Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 roadstar spidersnest of issues.

hey guys,
    I recently inherited a 02 roadstar Silverado 1600, and have been attempting to weed out the issues. first of all the bike was in and out of the shop when my brother had it, due to some small things here and there he wanted worked on. now that he has given it to me it has yet to be able to start and fire on both cylinders. I got it to idle the other day on 1/2 cylinders, but since then its been a headache.
    parts replaced: Plugs, float pin. battery.
    I took it to Roseville Yamaha, and RedBike, and they couldn't find much wrong with what was going on, however when it gets running or even just trying to run, it misfires, and starts leaking fuel from the carb (where the intake filter housing is).

Modifications done prior to my ownership: jets, intake, exhaust.

Please if anyone has anything they want to chime in with, it would be much appreciated. this is my first bike, im fairly mechanically inclined however seem to have found myself stumped.

Has the float height been properly set? Does it still have a pilot mixture screw cause sometimes they do back out and fall out. Has the AIS been removed? Is the barb on the intake been plugged off? Just a few questions to get you started on specifics of your bike. More details on your intake, exhaust and jetting will help try to get you back on it riding reliably. More guys will ask more specifics once you post a little more info.

Comment

• RanchStar
      RanchStar commented
      Editing a comment
      all right, ill be honest, not a clue as to how to adjust the float level. the pilot mixture screw is still there. not entirely sure what the AIS is, so if you might be able to inform as to what that is. barb on the intake capped off? Not sure what the exhaust is, sure aint stock. intake is a cone intake from amazon I would imagine. jet was changed from a #35 to a #45.5.

You mentioned that you changed the float pin. Is the pin your talking about the needle valve or the pivot pin for the float? If you replaced the float bowl needle and seat valve, then you need to check the float level.
    The float levels will have different levels if adjusted with and with out fuel pump pressure. If normally running the fuel pump, then adjust float bowl fuel level with the fuel pump on. Fuel pump pressure is about 2 psi.
    Make sure the pilot, main jet, emulsion tube, and all the ports are clean and with out any obstructions. A clean or dirty air filter?
    Check what Jclevesque has said as well.
    Fresh fuel makes a difference, so make sure your fuel is good.

Comment

• RanchStar
      RanchStar commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah sorry, I changed the float needle valve. not sure how to check/ adjust the float but ill look into it. I have taken the carb apart, and everything is free of debris and spotless. air filter is brand new as well. and it has a fresh tank of fuel.

check for oil pressure. Your is in the years made with the weak oil pump drive gears. A broken drive gear will give it a misfire like you are describing. You can check by loosening the oil line at the "Y" oil line on the left side of the bike while it is half ass running. Oil should spray out at a pretty good rate so be ready to retighten the line. If it just kind of drips from the line that means the gear is broken. This will not have anything to do with your carb issue.

also did it run OK before the carb work? Or did you do the carb work trying to fix it because it was running bad?

Comment

• RanchStar
      RanchStar commented
      Editing a comment
      I have heard that the oil pressure could be an issue, however the tech that I was talking to was saying that if it was an issue the rear cylinder would be the one misfiring, however I am misfiring on the front cylinder.
      and im checking with my brother who gave me the bike in regards to the carb now.

I don't quite understand the thing about the dealership. What did they say? Did they say "Yep it is F&%ked up but we have no idea what is wrong" or did you not give the an opportunity to dig in to find the issue?

Comment

• RanchStar
      RanchStar commented
      Editing a comment
      they said to just put the bike back to stock and start there, I had the mechanic at redbike work on some what of a trouble shoot for quite some time. he wasn't sure and said the bike ran weird when it first ever came into the shop. and Yamaha just said to put the bike to stock.

Look closely at the power wires & plug wires on both coils. Make sure that none of them are cracked/leaking or grounding-out against the frame.
    I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

• RanchStar
      RanchStar commented
      Editing a comment
      all electrical seems to be just fine, no freys or incorrect contact.

