Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agpilot
    commented on 's reply
    If it takes thirty seconds of cranking to start your Bike, you have a problem. LOL...

• Agpilot
    commented on 's reply
    Mine is still going strong . Haven't ridden much this year, but mine will sit for a month or so and I can go to the garage and it fires up like it was just rode the day before... Say What you want and you guys can argue amongst yourself abut the 500cca, but mine still cranks like knew over 6 years old. CORRECTION... My log on bike says April of 2011 installed Power Sports Lightning.

• Bikerron
    replied
    “CCA is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts.”

i can just imagine, if a Road Star starter could pull 600 amps for 30 seconds, what would be left after the meltdown.

Leave a comment:

• texasscott1
    commented on 's reply
    Probably the same or higher.. It takes about a week for Yuasa to certify the actual CCA of one of their batteries.

• davej
    replied
    stock battery cable is 6ga. I make and sell an upgraded 4 ga battery cable set.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Schenk
    commented on 's reply
    looks like starter is fed with 100 volt # 4 wire maybe, looks bigger than #6. So max it can handle would be 80 amps and they never load it to that. Usually 75% . Any more than that wire would get sticky.

• davej
    commented on 's reply
    I agree. I'm looking more for longevity when looking for a battery. Yuasa probably has the market cornered in longevity. Hell my OEM Yuasa was in my bike for 7yrs and was still going strong when I took it out. So far the lightning start has also been good in longevity for me. It is the 2nd battery in my bike and it is an 07. I'm not sure what the starter draw would be. I would think there would be some variables but even with variable I don't think the difference would be much.

• Brian Schenk
    commented on 's reply
    really what is a starter drawing maybe 45 to 50 so any of them in good shape should do the job. There is a federal standard but don't know the number of it or if it is stated on the case like they do with oil and stuff.

• davej
    replied
    I think the testers are temp corrected numbers. without controlled lab conditions like you stated it's hard to know what any of them would test in those conditions. I would hope that the manufacturers are held to some sort of standard when slapping specs on them. I would like to see what a 310 Yuasa would test at with the same conditions and tester as was used on mine.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Schenk
    commented on 's reply
    500 amps at 0 degrees for 30 seconds? Darn good battery if so

• davej
    replied
    I went thru my notes that I saved because this has been discussed in the past. Mine checked at Advance Auto @ 449CCA. Just because Yuasa don't make one with this cca don't mean it cant be done with todays technology. It just means that they may think that it is not cost effective to produce so they don't want to make one because of the bean counters. They make a great battery as I have said but they are not the god of all battery makers that set a standard for the highest cca batteries on the market. I'll bet their bean counters have more control over the batteries they make than the R&D department.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Schenk
    commented on 's reply
    I think there is some voodoo involved to get 500cca from a 15 lb. battery. I would have to see it in a load test to believe it. Could it be done YUASA would have done it. All in the formula they use to come up with that number.

• davej
    commented on 's reply
    No I don't. This one works well enough I haven't been even thinking of a battery so I didn't know they made a 600cca model. lol From my experience with the lightning start I wouldn't have a problem buying another when I need one. I also wouldn't have any problem buying a Yuasa. They are one of the few batteries you can buy with confidence.

• Ironman
    commented on 's reply
    Know anything about the 600 cca model? Might be too wide...

https://powersportbatteries.com/harl...y-upgrade.html

• davej
    replied
    I've had that lightning start 500 in mine for about 5 years. It has never failed me

Leave a comment:

• Lug Nut
    replied
    I've used 500 cca Lightning Start and 310 cca Yuasa...both great.

Leave a comment:

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    Good battery, my 07 came with the 270cca yuasa from the dealer, I changed it after 7 years only because of it's age, it was still cranking.

• Bikerron
    commented on 's reply
    Winnah!

• texasscott1
    replied
    The Yuasa YTX20HL-BS 310 CCA is listed on Amazon for $76.00 with free shipping. Or with a Yuasa charger $118.14

Leave a comment:

• Brian Schenk
    replied
    I just put in a 310cca AGM battery from NAPA. I think it was a little over 100 dollars.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by ian pemberton, 1 week ago
10 responses
0 likes
Last Post DikW
by DikW

Started by Jaybo, 02-08-2020, 05:54 PM
52 responses
2 likes