Brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake fluid

What's everyone's opinion on Valvoline 3-4 brake fluid. Ok to use?

Prestone synthetic dot 4 in many many bikes always good results
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

• brianmac
      brianmac commented
      Editing a comment
      do we have to full drain and clean when using Prestone synthetic dot 4

I used the one I was asking about before, had no problems. I bought some more, the back of the bottle says "contains Dot 4 Fluid" I guess Dot 4 is good in Dot 3 applications, but not the other way around?
    Now, the real question is: My front left brake caliper had started sounding like it is dragging. I removed the calipers, cleaned them till the pistons are shiny, did not remove them from the brake lines. I have flushed and filled with new fluid. When I took off the left side it was dirty but all pistons were working fine. The right side the right front piston was not coming out until the other had been pushed out. after cleaning it was moving fine. Put it all back together and the dam dragging sound is still there. It is for sure on the right side, can hear a little dragging while on the jack. But is louder when I am moving. I can hear it better with no throttle. Any thoughts? Could it be the Rotor? No visible damage to it?

Comment

Front brake pads do drag a tiny bit especially when new. Up on lift turning wheel by hand you will hear a swooshing sound
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

It started making noise so I changed the brake pads. The only ones I had was some Organic ones. Not what I would prefer but had them from a wrong order. The noise is the same with the old one or the new ones? It just started doing it one day. I blew a shit load of dust out of them, then took them off and cleaned them with WD installed new pads and new fluid. I'm out of ideas?

Comment

• MidnightRide
          MidnightRide commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you sure it's the pads you're hearing? Did you pull the calipers off and spin the wheel to see if the noise was still there? I'm just wondering if something else is rubbing since changing the pads caused the same issue. Bad wheel bearing?

After removing the right side caliper the rubbing stops. It is really not that loud when spinning the wheel while on the jack. But does get louder when riding. Is it possible that the caliper has gotten warped? I'm not seeing any grooves in the calipers, just light scratches?

Comment

You could pull the front wheel off and turn it around backwards(for testing purposes only) That will put the left rotor on the right side without actually swapping rotors side to side. Spin the wheel to see if the noise changes to the left side, That will tell you if the issue is in the rotor or caliper. also did you check the lever push adjuster at the lever to see if it needs adjusted or lubed? There should be just a hair gap between the adjuster and the MC plunger. also make sure the plunger is not partially pushed and stuck.

Comment

When I flush out old brake fluid on a new to me bike I suck it all out and spray brake cleaner into MC and then suck that through both calipers and then suck through lots of fresh dot 4 just to clear everything out
            LET'S RIDE

Comment

• Brad_G
              Brad_G commented
              Editing a comment
              So do you pull it all through the bleeder with a vacuum pump of some sort? When I did my fluid and pads I used a turkey baster to suck the reservoir out. Then put in fresh fluid and bled the lines until I had clear new fluid.

I will check the plunger today. Took the caliper back off and moved the pistons in and out while spraying WD, wiped clean. I see no reason why the pistons are not functioning correctly.
            About the front wheel bearings. I lifted the bike and have no movement up or down or side to side from the front wheel. The bike is a 07 with 42K. I have put 38K on it. The bike was never stored outside. How long should wheel bearing last?

Comment

• davej
              davej commented
              Editing a comment
              Wheel bearing should last forever in most cases. Whenever I have a wheel off the bike or any other vehicle I always grease the bearings. You can even grease the "sealed" bearings by simply taking off the plastic grease seal using a small screwdriver or pick. Then pack the bearing and reinstall the plastic cover until it snaps back into place. I usually do this before installing new sealed bearing also. You would be surprised at how little grease comes on some new bearings from the factory. Depending on the brand of bearing I have found some with very little grease in them.

davej wrote: Wheel bearing should last forever in most cases. Whenever I have a wheel off the bike or any other vehicle I always grease the bearings. You can even grease the "sealed" bearings by simply taking off the plastic grease seal using a small screwdriver or pick. Then pack the bearing and reinstall the plastic cover until it snaps back into place. I usually do this before installing new sealed bearing also. You would be surprised at how little grease comes on some new bearings from the factory. Depending on the brand of bearing I have found some with very little grease in them.

I have done this same thing on my 1600 wheel bearings and got blasted on the facebook Roadie page by people saying I had committed a big sin! In my particular case a couple of the new bearings had almost no grease at all in them when I replaced the wheel bearings front and rear. I used regular wheel bearing grease like one would purchase at a auto parts store.

Comment

• davej
              davej commented
              Editing a comment
              I posted a video on the process a couple days ago.

I don't think I would be putting brake clean through my brake lines I don't think it's made for and dont like plastics. If I have a really dirty brake line and master cylinder I will flush them out without hot and soapy water and then let them dry. And if it's that nasty I'm pulling the calipers apart too for cleaning and inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
              I don't think I would be putting brake clean through my brake lines I don't think it's made for and dont like plastics. If I have a really dirty brake line and master cylinder I will flush them out without hot and soapy water and then let them dry. And if it's that nasty I'm pulling the calipers apart too for cleaning and inspection.
              Can't let it set....spray in mastercylinder to about fill it and suck it through both caliper bleeder quickly and follow with a full MC full of brake fluid then top off and suck some more.
              LET'S RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by NCB View Post
                What's everyone's opinion on Valvoline 3-4 brake fluid. Ok to use?
                I used Vavoline in mine. Maybe caliper needs rebuilt? Had to rebuild mine on mine. The other caliper is starting to act up now. I think you mentioned using WD as un WD-40? Becareful that stuff will eat rubber cause it's a penatrent not a straight oil

Comment

I'm ordering a caliper seal kit. One piston will move if I push on it with my hand and come back out with the fluid, but is the last one to move. Also looks like it is seeping fluid. Hopefully when I replace the seals everything will be good? It has not effected the braking at all. Just a dragging noise that can be heard when letting off the throttle. no grooves in the rotors. I guess the one piston is staying out and causing the pad to stay in contact with the rotor? Where's the best place to buy the seal kit. Are aftermarket ones has good as OEM parts?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by TheDaveySprocket, 08-11-2021, 07:22 AM
                  13 responses
                  2 likes
                  Last Post TheDaveySprocket  
                  Started by Boots, 1 day ago
                  12 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post davej