Clutch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch adjustment

I'm trying to set my clutch so it in-gauges sooner when letting out the clutch. What adjustment do I use for this? Thanks

Originally posted by NCB View Post
    I'm trying to set my clutch so it in-gauges sooner when letting out the clutch. What adjustment do I use for this? Thanks
    Screw the adjuster at the clutch leveler into the lever slightly. The rule of thumb is that once adjusted you should have about a nickel thickness in the
    slot between the lever and the perch when the engine is hot.

Comment

What Shores said, and if you don't have enough play in the cable to make adjustments at the lever, there's another adjustment point mid-way down the cable where it's attached to the frame. But I wouldn't mess with that unless it's necessary.

Comment

Go too far tho and the clutch will start to drag making neutral a bitch to find.

Comment

I think the adjustment that you are talking about takes both adjustments at the lever and in the middle cable adjuster. I don't remember what one needs to be adjusted what way but it takes adjusting both adjusters to achieve what you want to do, you will just have to play with it. When done with getting it to engage where you want it to make sure that the lever free play is as said above.

Comment

Comment

So you can't make the clutch engage earlier without having more free play? I was trying to just move the point that it engages. without having slop in the lever. Thanks Mort for the pic of instructions, but it still does not reference the point of engagement.

Comment

“So you can't make the clutch engage earlier without having more free play?”

Not without redesigning the fulcrum points of each end of the cable at the handle and down at the clutch cover. You’d loose the mechanical advantage overriding the spring in the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. It’d be a hand workout if you did.

Comment

Yea, messing around with the adjusters I have found that it will cause slipping or hard to get into gear situations. I've got it back to where it was. Someone somewhere said it could be done. Just had to try it. Had a case of tinkeritis!

Comment

• DEEPHATE
                    DEEPHATE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's contagious!

Originally posted by NCB View Post
                  Yea, messing around with the adjusters I have found that it will cause slipping or hard to get into gear situations. I've got it back to where it was. Someone somewhere said it could be done. Just had to try it. Had a case of tinkeritis!
                  I adjusted mine in both places and there is no problems getting it in gear or out of gear or slipping of any sort. If you have it adjusted to disengage the clutch at the full release side of the lever it could cause slipping at a very slight movement of the lever. I have mine adjusted so that it starts to engaged close to the grip. That is what the adjusters are for.

Comment

The looser the cable, the sooner the clutch will engage. If it's too loose, the clutch will not completely disengage when you pull the lever in and you'll have a hard time shifting gears. If it's too tight, the clutch will not fully engage, and you'll constantly be slipping the clutch. There's an obvious sweet spot in between with a fairly decent amount of range.

If the cable is too hard to pull, no matter how it's adjusted, the cable could be ready to snap. Disconnect the cable at the lever and inspect the barrel end for broken strands or binding. If the cable cover is black, it's stock and should have a Teflon sleeve on the barrel. If it' silver/stainless steel, there will be no sleeve and this can cause the barrel to bind, so it may need some grease. If the barrel end is good, not binding, but it's still too tight, the cable could have become corroded and is binding inside the cable housing, in which case you should squirt some lubricant inside the cable housing and work it back and forth.

If the clutch cover has ever been removed, i.e. to replace the clutch or spring, when it was reassembled it's possible the clutch lever on top of the case is on the wrong spline, this can make adjustment difficult as well.

If everything checks out, and you're still having a difficult time, try in one of these:

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post

I adjusted mine in both places and there is no problems getting it in gear or out of gear or slipping of any sort. If you have it adjusted to disengage the clutch at the full release side of the lever it could cause slipping at a very slight movement of the lever. I have mine adjusted so that it starts to engaged close to the grip. That is what the adjusters are for.
                      Dave, I'm going to take mine off and re-install, where should the lower middle and upper middle adjusters be when installing as if it was a new cable?

