Announcement

Collapse

Flagging spam

if you see a spam post, don't reply or comment on it. Just flag it. We get those flag reports and take action. That action is pretty simple. If the post is obviously spam we delete and then check few boxes to delete all other posts by that user and ban them permanently. If the post is questionable as spam then we can suspend the user and then send them a message to work it out.
So when it doubt - Flag The Post
See more
See less

accelerator pump shaft leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accelerator pump shaft leaking

I've been following the accelerator pump threads with interest but not found what I'm after yet. I rebuilt the carb on my 05 R*S 6k miles ago and its been running well, Actually it still does except for a light leak at the top of my accelerator pump shaft. Actually it's more like a dirty mist that accumulates after 50 miles or so. I checked the O ring on the threaded nut and its dry. I dont see any other seals in the parts schematics. What is supposed to keep the gas from seeping out of the top of the shaft under the rubber bellows? Does the shaft clearence wear that much after 72K miles, which is the mileage on the bike now? I am wondering if I can fix it or need to replace it.

Tie thread around the both the top and bottom of the boot to seal it up. The plunger part of the shaft is a close tolerance fit and will slightly wear over time.

Comment

• Emra
      Emra commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll try that. Sounds like you may have seen that problem before?

You can purchase the complete rod set. #34 in the pic. Scroll down to find the part number.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...awt/carburetor

and...

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...c65de51b1db704

Comment

• Emra
      Emra commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...I've seem them for sale and they are not too unreasonable. Its the #@&*&^&* shipping cost that keeps me from ordering a new one. Same with the plastic decel cover. $15 for the part and $10-15 for shipping for something that would fit in a standard mail envelope. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Make a running list till you have enough in your cart to justify shipping. I can alway find ways of spending money while hanging around these guys.

Comment

Sure, its easy to spend money on a road star. Theres always something on mine that needs attention and its been that way since it was new. It must have been built on either a Monday or a Friday. LOL I spotted a drop on oil on my garage floor last night. It looks like its coming from either the shock or some where above the shock. Like I said, its always something.

Comment

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        did you just change the oil, oil your air filter or is your crankcase breather hose installed to vent down there? A roadstar with an oil leak is a very rare thing.

• Emra
        Emra commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave,.as a matter of fact I did just change the oil and filter. I am usually very meticulous about not spilling or over servicing the oil tank but I suppose I could have gotten a little sloppy. My air filter is stock although on occasion it gets oily from breather fumes. I've been thinking about rerouting the breather hose, adding a small filter and dumping it overboard. The last oil leak I had was the clutch lever shaft.. Other than that its been dry.

No shipping cost if you have a Yamaha dealer close by. Just go into the dealer and order it.

Comment

• Emra
        Emra commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a dealer within two miles of me but they are more into Polaris 4 wheelers. I used them twice when the bike was still under warranty. Never went back after that, I did buy some parts from them but they were never in stock and price was sky high. I talked to the parts mgr and asked why. He told me they seldom stocked parts for bikes and when they ordered parts they also added shipping costs to the part. That was not for several parts per order. That was per part! One way or another we are all gonna pay shipping and I dont mind too much as long as its an honest charge, but it seldom ever is.

Emra did you check with Rockriver Powersports? They are the Host of this forum.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by thunderace4, 4 hours ago
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Father Pobasturd  
      Started by 03LiquidSilver, 06-07-2019, 04:44 AM
      20 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Chromepony