Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What? 5.5 quarts of engine oil!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What? 5.5 quarts of engine oil!

    Changed my oil on Saturday after a nice ride to heat her up and I ended up draining 5 1/2 quarts of oil out of her ! What in the world? I would think we all usually do 4 and no more, although the manual suggests 4.33. Should I be concerned about how much the previous owner had in there?

    Shiny Side ⬆︎ Rubber Side ⬇︎

  • #2
    I would check the filter that the crankcase vent goes to. There may have been some excessive out flow. It may need to be cleaned or replaced. Other that that, I think you're good to go.
    Peace,
    Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
    (But you can call me Joe)

    Comment


    • #3
      Probably no damage other than a mess if the vent tube is still connected to the back of the intake filter box. Inspect the intake filter and clean or replace. A good lesson learned.....change all fluids immediately when buying a used bike. You should change the transfer case oil and brake fluid also. Maybe even the tire air

      “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

      Comment


      • Mark_N
        Mark_N commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, bought the bike on Thursday and as soon as I could (Saturday), I changed the oil and filter, gear oil, cleaned/recharged the air filter with K&N kit (it was super gunked up). Also tried to Red LocTite the front pulley nut but that baby isn't moving.

      • Mark_N
        Mark_N commented
        Editing a comment
        Brake fluid is next. If only someone hadn't stolen my Mityvac pump right out of my garage last summer!

    • #4
      Just reading the title of this thread made my bike leak.....definitely check all the other possible fluids for more signs of a stupid owner.






      "There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."
      Chris, 2004 Roadstar Silverado

      Comment


      • #5
        This happen easily. When someone gets one of these bikes and is not aware of the correct procedure of checking the oil level. Almost did it myself. If not for the difficulty in removing the seat, which forced me to find this site, where I learned the proper way before I tried it, I would have most likely overfilled mine. After riding "other brands", it's hard just changing oil and forgetting about it. But as long as you have no visible leaks, that's the thing to do. You could check it 5 times and get 5 different readings.




        Comment


        • Mark_N
          Mark_N commented
          Editing a comment
          "Other brands" LOL. I read ya.

        • cyberwolf
          cyberwolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Did that myself when I first got mine. Checked it when just a little warm but had been sitting for quite a while and was shocked to see nothing on the dipstick. Luckily I browsed before adding oil.

      • #6
        Originally posted by Shores View Post
        Probably no damage other than a mess if the vent tube is still connected to the back of the intake filter box. Inspect the intake filter and clean or replace. A good lesson learned.....change all fluids immediately when buying a used bike. You should change the transfer case oil and brake fluid also. Maybe even the tire air
        Yup time to put in summer air, change the blinker fluid and inspect the muffler bearings

        Comment


        • Mark_N
          Mark_N commented
          Editing a comment
          Muffler bearings are shot, for sure. Blinker fluid looks good though.

      • #7
        Originally posted by Tug View Post

        Yup time to put in summer air, change the blinker fluid and inspect the muffler bearings
        Muffler bearings require high temperature grease and so does the wobble plate.

        Comment


        • Tug
          Tug commented
          Editing a comment
          Well there's part of your problem. you need an ANTI wobble plate.

      • #8
        Originally posted by Mark_N View Post
        Changed my oil on Saturday after a nice ride to heat her up and I ended up draining 5 1/2 quarts of oil out of her ! What in the world? I would think we all usually do 4 and no more, although the manual suggests 4.33. Should I be concerned about how much the previous owner had in there?
        getting ready to replace my stator and that means I'll be draining the oil. What oil did you use? Book reads SAE 20W40. I see some are using SAE 20W50. I'm having a hard time finding 20W40. Is it okay to use 20W50 synthetic?