Comment

To be honest I don't remember what way It had to be adjusted.. I think I increased the free play at the lever and then adjusted it back in the middle of the cable. If that is the wrong direction that you want then increase the free play in the middle and then take it back up at the lever. Sorry I just don't remember what way for the results I wanted.

Comment

You guys are thinking too hard! Any cable adjustment is merely a matter of shortening or lengthening the outer portion of the cable over the inner cable. It doesn’t matter where you adjust the outer cable. You can adjust at the lever or in the middle as long as you are able to lengthen or shorten it with the provided threads. The inner cable is a constant length and is either made loose or taut by the length of the outer cable.

Comment

• Bikerron
                            Bikerron commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’m with you on that statement.

The midship adjuster’s there to get you in the ballpark.

Seems you only get about a half turn either way at the perch adjustment before it’s either dragging or slipping.

Just make your adjustments at the lever. If you don't have enough cable, or there's too much excess cable,*then* adjust at the mid point. Otherwise, leave the mid cable adjuster be.

Comment

Mine is adjusted to where the friction zone is about 3/4 in to 1 in off the grip. My free play is not excessive either. Got it there by making adjustments on both adjusters.

Comment

I just can't seem to get the point of engagement to move much. I'm going to remove the cable and put all adjusters to the middle of there adjustment range and go from there?

Comment

Are you trying to find a ‘sweet spot’ in the adjustment to compensate for small hands/short fingers?

If so, all the cable adjustments won’t get you there.

It is inherent in the lever design for mechanical advantage for ease of operation, but moves the clutch only so far.

Comment

The vstar 650 had that problem where if you wanted to get the clutch to grab sooner you'd end up with slop in the lever, a kit was made to fix the problem, so far i haven't seen one made for a roadstar, anyway i adjusted mine so when it returns there's a tiny bit of slop and the lever grabs mid point

Comment

Originally posted by Pauli466 View Post
                                    The vstar 650 had that problem where if you wanted to get the clutch to grab sooner you'd end up with slop in the lever, a kit was made to fix the problem, so far i haven't seen one made for a roadstar, anyway i adjusted mine so when it returns there's a tiny bit of slop and the lever grabs mid point
                                    That is called the Cleaver Lever. I had one on my 650. Not available for the Roadstar. The adjustment on the Roadstar is only for the length of travel. Too loose and the clutch won’t disengage, too tight and the clutch may slip. You can’t change the geometry.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by EnergyGuy, 29 minutes ago
                                  0 responses
                                  1 view
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post EnergyGuy  
                                  Started by Rick Fortner, 16 hours ago
                                  4 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post davej
                                  by davej

Started by Hank1988, 16 hours ago
                                  11 responses
                                  1 like
                                  Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                                  Started by Sharpman66, 15 hours ago
                                  5 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Shores
                                  by Shores

Started by Jclevesque, 2 days ago
                                  12 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post jd750ace  
                                  Started by BrokenWheel, 2 weeks ago
                                  6 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post jd750ace  
                                  Started by Sharpman66, 1 week ago
                                  14 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Tropicalrs  
                                  Started by EnergyGuy, 1 day ago
                                  2 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post EnergyGuy  
                                  Started by grubsie, 1 day ago
                                  7 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post BubbaKahuna  
                                  Started by Lug Nut, 16 hours ago
                                  0 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Lug Nut
                                  by Lug Nut

Started by JBones, 1 day ago
                                  10 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                                  Started by LDofDC, 4 weeks ago
                                  76 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post LDofDC
                                  by LDofDC

Started by Hank1988, 2 days ago
                                  11 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Hank1988  
                                  Started by Jaybo, 5 days ago
                                  21 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Blackbeard  
                                  Started by AR. Hillbilly, 02-01-2020, 11:31 AM
                                  168 responses
                                  2 likes
                                  Last Post Brad_G
                                  by Brad_G

Started by Lifeguard, 3 days ago
                                  9 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Lifeguard  
                                  Started by Lug Nut, 5 days ago
                                  20 responses
                                  1 like
                                  Last Post Lug Nut