Only one throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only one throttle cable

I have heard that some are running with only one throttle cable? How does that work, what are the pro's and con's?

I removed the 2nd throttle cable from my vstar 650 because they didn't fit well on the aftermarket grips I got ...no ill effects. The return cable just is a kind of extra safety. Both my Road Stars have both cables.
    "I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't chew Big Red.....then Fuck You"

Comment

When I aped out my roadstar I did the single cable and I was skeptical also. it is true you don't need it if your throttle goes out of control just hit the kill switch I did it on two bikes one being a honda

Comment

Mine has been running one cable for five years now. The dual cable is just some EPA bullshit. Motorcycles were built for 90 years with one throttle cable, so there you go.

Comment

The 2 cable system is a push/pull deal. The push cable is to ensure that the throttle never sticks open, and you sue and come to own Yamaha. You simply remove the push cable entirely, and go to Lowe's or Home depot for what is called a plumber's plug, a push-in plastic hole cover, to plug the small hole in the throttle grip case where the push cable exited. I've done it to all 3 of my R*s and it just cleans up the whole bike just a little bit better... Like they were YEARS ago!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Questcap View Post
            The 2 cable system is a push/pull deal. The push cable is to ensure that the throttle never sticks open, and you sue and come to own Yamaha. You simply remove the push cable entirely, and go to Lowe's or Home depot for what is called a plumber's plug, a push-in plastic hole cover, to plug the small hole in the throttle grip case where the push cable exited. I've done it to all 3 of my R*s and it just cleans up the whole bike just a little bit better... Like they were YEARS ago!!!
            Do you manually have to turn the throttle back in after removing the other cable. I would guess that after removing the push cable it will not return on its own?

Comment

• Questcap
              Questcap commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, no, absolutely not... the return spring on the carb returns the throttle... The push cable is simply 'insurance'.

No nit returns on its own fine on my vstar 640...the spring aperture on the carb throttle plate is what controls the movement
            "I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't chew Big Red.....then Fuck You"

Comment

Well, you heard the ‘pros’, I think. I don’t know what the EPA would have to do with running two cables, tho. It’s a safety feature.

I haven’t a clue as to why they call it a push/pull setup. Cables don’t push. Pull/pull would be more descriptive. The primary cable pulls against a throttle return spring and opens the throttle. The other cable just goes through the motions, until.....

Should the primary cable become worn/frayed to the point it overcomes the return spring’s ability to close the throttle and it sticks in the housing, the other cable is there to ‘pull’ the throttle to a closed position.

With a one cable setup your natural reaction would be to twist it a little harder to close it. In a critical situation you’d be eating up precious real estate. Someone mentioned using the kill switch. Better keep that in the back of your mind the first time you suddenly realize you’re still accelerating toward a fixed object (Murphy’s law) that just appeared and shutting down the throttle didn’t work.

You may ride another 50 years and never have a problem.

My backup, second cable did save my ass when my throttle hung (another bike) and had I not had the ‘pull it close’ cable on board, I don’t think resorting to plan B and remembering the kill switch would have left me enough to stop safely. Pulling in the clutch would have also worked, only to listen to the bike endlessly bump the rev limiter and gaining more attention.

So, there’s my con. Mine is still on my bike. It’s not hurting anything. Just good peace of mind.

Comment

• Spydr
                Spydr commented
                Editing a comment
                @ Ironman... It's amazing we've survived to the age we are, isn't it?

• Father Pobasturd
                Father Pobasturd commented
                Editing a comment
                My bad, it's not the EPA...It's NHSTA, or one of those other Federal busy body agencies.

• Bikerron
                Bikerron commented
                Editing a comment
                There aren’t bored folks sitting around a table just thinking it would be cool to add another cable. Most likely, there were enough instances where poor cable maintenance caused enough serious accidents from stuck throttles that something had to be done. Just look at the legal ramifications alone.
                Safety features have become the norm on anything you buy today, but there are still the ones that insist that they don’t need it.

