It's time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time

Took my daughter for a ride today, she weighs about 150. She didn't care for my suction cup pillion pad. It stayed in place just fine but after 20 miles she was ready to head back home. Encountered a pokey car on the way back so I jammed it into 4th around 50 mph and opened it up, and the revs took off, but the bike didn't. As soon as I let off it hooked back up and was fine at 1/2 throttle, but now I know I can't wait much longer to do a new clutch spring. It's only slipped twice before in 5th with just me aboard and just barely, but this means no more fun till I fix it, I'll have to baby it everywhere I go. I usually do anyway but now that I can't romp it whenever I want it pisses me off like a spoiled little brat. Once upon a time I would have jumped on this job without a second thought, but now days, my mind ain't what it used to be and my body's worse. I may have to baby it till my birthday, when I get a small windfall and can afford to have it done. I already priced the EBC spring I want to go with, 52.30 on Ebay, have not found the gasket yet. I also have a little seepage from my clutch actuator arm that I may as well address while I'm there. So, parts are under $100 easy, I'm just wondering what a shop is gonna nail me for to do it. It's tempting to try it myself but my confidence is low. I can't complain after 6 years and 59K miles and nothing but a key switch replacement and an enrichener cover replacement. Anyone have any idea what the book hours are on this job?

[/URL] [URL=https://www.use.com/ca5b3f65ee41b85dc8e3][/URL][/CENTER]" class="bbcode-attachment thumbnail" alt="" />

Aren’t there some Phx members there who could assist? You take it apart and they reinstall?

Comment

I have already leaned on people twice for help, the first one will not speak to me or acknowledge PM's, the second was quite recent, but I have not heard a word from him since. He's a member here, but I believe he actually rides a RSV and his son has a Road Star. I think he joined mainly for tech info for the son's bike and does not frequent the site as I have not seen him on here again. So, I know there are others and a few FNG's, but I feel like a charity case asking. I still have a little pride left. I need to study the procedure awhile and see exactly what I'm up against.

[/URL] [URL=https://www.use.com/ca5b3f65ee41b85dc8e3][/URL][/CENTER]" class="bbcode-attachment thumbnail" alt="" />

Comment

I changed mine and it was not a biggie. Left bike on side stand and I sat on a 5 gal. bucket. Daytona Beach dealer cuts gaskets to order. Sorry but I do not know the dealer cost. Best wishes on your project.

Comment

FB, If you could ride your bike to Farmington, NM, I'd be glad to do the clutch change for you.
          It's 630 miles from you, approximately 7 hours, and would give you a good ride.

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
            Father Pobasturd commented
            Editing a comment
            I would almost take you up on that if I didn't have to haul Oxygen with me. I almost bought a home up there 13 years ago. I was back in Texas at the time, sent emails back & forth with this real estate agent for a week, place looked great in the pics seemed to good a deal to be true...sure enough it was. I get up there to check it out and the place backs up to the county landfill. Son of a bitch, could have told me that in the emails, but , no, I didn't ask that particular question. It's not often I meet a bigger asshole than myself, but that day I did.

• Duke
            Duke commented
            Editing a comment
            I know what you mean. Their out for the buck, you meet them everywhere. If you find a way to make it here, the offer is still good.

Don't actually need a gasket either... I used an RTV gasket making material according to directions, and it worked perfectly. Just make certain you get all the old off... and I cleaned the surfaces with a scotch pad disc thingie that gently removed all old gasket material cleanly and and quickly. I'm in MA... If I were anywhere nearby, I'd gladly spend a day with you, and we'd do this together! Two old geezers, taking our sweet time to make your bike right again. I used the EBC, too, and for about the very same money... was the perfect fix!

Comment

I imagine $75/hr and prob charge 2 hours labor min. I did the ebc in my RSV and it was fine but I resurfaced steels and got new OEM discs. At 59k mIles you better surface the steels real good and maybe think about an OEM clutch pack. ...I did a complete Barnett on my sidecar bike....first I did the $18 Barnett springs and felt great for a week then slipped again (bike has 15k miles so I thought discs would be mint). I pulled it all back apart and clutch discs were gone..COMPLETELY gone and steels were brown/black. I got steels and carbon fiber from Barnett and new springs.....now it don't slip. But scrap g gaskets and wasting oil is NOT worth saving $ on not doing clutch discs if it needs it.

Comment

I can’t speak to the actuator arm, but I just did the rest on my bike including the EBC spring (which is very easy to install). Your time is going to depend on how bad the gasket is to get off. If it’s bad you can easily give yourself 90 minutes there alone. It’s not difficult, just tedious. The cover & gasket removal, new gasket, and EBC spring can be knocked out in about three to four hours, and I’m slow.

2000 Road Star 1600a

Comment

I did it on an almost new bike and it took me about 2 hours. Gasket was pretty easy on that one (most likely because the bike was less than a year old).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Darkkill57, 3 days ago
                24 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Brian Schenk  
                Started by AR. Hillbilly, 1 week ago
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post AR. Hillbilly