Confused on jetting (99 1600)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused on jetting (99 1600)

I think I am to lean on WOT bike cuts out pretty bad. so some tweaking is in order. I have Vance and Hines(w/o) baffles, a hypercharger, and 195 main 57.5 pilot and the valve assembly says 2.0?(is that the right size for going pumpless from what I have read it is supposed to be 2.5 and barons needle 4th groove down with plastic washer and 1 shim underneath and one on top like factory.

Anyway I have checked all of RSC, Barons, and kuryakyn (hypercharger) and have found each is different. Here on RSC have seen 170 main and 37.5 pilot. Barons says 172.5 and nothing on pilot and Kury says 205 main and nothing on pilot.
    Have also seen the pilot air bleed screw gets changed to a 1.5 I have checked mine and see no markings and have not been able to find a place to buy that.

Could anyone recommend which main, pilot, valve assembly, + pilot bleed to go with for the 99 R* 1600 no baffle V&H, no fuel pump, and hypercharger. Thanks.

The difference in the jetting is due to your hypercharger and the diameter of the needle that comes in the hypercharger kit along with the way the jet kit manufacturer measures the amount of fuel flow thru their jets and then numbers them. The hyper charger jetting also changes the air jet in the mouth of the carb to a smaller one. You are correct that the barons kit does not change the pilot jet and you have seen recommendations here at the RSC that says change it to a 37.5 for a 1600 and a 40 on a 1700. That recommendation comes from my personal extensive testing with different jetting configurations,air filters and exhaust. My testing was also with using either a dyno or an on board real time AFR meter to see real afr numbers to come to this conclusion on jetting. Members started using these jetting configurations and agreed that it took care of some off idle and acceleration stumble issues that were still present when using the Barons and Dynajet recommended jetting.
    My suggestion to you would be to use whatever jetting recommendation come with your Hypercharger and also make sure you use their brand jets. Or get rid of the hypercharger like most do and get a K/N universal air filter and a Barons kit then start over. Some have also disconnected the flaps and leave them open all the time so you get the HC look without the HC jetting problems. Then they can use a barons kit and use somewhat of the standard jetting as everyone else here uses.

Also for anyone else reading this that is using a Dtnojet kit. Your dynojet kit comes with a pilot jet change to a Dynojet brand 37.5 pilot jet. I spoke with Tech support at Dynojet and they confirmed that their 37.5 pilot jet flows the same amount of fuel as the OEM #35 Mikuni. The reason it is in the kit is to change all the jets to their brand and you don't have a mixture of jet brands in the carb. So when you installed the Dynojet #37.5 pilot you didn't change the jetting in the pilot circuit at all, you just physically changed the jet to another that is actually the same size but uses Dynojets numbering. The Mikuni 37.5 will work better for you as it does when using the Barons kit.

Comment

You are right I was referring to your recommendations which I am sure is the best suggestion I can get trust the advice from all the people here that actually has time on this machine. So for the 1600 the jetting I have is way off I am not sure how it even runs as well as it does have a stumble on quick throttle and cut out at wot otherwise it runs decent. I will take your advice and disable the flaps on the hypercharger so the 99 w/o hypercharger is? I am not sure what brand jets I have but fairly certain the needle is from barons what should I do about the pilot, main and finally what about the needle valve assembly again I have no fuel pump and which brand?

Comment

go with the Yamaha grizzly 660 for the needle valve. Just buy the rebuild kit on amazon for the grizzly 660. take the needle valve and seat out of the kit, and you can even take the gasket for the float bowl as it is the same size. toss the rest. Go to jetsrus.com and get Mkuni genuine parts for the pilot and even the main if you want to get to the recommended settings. It is all really inexpensive. I just did it all, based on the information on this site. Surf around the tech articles and you will find the answers to all your questions. good luck.

Comment

My guess is that your needle is not a Barons. I think it may be something like a 6Sigma needle. The air jet in the mouth of the carb will also need to be checked for the proper size and will likely need to be changed. As said above use the float valve for a grizzley 660.

Comment

What about the main and original pilot size with jets from jetsrus I have scoured this site and the original but nothing for a 99 that is why I was confused. I have searched for the 1.5 pilot air bleed and cannot come up with anything.

Comment

170 for main, grizzly 660 float valve, I know the air jet is a 1.5 but cannot find it and the pilot what should I do with since barons and kury do not recommend changing?

i did check the jets and they look to be mikuni they are marked with a square.

Comment

Comment

mikuni jets have a dbl square symbol on it. You can buy them at Jets R Us. The pilot air jet can be purchased at the yamaha dealership.