The rear cylinder wouldn't necessarily be the one to misfire. The mechanic told you that but didn't check the oil pressure or offer you any resolve for the issue. He said it run weird when it come into the shop??? I would have told him No Shit Sherlock that is why it was there!!! Them saying that Yamaha said to put it back stock is a bullshit answer from someone that is only a mechanic because he got a set of tools for Christmas. lol You need to check the oil pressure where and how I said above. If it is an oil pressure issue you can do more damage everytime you try to start it. If it isn't an oil pressure issue the worst that can happen is you take a rag and wipe up the oil that come out. Also stay away from whatever dealership you went to they obviously are a bunch of hacks.

Comment

• RanchStar
      RanchStar commented
      Editing a comment
      im going to take your word for it and check the oil pressure today shortly. Perhaps that is the issue, would you deem this a fairly easy repair, or something I don't want to bother with too much with my workspace being just the garage with no lift.

I don't know your skill level so hard to say. I can do one in about an hr and 1/2. But then again I'm a retired mechanic. It involves removing the clutch basket to get to the broken gear. It is the small gear at the bottom under that shaft. Click image for larger version

Name:	oil gear.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	48964 the one on the right is the new style that if beefier on the end.Click image for larger version

Name:	oil gear location.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	48963

Comment

Any fuel that goes past the float bowl is from the needle not seating or the o-ring on the needle housing.
      Was the needle housing replaced?
      Check for spark by removing all plugs.
      Check for spark.
      Put a spark plug in one of the plug wires ground the plug and spin the motor over with the key on and hit the start button.
      (look for a spark at the end of the spark plug)
      Do this four times. (once per wire)
      No spark go to the coils.Unscrew the spark plug boots and look for the wire. Look to see they are in good condition and you can see the wire.
      Last edited by Jeaston; 5 days ago. Reason: 2nd thought

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

• RanchStar
        RanchStar commented
        Editing a comment
        needle has been replaced. float adjusted. checked for spark and positive im getting spark. now here is another stump. while the bike is running, I know that the back cylinder is firinhg stong, so I pulled the coil wires off of those plugs and it seemed like it was still firing, wtffffffffff

Plug wires are cylinder specific and left and right specific. It's in the book.
      When you say the needle was replaced, was the housing also replaced? ( the brass thing the needle is in.)

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

would you happen to be talking about Roseville, Michigan yamaha?
        my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

• RanchStar
          RanchStar commented
          Editing a comment
          no sir, Roseville California

oh ok. im about 5 min from roseville, mi. was gunna say i could look her over but thats to far, lol
        my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	48992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	48993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	48994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	48995Click image for larger version

Name:	56556223712__E4F15F72-0255-48A5-87E3-4FC8A8648809.JPG
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	48996 alrighty maybe this might assist.

Modifications: Intake (amazon cone), Exhaust (unknown), jetted from a #35 to #45.5.

replacements: Spark plugs, float valve, battery.

image of Carb- I took bike out for a test run to see if maybe something might clear up, however nothing cleared up, and when I was done, there was fuel coming from "circled" screw fairly heavily

Image of bike- im not sure what the exhaust system is

Image of intake- intake being used

image of left side block- I checked the oil pressure from these two locations to verify that there were no lubrication delivery issues possibly causing a misfire

current issue.- bike has misfire, leaks fuel from carb. that's it.

Comment

Fuel level is to high in the float bowl.
            As Jeaston was asking, did you replace the float needle seat?
            If you have replaced it, you might want to check the o-ring on it. I have seen them leak before, and have seen the o-ring broken. I think the alcohol that's in our fuels today is hard on the o-rings.
            For me now, anytime I have the bowl off, I always check the float valve for it working right and isn't leaking.

The port that you have circled on the carb, is the air feed for the pilot circuit.

Comment

Leaking fuel, and a black plug... equals way RICH to me. Likely a fuel flooding issue, and you have to go back to the carb for that. Fuel inlet, proper jetting, float adjustment, (bad float?), and external carb adjusters all need to be looked at. It's likely just one small thing, but it'll make all the difference. And, since it's not too terribly costly, just buy all new parts, replace and test one at a time, if that's what it is going to take, until it's finally right! Hard to figure it's anything other than a carb issue, and no need to cuss Yami, or anybody else... it's a 17 year old carburetor, operating in a pretty harsh environment.

Comment

45.5 pilot on a 1600 sounds kind of RICH.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by divewelder, 13 hours ago
                13 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post davej
                by davej

Started by zingpow, 1 week ago
                32 responses
                0 likes