Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil?

I have always ran yamalube or motul semi synthetic which is between 18-20$ a litre Canadian here. I can get amsoil full synthetic v twin for 14$ a litre. Any pros and cons to different oils. I’m sure it’s been discussed to death.

Oil is the one place you don't want to skimp on the R*. Better to pay a little extra now for the right oil than pay for expensive engine repairs later.

There are two significant requirements when choosing oil for the R* and both must be met. It must be a motorcycle specific oil, designed for wet clutches, and it needs to contain at least 1500 ppm ZDDP.

As long as an oil meets both of those requirements you're good to go. Unfortunately Yamalube no longer provides an oil that meets both these requirements. The safe bet is a V-Twin specific oil. Most popular is Mobil 1 V-Twin, but ther are a number of other brands that will also work. If you search the site for ZDDP, you'll find a couple threads that lists several options. If all you have available in your area is the Amsoil V-Twin, I'd stick with that.

FYI- Using regular automotive oil on a motorcycle will cause the clutch to slip, as well as overheat, which cooks the oil. Using an oil without sufficient ZDDP will cause premature and potentially catastrophic wear; especially to the cams and lifters. Use the proper oil and these motors will easily go past 160k kilometers.

Comment

What he said... do not deviate from that!!!

Comment

I have everything accessible. Used yamalube without any issues then switched to motul v twin synthetic blend. Was just curious where I have seen such a big price gap in oils. But nothing is cheaped out with me. Was just curious. Guess I’ll stick with the motul semi blend.

The reason I was asking was I had one buddy saying amsoil was great and another guy saying he didn’t like it.

Comment

I run Mobil 1 10-40 MC Racing synthetic. Rarely gets above 90 degrees here.

Comment

Couldn't wait for another oil thread. Wait a minute. Didn't I just post the last one? Oh yeah, it was about cooking oils and there was no clear winner!

Carry on.

Comment

Well, somebody had better post that link on that 10-year old MC oil test comparison white paper... I recall that Amsoil and Mobil 1 were the two top brands, but... I don't think the Motul fared all that well... And, I know somebody's going to bring this up again, YES, Amsoil PAID for the test, BUT, fer cryin' out loud, It was an outside lab that conducted lubrication industry standardized tests. Amsoil did NOT conduct the tests. The lab probably never even knew, during testing, who was paying the bill... and they wouldn't FUDGE the tests, because their own credibility would have been on the line... and ruined! So, can we just take the paper at face-value... and, the more important fact, that the results are now 10-years old, and it's possible every one of the manufacturers have since reformulated?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Questcap View Post
                and it's possible every one of the manufacturers have since reformulated?!?!?
                From my understanding in my brief research is that there are many brands that underwent reformulation recently in which most have considerably reduced the zinc levels including Yamalube. I have narrowed down my list of oils that I would recommend to others or use in my R to 4 Brands.
                The list is in no particular order of preference. All are synthetic.

1) Red Line 10w-40 and 20w-50 - zddp 2125 expensive as hell though...…

2) Amsoil 10w-40 metric and 20w-50 v-twin both - zddp 1400....…

3) Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40, just qualifies at zddp 1200 and Mobil 1 20w-50 v-twin zddp 1700. Although the 20w50 v-twin oil no longer has the jaso/ma rating on their bottles, Mobil claims that it is still good for wet clutches.

4) Maxima v-twin and Maxima Pro+ both - zddp 1350.

Comment

• Doc_V
                  Doc_V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good post.

• Bikerron
                  Bikerron commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40, just qualifies at zddp 1200...
                  And, that is the ppm level fresh out of the bottle. The attitive is sacrificial and degrades as the miles stack up. By the time the oil change rolls around how much is left?
                  Enough? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Here's a good thread if you want some more choices and a bit more detail.
                i found a NEW AMSOIL PRODUCT AT NAPA 20-50W high zinc formula motorcycle compatible, wet clutch compatible. PRODUCT CODE AR0-QT 97012 01401 whats the verdict ? PLEASE CHIME IN ONLY IF YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED MECHANIC. i know the feds are mandating zddp reduction due to its affinity for mucking up CADILLACTIC CONVERTERS.....

Comment

I saw Lucas ZDDP break-in oil at the local parts place, just did a search, and found this from the Summit Racing site:

Q: What is the PPM of ZDDP of this product? I see via a previous question that 16oz is capable of raising the ZDDP level of 8 quarts of oil. The oil I am using is conventional which has 830 PPM of ZDDP.

Asked by DAVID on September 13, 2018

A:

Thank you for your question. Lucas Oil 10063-1 break-in oil additive will have the following levels of PPM.

Lucas Oil 10063-1: TB Zinc Plus 31,000 PPM
                  Lucas Oil 10063-1: Mix Ratio: 4.5 qt Oil + 16oz Zinc Plus 3,500 PPM
                  Lucas Oil 10063-1: Mix Ratio: 4.75 qt Oil + 8oz Zinc Plus 1,600 PPM
                  Lucas Oil 10063-1: Mix Ratio: 4.9 qt Oil + 4oz Zinc Plus 1,000 PPM

Summit Racing Answer - September 27, 2018

Answer This Question
                  2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

You could certainly use a high ZDDP break-in additive with regular MC oil. 8oz of the Lucas Break-in additive to 3.75 quarts of *MC* oil for the R* would do the job. I haven't done the math but it'd be interesting see how it compares, price wise, to regular V-Twin oil. I recently paid $12.99 plus shipping for a 16 oz. bottle of that stuff from Summit online. [I got it to break in my new lifters.]
                    Last edited by Doc_V; 03-26-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

On the Amsoil website it says their 10W30 and 10W40 products are not recommended for bikes running a GL-4 or 5 gear oil which is what my 2013 Road Star uses. Almost bought the Amsoil to do the change but after reading this went to Yamalube .

