Re-Jetted and still Runing Rich???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Jetted and still Runing Rich???

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Forum. I have a problem with my 2003 Road Star Silverado1600. I have re-jetted with the Barron's Big Air Kit, to 167.5 main with 37.5. The needle set on 4th groove. I also have V&H two into one pipes and a Dynatek 3000 set to 32A curve. I only run 92 octane through the engine. The float bowl is set to 5mm from the top portion of the carb and I believe it's not sticking. I cleaned up the carb in the spring with not issues. I installed a new choke and made sure it was seated in the carb. I played with the PMS adjuster and dialed it out 3 turns and noticed a little change in the engine. I get one tank of gas until I noticed it starts to fouled up again. Any suggestion??

Have you tried regular fuel?my bike (2003 also) is not high compression so I use regular 87 octane fuel as recomended. My bike hates premium fuel! It will run on it, but difficult to start and runs very poorly on premium

Comment

First of all, your engine is Designed to run on Regular 87 octane gasoline. Running premium is wasting your money AND your engine doesn't Like it.

With all other jetting remaining the same, I suggest you lower the needle clip to the 3rd slot from the blunt end. Add the plastic spacer and either 1 shim (.5 step leaner) or 2 shims (1 full step leaner) Below the clip.

You didn't mention if your needle currently has any shims below the clip. That information could alter my suggestion.

Try that & report back on how it runs.

Comment

• Ron
        Ron commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Spydr, it's set-up with a shim, plastic spacer then clip and another shim to the blunt end. I still need to try this. I haven't been home but on the open road this past week. Looking forward to see if these changes work. I'll get back to you all when I giving it a good run.

• Spydr
        Spydr commented
        Editing a comment
        We'll be here. Let us know what's going on either way.

did the bike ever have a hypercharger on it?

Comment

87 octane only
        PMS could be off...set it with a tach (just did one of my bikes today) and it turned out great...eliminated all backfiring/popping on decel going from 3-2 and 2-1 that it had. I set mine at 2.5 when I put carb on and it wasn't quite perfect.

Comment

• davej
          davej commented
          Editing a comment
          where did you end up at with the PMS setting? How many turns out?

Thanks for the feedback, I bought the bike used a year back. It had a different air intake due to it being a special edition and I know that the previous owners had changed up the jetting setup with unknown aftermarket parts. When I purchased it... It had problems right at the get-go. I should had taken that as my first warning. With that being said, I re-tooled it with everything that I listed in my post. But to answer your question, I don't think he had ever put a hyper charger on the bike even though I was told by many that I should.
        As for the 92 octane it does burn slower and that makes sense...I run it because of the ethanol content in the lower octanes (shitty Canadian gas), Heard its not good for older carbs (Gummes up with residue) But I'll give it a try for sure. Plus I'll remeasure the PMS to make sure it's at the right height and get back to you all. Again Guys.. Thanks for your help.

Comment

turn the pms in 1/2 turn. I would like to see a pic of the plugs if you have one. at least the outside plugs on both front and rear cylinder. Don't need to see all 4 plugs. The reason I asked about the hypercharger is because if it ever had one install there is an airjet in the mouth of the carb that gets changed when they are installed. If it has the smaller air jet it will give you a rich condition.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_12533.jpg Views:	51 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	87713 "The float bowl is set to 5mm from the top portion of the carb "
            If the float was sticking the overflow on the float bowl would be venting the fuel out.

I do not know what you mean by "The float bowl is set to 5mm from the top portion of the carb."

This photo is very clear. It worked for me.

Comment

• Ron
              Ron commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes this was how I measured it when I had it all apart in the spring. Just hoping it's not sticking?

Sorry guy's... I have been trucking down the road this past week, I back home and here's what I just pulled out of engine..... Four new plugs with a crap load of brunt carbon. I also changed the groove setting to the Third. Now with the luck I had tonight, I managed to break the Valve Throttle.... breaking one of the four side pins. This is what happens when your not paying attention.... Now I have to wait and buy a new.... lesson learned I hope.

Comment

• Lucky
              Lucky commented
              Editing a comment
              What is a valve throttle?

you are definatley running rich. If you have a Barons jet kit and a Barons BAK along with aftermarket exhaust then the jetting configuration you had using the 4th groove is correct. Moving the clip to the 3rd groove will lean it out some but will just be masking the real issue.

Comment

• Ron
              Ron commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, I'm hoping with the fuel change as well will fix or help with the problem.

Anytime you buy a motorcycle ALWAYS assume the jetting may be off as well as float level etc.,etc.
            Until you have checked it yourself assume it may be off. Everything.

Someone may have made changes to it based on internet videos.
            The person making the video often does not even know the correct name for the parts of the carb.

Comment

• Ron
              Ron commented
              Editing a comment
              The harness that holds the needle and spring. Part 4SV-14112-00-00 Valve Throttle 1. I know.. I was confused with the name as well.

Thanks Ron!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Kenkaman, 12 hours ago
            11 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post texasscott1  
            Started by Parhamj, 5 hours ago
            1 response
            0 likes