Carb Overflowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Overflowing

Hey Guys, I've learn a lot by reading the threads here on Carbs. As soon as I give it the key she starts overflowing through the top right spout, as like everyone else, but mine also starts spewing fuel through the hole next to the air jet on the bottom mouth where it goes into the air cleaner..., is this normal when float isn't seating right, or is it something else? In all the threads, no one has mentioned spewing fuel from there. I am in the process of taking off the carb to change out my main jet from 170 or 175 (running wide open Sampson pipes) to the 167.5 now with the freedom duals. I am also going to check and measure my floats to the 5 to 5.25mm recommendations. any info on the overflowing on that hole by the air jet would be greatly appreciated....

If it starts spewing fuel as soon as you turn the key on then obviously you still have a fuel pump hooked up. Seems like you might have a little piece of crap blocking the needle from closing. I would invest in a new needle and seat and install them when you do your jetting change. Do that before you start bending the float tab, the float level is probably fine. If you think about it, the only way the float cannot be right is if someone got in there and started bending on it, otherwise, how could it be wrong? There's no way it can be wrong unless someone made it wrong. If the bike worked fine before, it will again with a new needle and seat. Are you still running the stock air breather? Is it a 1600 or a 1700? It would be helpful to others if you fill out your User Profile, that way they know what's being dealt with beforehand. You may want to leave your jetting right where it is. Are you gonna run baffles / mufflers with the Freedom Duals? All this matters.

Comment

Father Pobasturd, thanks for the quick response. I'm the original owner. I rejetted it with a Barons jet & needle kit back in 2000. I had installed wide open Sampson pipes she ran sweet. Five years ago, I redid the bike, with paint, bags, fairing and switched to the freedom duals pipes. I never thought of rejetting. She ran okay, but found she ran a little rich. I let her sit for about a year during my transition from Miami to Cape Coral. That's where everything started going down hill. I had to clean out all the gummed out carb from the ethanol. (which I now switched to Rec.90 fuel) Never thinking to re-jet it. Someone asked me if you freedom dual are baffled which they are, you might need to bring the main jet down from a 170 or 175 (can't remember, it's been 18yrs.) to a 167.5 Main jet. Which I think makes sense. This is where I'm at.. when I went to start it, fuel pumped primed and then, overflow mania..... so after reading threads here, some who has a old Roadie like mine has the freedom duals too, he's running a 167.5 Main jet and a 37.5 pilot jet. so I ordered the same things along with a new rebuild kit. so while I wait for the parts to get here on Monday, I'm taking the carb off one more time. Oh, and thanks for reminding me to fill out the my profile...

Comment

If the float’s needle and seat have never been changed in 18 years I’d say you got your money’s worth out of it.

Comment

Update*** Got the carb rebuild kit and changed the float needle seat and replaced my 175 Main Jet to a 167.5 Main Jet let the stock 35 Pilot Jet., put it all together and she started right up.... No spewing or no popping them fart like sounds from the hyper charger like she use too. Took her for a spin, and reminded me when I first bought her in 2000. I want to thank everyone who chimed in.. Thanks Again!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Herrindude, 8 hours ago
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post ItBeMe
          by ItBeMe

Started by Lucky, 2 weeks ago
          46 responses
          0 likes