        Comment


        • #9
          Originally posted by Al Jones View Post

          getting ready to replace my stator and that means I'll be draining the oil. What oil did you use? Book reads SAE 20W40. I see some are using SAE 20W50. I'm having a hard time finding 20W40. Is it okay to use 20W50 synthetic?
          Yamaha dealer likely has 20-40. Most here use just 4 qts of 10-40 or 20-50 Mobile 1 or Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil. You must read this entire thread below.

          https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...s-should-check

          “The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

          Comment


          • #10
            Originally posted by highvoltage View Post

            Muffler bearings require high temperature grease and so does the wobble plate.
            This is what I found the last time I checked my muffler bearings. They were dry as a bone. Had I caught it in time I could have just re-packed them but this one needed to be replaced. Use OEM only not the cheap Ebay knock off bearings.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	muffler bearing post.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.6 KB ID:	28467

            Comment


            • #11
              Originally posted by Al Jones View Post

              getting ready to replace my stator and that means I'll be draining the oil. What oil did you use? Book reads SAE 20W40. I see some are using SAE 20W50. I'm having a hard time finding 20W40. Is it okay to use 20W50 synthetic?
              Originally posted by Shores View Post

              Yamaha dealer likely has 20-40. Most here use just 4 qts of 10-40 or 20-50 Mobile 1 or Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil. You must read this entire thread below.

              https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...s-should-check
              Definitely read the link Shores posted, but the short answer is, make sure it's Mobil 1 **Motorcycle** Oil... NOT regular Mobil 1. [Yes it matters very much.] And no, it doesn't matter if it's 20w40 Yamalube or 20w50 Mobil 1 V-Twin. You can also run Mobil 1 10w40 4T Motorcycle oil if you live in a cold climate or for the winter if you like. Also make sure your idle is set high enough, a lot of people turn it way down to get that Harley, "Potato... Potato... Potato.." sound but the oil pump can't move enough oil if the idle is too.

              Comment

              Latest Posts

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Father Pobasturd, 4 days ago
              34 responses
              602 views
              5 likes
              Last Post 129drifter  
              Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM
              2,031 responses
              17,497 views
              3 likes
              Last Post roadiemort  
              Started by Pearl1141, 15 hours ago
              1 response
              37 views
              0 likes
              Last Post Littlebull  
              Started by Tykes_Place, 07-17-2018, 05:10 PM
              25 responses
              329 views
              0 likes
              Last Post Tykes_Place  
              Started by Smokescreens, 1 day ago
              15 responses
              169 views
              0 likes
              Last Post Penguin
              by Penguin
               
              Started by zingpow, 14 hours ago
              1 response
              53 views
              0 likes
              Last Post Deerkiller  
              Started by Duke, 20 hours ago
              6 responses
              88 views
              0 likes
              Last Post jd750ace  
              Started by FDRUCaptain, 04-06-2018, 06:42 PM
              8 responses
              282 views
              0 likes
              Last Post Shores
              by Shores
               
              Started by Smokescreens, 3 days ago
              18 responses
              162 views
              2 likes
              Last Post boomerA
              by boomerA
               
              Started by MikeyC, 6 days ago
              11 responses
              117 views
              0 likes
              Last Post MikeyC
              by MikeyC
               
              Started by Txulrich, 04-24-2018, 12:12 PM
              477 responses
              3,090 views
              0 likes
              Last Post Txulrich  
              Started by DJ_Rodriguez88, 2 days ago
              23 responses
              458 views
              0 likes
              Last Post DJ_Rodriguez88  
              Started by NCB, 3 days ago
              26 responses
              319 views
              0 likes
              Last Post davej
              by davej
               
              Started by AR. Hillbilly, 08-08-2018, 11:47 AM
              77 responses
              916 views
              0 likes
              Last Post RoadieRob  
              Started by Lifeguard, 3 days ago
              11 responses
              192 views
              0 likes
              Last Post TimB
              by TimB
               
              Started by Shash, 1 day ago
              6 responses
              101 views
              0 likes
              Last Post grubsie
              by grubsie
               
              Started by twentyfivemike, 4 days ago
              29 responses
              234 views
              0 likes
              Last Post RonZee
              by RonZee
               
              Started by LJRoadstar, 2 days ago
              3 responses
              89 views
              0 likes
              Last Post BubbaKahuna  
              Started by Pearl1141, 2 days ago
              10 responses
              115 views
              0 likes
              Last Post Txulrich  
              Working...
              X