Announcement

Collapse

Flagging spam

if you see a spam post, don't reply or comment on it. Just flag it. We get those flag reports and take action. That action is pretty simple. If the post is obviously spam we delete and then check few boxes to delete all other posts by that user and ban them permanently. If the post is questionable as spam then we can suspend the user and then send them a message to work it out.
So when it doubt - Flag The Post
See more
See less

Bike stalls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bike stalls

    I was riding one afternoon from work and as I was going 70-80 mph and I came to a stop for a signal light, the bike died. I tried to start it back up but the bike just spin over. I had all the power from radio to headlight. I had a local sport bike mechanic work on it and he says he cleaned and jetted the carburetor. The bike ran but it did the exact same thing. The bike has new plugs, new fuel pump, (non Oem) and a new fuel filter. I even had the gas tank coated so rust wont start and I use premium gas only. Any advice would be helpful because I cant afford dealership prices.

  • #2
    Fuel pump may have quit. Non OEM are questionable reliability. No need to rejet if it was running fine before. Beware of mechanics. No need for premium fuel. The engine is a low compression design and engineered for 87. What year? How many miles? What is your current jetting? Stock intake filter and exhaust? We need much more into to help you.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm with Shores on the non OEM fuel pump. They are junk. You would be better off picking up a used oem one off ebay. Typically it's the points in the pump that fail and can be replaced with minimum work.
      A lot of the people here remove the pump completely to eliminate pump issues. I'm sure the other guys here with carbed bikes can chime in on what needs to done for the pump removal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Like Shores said, no more money to the mechanic; we can help you figure it out. And yes, the more info you can provide, the better we can help you. There are a number of possibilities but fuel pump is as likely a place to start as any. When you turn the bike on, do you hear the pump buzzing? Can you start the bike now? If the answer to both of those is "no", many have had aftermarket pumps fail right away, so it wouldn't be surprising. I just had a member send me a fuel pump a couple days ago and there were others on the following thread who had one available. Be sure to check it out and ask; I'm sure someone will step up: https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...hy-go-pumpless

        Comment


        • #5
          Gas tank may not be venting...........especially after having it coated.....
          not all those who wander are lost......

          Comment


          • #6
            Replace fuel pump with a new OEM one... $130....
            I would replace the fuel filter and look at the old one carefully. Pull the tank dran the gas and look at the screen/filter on the petcock to see if it's dirty. If the mechanic said he jetted the car ask SPECIFICALLY what brand and size he used and if he removed the carb from the bike for his "cleaning".

            how many miles in bike, what was used to coat the tank and who did it? Use 87 octane only and run Seafoam Motor Treatment through 3 full tanks in a row per instructions on can.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Flashback View Post
              Gas tank may not be venting...........especially after having it coated.....
              +1

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm with Shores and Flash, check the gas tank vent at the front right of the tank!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
                  Replace fuel pump with a new OEM one... $130....
                  I would replace the fuel filter and look at the old one carefully. Pull the tank dran the gas and look at the screen/filter on the petcock to see if it's dirty. If the mechanic said he jetted the car ask SPECIFICALLY what brand and size he used and if he removed the carb from the bike for his "cleaning".

                  how many miles in bike, what was used to coat the tank and who did it? Use 87 octane only and run Seafoam Motor Treatment through 3 full tanks in a row per instructions on can.
                  The petcock is also after market new. With the key on you can hear the pump clicking. The “mechanic” said he added bigger jets but I never seen the the jets. I’m gonna order a Oem fuel pump. The engine has 29,000 miles but the bike sat in a trailer for 14 months before he worked on it. Guys I’m sorry about the questions this my 1st cruiser and it upsets me when I go to work every day and a so called mechanic works on my bike

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Shores View Post
                    Fuel pump may have quit. Non OEM are questionable reliability. No need to rejet if it was running fine before. Beware of mechanics. No need for premium fuel. The engine is a low compression design and engineered for 87. What year? How many miles? What is your current jetting? Stock intake filter and exhaust? We need much more into to help you.
                    Crazy thing is mechanic said I need to run 100 octane

                    Comment


                    • jd750ace
                      jd750ace commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I'd steer clear of "that guy"

                  • #11
                    Have you tried starting the bike since you got it home? If your tank is not venting properly, even if the pump is working, it can't suck any fuel out of the tank. Open the gas cap for a moment and then try starting it again. If it starts and dies a few mins later, try opening the gas cap again, if you hear air get sucked in, the tank vent is your problem.

