Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMSgt
    replied
    The bottom line of carburetors, for me, is Patrick Racing. They know everything and sell whatever you need. It will bolt on without modification. You can go pumpless if you like just take that puppy off an run a hose straight to the carb. They are a wealth of information. I bought the HSR 42 carb and air cleaner kit. They sent it to me I installed is out of the box and is hasn't missed a beat in 10 years.
    http://shop.patrickracingbillet.com/...ha_Carburetors

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    replied
    I have both, the stock 40mm CV carburetor, and the HSR 42mm carb on 2 different Road Stars. I feel the stock carb is the best carb set up for a basically stock bike and will give you Great performance with good gas mileage. The stock carb is good for 80+ horse power if it is set up right, where the HSR 42 sucks on fuel mileage and does not compensate for different altitudes. Remember you would have to have the TPS mounted to the HSR 42 for the ignition timing to work correctly.
    I feel you should save your money and repair your stock carb. If you want, I could clean and set your carb for your bike at a very fair price. I have repaired and rebuilt hundreds of carburetors thru out my life and enjoy doing them as a hobby. If interested or want information, you could email me at [email protected].
    Duke.

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied
    Can someone from this forum with knowledge on which HSR42 to purchase for my bike please contact me (Ryan) at 480-453-5623. It's really frustrating talking to people that don't or can't help qith any answers. My bike is just sitting and I'd like to get the ball rolling and order what I need. Im struggling to find the right info and would appreciate any and all help here. Model number for HSR42 and throttle cables needed. Already know jet sizes thanks to the fellas here on the forum. All "professional" people I have spoken with make it seem impossible or that I'll need all this other crazy stuff to make it happen. Again, any and all help here would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to spend $400 for nothing. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied
    Is there a specific model of HSR42 I should order. Some say 42-18, 42-6. Once again, pardon my ignorance, just want to order the right thing

Leave a comment:

• SKWEARpeg
    replied
    Originally posted by RClore View Post
    Yes, o-ring and bottom bowl gasket were replaced. That pic was before I got new jets and gaskets. It ran fine for about a day, then started leaking gas rapidly. SSCCracing is website that would sell pre-jetted carb set up for roadstar. Came with choke and fuel filter as well. My dad says fuel filter is necessary as well. Do I need a certain model of 42mm, or is 42mm most important?
    The stock carb is a 40mm. The HSR will be a 42. As long as it's for a Roadstar, it should be fine. Let them know whether its for a 1600 or 1700 motor. The jetting should be slightly different, but not a whole lot.

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied
    Yes, o-ring and bottom bowl gasket were replaced. That pic was before I got new jets and gaskets. It ran fine for about a day, then started leaking gas rapidly. SSCCracing is website that would sell pre-jetted carb set up for roadstar. Came with choke and fuel filter as well. My dad says fuel filter is necessary as well. Do I need a certain model of 42mm, or is 42mm most important?

Leave a comment:

• SKWEARpeg
    replied
    You’re missing the Starter jet also. Stock for your bike is a 57 or 65 Mikuni I can’t remember exactly.
    What size Main jet is that?
    You’ll be fine with stock coils if you switch carbs.
    There is a small oring that sits in a small round depression on the bowl flange that seal that small hole right next to the piece where you say the carb is leaking. Do you still have the oring, or is it missing in action. That’s the feed hole for the accelerator pump. If it’s missing, it’ll leak. There should be two oring seals on the bowl flange. One is shaped like the bowl perimeter.. the other is the small round one.

Leave a comment:

• NCB
    replied
    Sounds like Maxair

Leave a comment:

• Jaybo
    replied
    You do NOT need a Dyna ignition with a HSR42 carb. They are just trying to take your money by selling you something you do not need. The higher flow air filter will help performance but your stock air cleaner will fit. As far as pre-jetting, all they are likely going to do is put a bigger main jet in and that is super easy to do. Curious as to what shop you found?

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied
    Also, if I go with HSR42, do I need a different ignition? Found a place that will pre-jet the carb before sending, but saying I need Hi-flow air filter and Dyna ignition to run carb. Sorry for my ignorance, Im just a tad bit new to wrenching on bikes

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied
    Lower left corner. That rubber stop should be longer, fits onto rod set. Its burnt up, and fuel leaks at a rapid rate from there

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied

Leave a comment:

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    His has fire damage. Should still be repairable.

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    Take a picture of your damaged carb and post it here.

• TimB
    replied
    Nothing wrong with the JUNK stock carb, not a thing

Leave a comment:

• Jaybo
    commented on 's reply
    The stock air filter will likely bolt right up, the other option would be to do a K&N filter - No need at all for your pump, the 42 is meant to run without it. Oh crap and you will need cables. PM TimB from Metric Magic, he has good prices on cables and will give you great service.

• SKWEARpeg
    replied
    Might be somebody here with a cheaper “used” stock carb. I like both of mine, but there are a number of folks who’ve made the jump to hyper speed with the magic HSR carb. One of them may have a spare now.

Leave a comment:

• daveto
    replied
    Maybe someone that has swapped carbs will have replacement bits for your un repairable carb. May be a cheaper option for stock motor. Good luck whatever you do. I just got my bike running again and it was only out of commission for 2 weeks and drove me nuts.

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied
    Used, not new.

Leave a comment:

• RClore
    replied
    Bike was sold to me after the carb had seen some fire damage. There is a black rubber stop that fits onto rod set that was damaged. Can't find just that piece, have to buy whole carb assembly to get it. So gas just pours out. Hsr42 is actually much cheaper to buy new, so I'm just trying to figure out what all I need to make the swap. Im not paying 6-8 hundred dollars for a new carb. Also been unsuccessful in finding a new one

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Ahodge75, 3 hours ago
6 responses
0 likes
Last Post Lug Nut
by Lug Nut

Started by Horsehammerr, 4 hours ago
3 responses
0 likes