Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trex Star
    replied
    Thanks for all the info - I too have this issue. I'm going to try Doc's tweek first and see if anything changes.

Leave a comment:

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    That mod wasn't to make it not retract on it's own. It was to make the choke able to be completely off when the knob was pushed in.
    Very much like the way we (on RSC) used to trim the stock choke knob for the same reason.

• Emra
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed Doc but under the rubber cover is the plastic nut I am referring to. Thats the one that holds the spring and ball that engages the notches that holds the shaft in place. Once that ball and spring rusts up, all the tightening in the world wont make it work...at least that was my experience.

• Emra
    commented on 's reply
    It was overkill jones
    https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...eaper-than-oem

• J89k
    replied
    The choke on my bike was messed up when I got it too. I bought the chrome one from Maxair. Looks nicer. You an also fix individual components if something goes wrong (instead of replacing the whole thing). It only cost like 10 dollars more than the OEM. Do not regret the decision at all.

Leave a comment:

• boomerA
    replied
    My Harley-riding friend always carried a few spring-type clothespins to hold his bike's choke out...seemed to work okay.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    The adjuster to keep the knob out is the rubber bit on the front side.The plastic nut on the back just holds in on. Tighten the rubber cap on the front with your *fingers* NO TOOLS and it will keep the knob out.

Leave a comment:

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    "There was one member here who did that but had to mod it so it woudnt retract. He seemed to be happy with the result."

Really? Do you recall the title of the thread? Or the member that posted it?

• NthernLgts
    replied
    Originally posted by Shores View Post
    Another option is to just hold it out for a few minutes until the engine warms up. Then punch it in all the way.
    This is what I’m currently doing. Its not a huge issue as the bike warms up quickly, but is something I would like to fix.

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Another option is to just hold it out for a few minutes until the engine warms up. Then punch it in all the way.

Leave a comment:

• Emra
    replied
    I fought it for a year but was determined not to spend $80 for a new one. During that year I used a small pair of needle nose vise grips to hold that cable in place. There is a ball with a spring on top of it thats under that plastic nut you mentioned. Very often its the cause of problems like yours and mine. It gets full of rust. Some folks have been able to restore it by spraying some kind of lube in that area.
    If you remove that nut be careful the ball and spring dont become airborne. I was not able to save mine. I found that a ball from a small key chain works well. I made a spacer from a soft aluminum rivet to fit over the ball with out a spring and the plastic nut held it all together. Then I used a triangle file to file the notches in the pull rod a little deeper and reinstalled it. Those notches will wear smooth eventually too. It's works fine now but it's a little hard to pull, but it wont retract unless I make it retract. Another option is to buy a $25 cable for a harley off of Ebay and use that. There was one member here who did that but had to mod it so it woudnt retract. He seemed to be happy with the result. Good luck with yours

Leave a comment:

• NthernLgts
    started a topic Enricher/Choke wont stay pulled out

Enricher/Choke wont stay pulled out

The enricher/choke will not stay pulled out on my 2000 road star 1600 when I start the bike. I have adjusted the plastic nut on the back a bit and it makes it more difficult to pull out, but it still will not stay out. I have also rebuilt the enricher cover the way Duke does it. No difference. Thoughts?

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by JeffAzar, 19 hours ago
12 responses
0 likes
Last Post highvoltage  
Started by CarolinaTexan, 3 days ago
12 responses
1 like
Last Post highvoltage  
Started by Ivan Hannah, 1 day ago