This one is under the black dia cap
                  . Pilot Jet, Air (2.0)
                  239-14172-20-00

This one is in the mouth of the carb

Jet,Pilot Air (#100)
                  1HX-14231-20-00

Comment

The 2.0 pilot air jet they are saying to change to a 1.5 is under the diaphragm at the top of the carb. I wouldn't change that unless you want to make the pilot circuit really rich even with the stock 35 pilot jet. Anyway on a '99 it has been in there so long you probably wouldn't be able to remove it anyway.
                    Scott B.

Comment

Scott do they also change the one in the mouth of the carb with a HC? Also do you know what brand needle comes with the HC? Is it a Sigma or do they make their own? I guess regardless of wjat brand they use it would need to be changed to a Barons to use the mikuni jets and jetting recommendations that used by members here.

Comment

Not as far as I know. The one in the mouth of the carb is nowhere near 2 mm. I don't know what brand needle they use. I always stick with the Mikuni brand. If I was going to change the needle I would go with the Barons kit.
                        Scott B.

Comment

Ok so went to local motorcycle shop over an hour away, was able to get a 37.5 pilot and 170 main which they had in stock and I ordered the grizzly valve. Checked the pilot air bleed screw it looks like it says 2.0. Put everything back together and it took away a lot of the vibrations that I was having not quite sure how but it did. I am able to start it with choke now I’m the cold and starts fairly easy(a lot easier than it was.) bike still cuts out a 3/4 to WOT and I think that is because I am running out of fuel since I haven’t changed the valve yet. I’m about 3.5 turns out on PMS and I did adjust my float level. Haven’t been able to take it on a far ride just a 15 minute but when I came to the first stop sign a huge cloud of white smoke was coming out of exhaust, seemed to clear up but will check tomorrow. I would like to hook it to a air fuel ratio meter. I have no backfires now and did not have them before.

Comment

I wouldn't mess with it much more until you after you install the Grizzly valve.

Comment

I think I would run that mixture screw in to about 2 turns out, at the least. It’s way too far out to be correct on a 1600 with a 37.5 pilot.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

I did, I ended up about 1 3/4 out runs runs better than ever. Just got my valve assembly today, but also got my clutch with bad results. See new post.

Comment

davej Got the new valve seat and needl put on as well as spark plugs, clutch, changed the gear and engine oil took out the flaps to the hypercharger so it stays open all the time. The bike never “ran out” of gas. I did however have smoke out exhaust when taking off after idling and when the throttle opens from a close, like barely turned not even an 1/8 of a turn more like a centimeter turn I can feel it “cough” or sputter

I am thinking well my best guess is a hen the PO re-jetted, the pilot circuit was way to rich so he adjusted the accelerator pump to be lean. I also had a lot of pressure in my crankcase I noticed my crankcase breather was kinked. Fixed that and No longer have pressure.Took advice from

Comment

So did you adjust the accelerator pump? It should start squirting as soon as you start to twist the throttle and continue to squirt thru about 1/2 way thru the throttle twist.

Comment

No I did not adjust. I am thinking the PO did. Have never adjusted one before so looking for a how to. Does that sound like what it could be?

Comment

Look into the throat of the carb, Turn the throttle and watch how soon fuel starts to squirt from the little brass tube. It should start right away and continue to squirt thru about 1/2 way thru throttle travel. It is a very easy check before you too concerned with how to make changes.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                        Started by NCB, 3 weeks ago
                                        23 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post NCB
                                        by NCB

Started by Pauli466, 14 hours ago
                                        6 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post NCB
                                        by NCB

Started by Kenkaman, 2 days ago
                                        12 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Questcap  
                                        Started by bencadenbach, 18 hours ago
                                        4 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post davej
                                        by davej

Started by Vicious, 10 hours ago
                                        4 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post DikW
                                        by DikW

Started by JoeBloShmo, 11 hours ago
                                        2 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                                        Started by brianmac, 23 hours ago
                                        13 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                                        Started by Father Pobasturd, 1 day ago
                                        5 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post YZ18
                                        by YZ18

Started by Pauli466, 1 week ago
                                        29 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post DikW
                                        by DikW

Started by Parhamj, 18 hours ago
                                        3 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post 07 silverado  
                                        Started by bencadenbach, 18 hours ago
                                        1 response
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post bencadenbach  
                                        Started by thunderace4, 10-19-2019, 12:34 PM
                                        19 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post bencadenbach  
                                        Started by Parhamj, 1 day ago
                                        2 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Parhamj
                                        by Parhamj

Started by GNR10, 2 days ago
                                        3 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Bikerron