it, I like the 31 pulley.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Father Pobasturd, 7 hours ago
    5 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post Questcap  
    Started by Father Pobasturd, 36 minutes ago
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post Questcap