Comment

Originally posted by Digger View Post
                        On the Amsoil website it says their 10W30 and 10W40 products are not recommended for bikes running a GL-4 or 5 gear oil which is what my 2013 Road Star uses. Almost bought the Amsoil to do the change but after reading this went to Yamalube .
                        I think you may be confused. The oil we use in our engines has nothing to do with the gear oil we use in our transfer cases. If the amsoil you are looking at is motorcycle oil it will work fine in our engines, just don't put it in the transfer case.

Comment

Digger... Not to dis you, but... Engine oil in the engine... gear oil in the transfer case. For our Roadies, the Amsoil 10w-40 for metrics may be the very best way to go, if 10-year old bike oil testing still means anything today... and, for the transfer case, just about 13 1/2 oz of a synthetic gear oil of the 70w-90 weight is a good way to go there. I've been using the Mobil 1 brand just because I trust it, and it's the first bottle I spot on the shelf. And, if you didn't catch it above, the Yamalube is NO LONGER suitable for our Road Stars since Yamaha reduced the ZDDP content in it.

Comment

What are people's thoughts on adding ZDDP to their oil (regardless what you use)?

Comment

What should be the minimum ZDDP for RS 1700?

Comment

Originally posted by jcova58 View Post
                                What should be the minimum ZDDP for RS 1700?
                                It’s about 1200 or 1300, but oil loses its concentration as it heats. Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the most common ones with high enough ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Questcap View Post
                                  Digger... Not to dis you, but... Engine oil in the engine... gear oil in the transfer case. For our Roadies, the Amsoil 10w-40 for metrics may be the very best way to go, if 10-year old bike oil testing still means anything today... and, for the transfer case, just about 13 1/2 oz of a synthetic gear oil of the 70w-90 weight is a good way to go there. I've been using the Mobil 1 brand just because I trust it, and it's the first bottle I spot on the shelf. And, if you didn't catch it above, the Yamalube is NO LONGER suitable for our Road Stars since Yamaha reduced the ZDDP content in it.
                                  No offence taken. - I think I know the difference between gear oil and engine oil. My gear oil is GL-4 and according to the Amsoil website I should not use their oil if GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required. See the cut and paste below from the Amsoil website. Am I reading this wrong?

APPLICATIONS
                                  Use
                                  AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil
                                  in Can-Am*, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW*, Triumph* and other motorcycles where 10W-40 motorcycle oil is required. Recommended for transmissions requiring an API GL-1 fluid. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Digger View Post

No offence taken. - I think I know the difference between gear oil and engine oil. My gear oil is GL-4 and according to the Amsoil website I should not use their oil if GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required. See the cut and paste below from the Amsoil website. Am I reading this wrong?

APPLICATIONS
                                    Use
                                    AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil
                                    in Can-Am*, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW*, Triumph* and other motorcycles where 10W-40 motorcycle oil is required. Recommended for transmissions requiring an API GL-1 fluid. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.
                                    I think you are misunderstanding this. Amsoil is saying don’t use their 10W-40 in a part of the bike that requires GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post

I think you are misunderstanding this. Amsoil is saying don’t use their 10W-40 in a part of the bike that requires GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil.
                                      Ah Ha!! I think you are right!! Thanks! I was really confused when they listed the bike on their website but couldn't figure out why list it and then say don't use it. LOL!! My bad!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                      Started by MrG, 1 hour ago
                                      4 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Ace
                                      by Ace

Started by Mr300game, 4 hours ago
                                      4 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post MikeyC
                                      by MikeyC

Started by roadiemort, 4 weeks ago
                                      157 responses
                                      1 like
                                      Last Post roadiemort  
                                      Started by Lug Nut, 11 hours ago
                                      10 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Lug Nut
                                      by Lug Nut

Started by JoeX, 9 hours ago
                                      9 responses
                                      1 like
                                      Last Post MikeyC
                                      by MikeyC

Started by Flyinfish, 1 day ago
                                      10 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post MikeyC
                                      by MikeyC

Started by chromax, 1 day ago
                                      7 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post chromax
                                      by chromax

Started by Blackcloud12, 07-27-2020, 10:42 PM
                                      55 responses
                                      2 likes
                                      Last Post Blackcloud12  
                                      Started by MrG, 1 day ago
                                      22 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Blackcloud12  
                                      Started by scotcher65, 23 hours ago
                                      4 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Blackcloud12  
                                      Started by YZ18, 14 hours ago
                                      3 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Lug Nut
                                      by Lug Nut

Started by Lug Nut, 1 week ago
                                      18 responses
                                      4 likes
                                      Last Post Jon D
                                      by Jon D

Started by Pauli466, 4 days ago
                                      19 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post 6door7r
                                      by 6door7r

Started by AR. Hillbilly, 02-01-2020, 10:31 AM
                                      79 responses
                                      2 likes
                                      Last Post AR. Hillbilly  
                                      Started by Doc_V, 22 hours ago
                                      4 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Jaybo
                                      by Jaybo

Started by Lug Nut, 1 day ago
                                      7 responses
                                      1 like
                                      Last Post Lug Nut