                    Check that and let us know what happens.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Cutdog1978 View Post

                      Crazy thing is mechanic said I need to run 100 octane
                      Forget mechanics! See the manual....87. High octane is for high compression engines. Contrary to popular belief, high octane doesn’t give every engine better performance. Octane suppresses combustion which is necessary for high compression engines. You are wasting money on the Roadstars low compression engine. My FI Roadstar runs hot on high octane.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        +1 what Shores said....forget mechanics. Our bikes (stock not HC modified) run better with low octane. Plenty can attest that and I am one of them. Ask here first for opinions from now on. Plenty of knowledge and experience with these bikes. Sounds like a pump or tank vent problem. Checking the roll over valve too would be on my list to check out.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Jclevesque View Post
                          +1 what Shores said....forget mechanics. Our bikes (stock not HC modified) run better with low octane. Plenty can attest that and I am one of them. Ask here first for opinions from now on. Plenty of knowledge and experience with these bikes. Sounds like a pump or tank vent problem. Checking the roll over valve too would be on my list to check out.
                          I just got my oem fuel pump and I’m going to clean out the gas tank vent hole. I’ll let you no how it turns out

                          Comment


                          • Flashback
                            Flashback commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You may find it difficult to clear the tank vent. best bet is to vent the gas cap....

                        • #15
                          When you get it all together and take it for a ride, if it does it again, open the gas cap for a moment and try again. If it starts after opening the gas cap, you still have a tank breather issue; in which case I'd try pulling the breather hose off the rollover valve on the left side of the frame. Best of luck; let us know what happens.

                          Comment

                          Latest Posts

                          Collapse

                          Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Deerkiller, 2 days ago
                          10 responses
                          230 views
                          2 likes
                          Last Post jd750ace  
                          Started by Azuqui, 1 week ago
                          4 responses
                          127 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Azuqui
                          by Azuqui
                           
                          Started by Jed Milhorne, 2 days ago
                          5 responses
                          315 views
                          2 likes
                          Last Post Kroyleahcim  
                          Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
                          621 responses
                          7,468 views
                          1 like
                          Last Post Kevstephenson7  
                          Started by Jed Milhorne, 2 days ago
                          17 responses
                          500 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Kevstephenson7  
                          Started by Bikerron, 23 hours ago
                          14 responses
                          132 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                          Started by Kevin Di, 23 hours ago
                          4 responses
                          85 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Kevin Di  
                          Started by Jclevesque, 4 days ago
                          8 responses
                          177 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Questcap  
                          Started by Jed Milhorne, 4 days ago
                          9 responses
                          169 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post davej
                          by davej
                           
                          Started by BubbaKahuna, 01-26-2019, 01:56 PM
                          90 responses
                          1,393 views
                          1 like
                          Last Post AreikUSA  
                          Started by Overkill jones, 3 days ago
                          16 responses
                          247 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Bikerron  
                          Started by J89k, 1 day ago
                          2 responses
                          80 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Lug Nut
                          by Lug Nut
                           
                          Started by Lucky, 03-09-2019, 09:30 AM
                          99 responses
                          1,845 views
                          7 likes
                          Last Post Lucky
                          by Lucky
                           
                          Started by Brian Schenk, 06-20-2019, 09:08 AM
                          22 responses
                          676 views
                          1 like
                          Last Post Jed Milhorne  
                          Started by zulater1990, 2 days ago
                          5 responses
                          168 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post zulater1990  
                          Started by Messer2.0, 05-02-2019, 02:34 PM
                          28 responses
                          413 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Deerkiller  
                          Started by midnitmike, 4 days ago
                          11 responses
                          195 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Chromepony  
                          Started by Claymeister, 03-30-2018, 10:20 PM
                          24 responses
                          973 views
                          6 likes
                          Last Post Chromepony  
                          Started by Overkill jones, 02-26-2018, 08:58 AM
                          94 responses
                          2,657 views
                          1 like
                          Last Post Overkill jones  
                          Working...
                          X