Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackcloud12
    replied
    I think you're right; I think the 20-40 got discontinued and they are doing a 20-50 now. There is also the 10-50 semi-syn. Interesting point on the ever decreasing zinc levels and it's interaction with the cats- makes me wonder what the higher zinc oils are doing to the exhaust system LOL. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new exhaust.........

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackcloud12
    "I don't recall a R* specific oil- I worked at a Yamaha dealership from 2001-2004; we only ever used the 20-50 standard Yamalube oil."
    The factory service guide calls for "Yamalube 4 (20W40) or SAE 20W40 type SE motor oil"

To the best of my knowledge, Yamalube no longer offers 20W40 for motorcycles, only a Marine version which is a different formulation.

*The thing to note is, the "SE" bit. If you look it up, every site you find will say, API Category SE: "Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1979." The reason being, when unleaded gasoline came on the scene, wear inhibitors were added to the oil. This is because lead in gasoline, in addition to boosting octane levels, also coated engine internals to act as a sacrificial wear layer and preserve the engine. When the lead was taken out of the gas, that sacrificial layer was replaced by adding zinc dialkyldithiophosphate [or ZDDP] to the oil. This was fine, until catalytic converters were introducted in the mid 70s, and it was later discovered the zinc was prematurely killing the expensive cats. So in 1980, the amounts of zinc and phosphorus was reduced. Over the years, with each consecutive new spec, the ZDDP levels were reduced more and more, due to emissions and environmental reasons, until reaching current standard levels, which are too low for the R*'s flat tappet cams. Here's a good article explaining flat tappet cams and the need for ZDDP in more detail: https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/engin...older-engines/

*It's been a while, if someone knows better and I got any of that wrong. please do chime in and correct me.

Leave a comment:

• MrG
    replied
    I think it's a sign that I am supposed to get new pipes. Thing is, I only thought they were expensive for my Vulcan before I got this R*

Leave a comment:

• Blackcloud12
    commented on 's reply
    I don't recall a R* specific oil- I worked at a Yamaha dealership from 2001-2004; we only ever used the 20-50 standard Yamalube oil.

• DEEPHATE
    commented on 's reply
    Me too, I haven't done it yet.

• MrG
    replied
    Glad we got that all cleared up.... Now, about the transfer case...
    I'm just kidding, I'm pretty sure that it was Shores that gave me a good rundown on that awhile ago. My biggest problem there is that I have to take the exhaust off to get to the fill and check plugs

Leave a comment:

• YZ18
    commented on 's reply
    I always used Yamalube and never had any issues. I may look into changing oil for my next oil change.

• MrG
    replied
    I guess an important thing to remember is that the best oil is going to be the oil that gets changed regularly

Leave a comment:

• Brad_G
    commented on 's reply
    As EPA and other regulations change, manufacturers will alter their formulas. Just some old information is all. So it's good to ask questions.

• MrG
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEPHATE View Post
    From Maxima: Good Morning David,

Our V-Twin Mineral and V-Twin Full Syn both contain 1350ppm ZDDP.

If your engine build requires more, consider our Extra 15w-50. Maxima’s “Extra” line of synthetic engine oils contain 2000ppm ZDDP.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for choosing Maxima,

Paul Hawley
    So the internet has led me a stray once again... Hanging my head in desolation.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPHATE
    replied
    From Maxima: Good Morning David,

Our V-Twin Mineral and V-Twin Full Syn both contain 1350ppm ZDDP.

If your engine build requires more, consider our Extra 15w-50. Maxima’s “Extra” line of synthetic engine oils contain 2000ppm ZDDP.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for choosing Maxima,

Paul Hawley

Leave a comment:

• DEEPHATE
    commented on 's reply
    Ok, will do. I have enough for two or three more changes or I wouldn't have asked.

• Lug Nut
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEPHATE View Post
    How about 1058 ppm zinc? I have been using Lucas High Perf Motorcycle (not the synthetic) oil for 15 years. No good?
    Not enough zddp... Buy some Lucas zddp treatment and put 2 OZ in each oil change

Leave a comment:

• Brad_G
    commented on 's reply
    I think someone (DocV?) found something for our bikes and 1300 ppm sticks in my mind as the ideal number. You could always get some zinc additive for peace of mind. That's what I do. I've been using Quicksilver V-Twin 20-50 full synthetic.

• DEEPHATE
    replied
    How about 1058 ppm zinc? I have been using Lucas High Perf Motorcycle (not the synthetic) oil for 15 years. No good?

Leave a comment:

• MrG
    replied
    Won't let me make a link. It's an old article dated February 24, 2009

Leave a comment:

• Bikerron
    commented on 's reply
    “ Did some more digging and according to an article in cycle world, the maxima motorcycle oil has the highest zddp content available at approximately 2000 ppm.”
    Link?

• Doc_V
    commented on 's reply
    Yamalube used to make a oil specifically for the R*, but they no longer do, so I'd steer clear of Yamalube.

• MrG
    replied
    Did some more digging and according to an article in cycle world, the maxima motorcycle oil has the highest zddp content available at approximately 2000 ppm. Yamalube had the lowest at around 1300

Leave a comment:

• Lug Nut
    replied
    Unless it's proven or you know the zddp level and no friction modifiers.... Just stick to the oils that we know historically work well. For synthetic I have personally used Amsoil V Twin, Mobil 1 V Twin, Castrol V Twin, and Rotella T6. On my touring bike that goes on long trips I use Amsoil for the best protection and resists breakdown a little better than the others (arguably the best oil for our engines period). Cost me $45 for a gallon with tax local. I have been using Rotella T6 in my other 2 Road Stars and Vstar since they don't get over 3k miles during a year and it's more than enough protection and I change oil every year regardless. Cost me $22 at Walmart. Always use NAPA Platinum oil filter (Rebranded WIX Pro which is the very best filter as well)... Get these on sale through NAPA twice a year for $6.50 each. I also use Lucas zddp as an additive with my oil changes (just 2oz to mitigate natural loss of zddp over course of life of oil).

If your try to get much cheaper than $29 for oil and filter using T6 and NAPA Platinum filter your likely going to sacrifice quality. You could use Rotella T6 and be very safe changing at 3k or 4k miles IMHO.

Of course there are plenty of ols Yamaha with 100k, 200k etc miles on them that have only used yamalube (semisyn) so it may not really matter all that much.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by roadiemort, 08-22-2020, 04:09 AM
277 responses
1 like
Last Post roadiemort  
Started by brianmac, 1 week ago
63 responses
0 likes
Last Post brianmac