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

I remove mine for one reason only... and, it's totally for vain cosmetics. I've ridden for more than 50 years, and my earlier bikes never had one, and I like clean simplicity... That's all there is to it with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerron View Post
                  Well, you heard the ‘pros’, I think. I don’t know what the EPA would have to do with running two cables, tho. It’s a safety feature.

I haven’t a clue as to why they call it a push/pull setup. Cables don’t push. Pull/pull would be more descriptive. The primary cable pulls against a throttle return spring and opens the throttle. The other cable just goes through the motions, until.....

Should the primary cable become worn/frayed to the point it overcomes the return spring’s ability to close the throttle and it sticks in the housing, the other cable is there to ‘pull’ the throttle to a closed position.

With a one cable setup your natural reaction would be to twist it a little harder to close it. In a critical situation you’d be eating up precious real estate. Someone mentioned using the kill switch. Better keep that in the back of your mind the first time you suddenly realize you’re still accelerating toward a fixed object that just appeared and shutting down the throttle didn’t work.

You may ride another 50 years and never have a problem.

My backup, second cable did save my ass when my throttle hung (another bike) and had I not had the ‘pull it close’ cable on board, I don’t think resorting to plan B and remembering the kill switch would have left me enough to stop safely. Pulling in the clutch would have also worked, only to listen to the bike endlessly bump the rev limiter and gaining more attention.

So, there’s my con. Mine is still on my bike. It’s not hurting anything. Just good peace of mind.
                  I had the throttle stick on my old RD400 and hitting the kill switch did not kill the engine, fortunately i wasn't riding it at the time just revving it up while on the kickstand. I don't know what kind of ignition system it had but the only way i got it to stop was to rap on the carbs with a screwdriver and if finally died down. I'm assuming modern bikes like ours the kill switch would work but like you, when in a panic situation will you remember or will you be quick enough? Call me Mr. safety but to each his own...
                  2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                    Father Pobasturd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If a 2-stroke gets hot enough, it will run with no spark, like a diesel.

• D-Fresh
                    D-Fresh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't know that about 2 strokes but that is what it acted like.

This is what the old timers I ride with recomended. I have apes on my bike and the return cable is run to the grip but not connected. I like to go for really long rides far from home and if my cable ever breaks on the road I hope to install the return cable to the grip (2 minute job), and limp home by twisting the throttle the other direction.

Comment

Originally posted by daveto View Post
                    This is what the old timers I ride with recomended. I have apes on my bike and the return cable is run to the grip but not connected. I like to go for really long rides far from home and if my cable ever breaks on the road I hope to install the return cable to the grip (2 minute job), and limp home by twisting the throttle the other direction.
                    Funny Dave! Thinking about going with a 2 into 1 pipe. I have BAK and Cobra longs with baffles installed. 40 pilot jet and 172.5 main. Will I have to re-jet if I go with the 2 into 1?

Comment

No you won't have to rejet. Maybe a tweak of the PMS at the most but doubt if that will even be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
                        No you won't have to rejet. Maybe a tweak of the PMS at the most but doubt if that will even be needed.
                        Thanks

Comment

I bought a new set of stock length cables and the "push" cable wasn't long enough for my handle bar set up which is nothing elaborate at all. I'm running the stock bar with 3" up and 4" back risers. I'm thinking they are Motion Pro brand cables. Needless to say I didn't use the "push" cable. Theoretically speaking it's not needed as the carb has a strong return spring. As noted by Bikerron cables don't "push" especially in the case of the <1/8" diameter of these cables. I haven't had any issues whatsoever, although I do lube the throttle cable and the clutch cable at the beginning of the season and after any riding in rain. I do however carry the old stock pull cable with me as a spare - just in case.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Herrindude, 4 hours ago
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post davej
                          by davej

Started by Doc_V, 1 day ago
                          9 responses
                          0 likes