Air filter help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter help

So I have just bought a second hand exhaust and two second hand filters..one has a K&n cover on it but has a factory Yamaha pt no on it..the other filter that I'd ideally like to use is a smaller round one which I'm fairly sure is a barons xxx big air filter..I'd like to use this filter but after looking at the backing plate I notice it only has one hose connection on it..my factory filter has two hoses connecting on to it..the fella I bought the filter off says he definately had it on his carbed Roadstar..so I'm wondering if I can use this filter..thanks everyone

What hose do you currently have going to the back of the box other than the rear valve cover vent hose? Have you relocated your vent hose?

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Fat pete
      Fat pete commented
      Editing a comment
      It's how I bought the bike all factory stock.from what I remember there's a smaller hose going to the top of the airfilter side of the carb and the bigger hose dissapeared down to the other side of the bike somewhere

This is the other filter and I'm not sure what this one is really..there's a pt no that comes back as a factory Yamaha part..but I'm not sure..but it has the 2 rubber hose pipe outlets on it .like I said I'd much rather use the round filter but not sure on what to do about the round filter only having one pipe outlet.maybe run a t.piece on that one outlet??.any help would be gladly appreciated...

Comment

Woops sorry didn't mean to post this..

Comment

You need to take your stock one off and see what you have and not be guessing. There is a small hose from the stock AIS that attaches to the carb, not the box. Is your AIS still on or removed.

https://partstream.arinet.com/Mobile...EVfcD7wU1.html

Comment

• Fat pete
          Fat pete commented
          Editing a comment
          See that second filter on the back how there's a big fat pipe outlet and then right next to it is that smaller steel pipe outlet I'm pretty sure that's what mine has as when I pulled it off last week there was a smaller sized hose that stays on the box and connects to the top of the carb..the other fatter outlet you practically have to put the airfilter back on before that hose can be slipped over the pipe outlet on the back of the filter and then you slip a small clip over it.. thanks

Okay thanks for that.ill wait till I pull the airfilter off again and take some pictures of what I've got.but I'm sure there's two hoses coming off the airfilter..I'm pretty sure it's similar to that other bigger K&n filter I put a picture of which has two pipe connecters on it..sorry for the confusion..I'm not Gunna get time to do the job for a few days so I'll get back to this post as soon as I can..I don't even know what the AIS is at this stage but I'm learning fast..I have a workshop manual so I'll have a look at that..thankyou Shores much appreciate the link too.thanks mate

Comment

On a stock carbonated bike, you only have the large rear head vent hose going to the back of the intake box. The small AIS hose attaches to the carb. The AIS is an EPA item, black and located at the front of the engine. Most folks remove it and block off the two ports to the heads as well as the port on the carb.

Comment

• Fat pete
            Fat pete commented
            Editing a comment
            So I can just plug the big hose into the big connecter on the back of the new filter and block of that hose that slips on the top of the carb but I have to also block of the ports to the heads..anyone have a link on how to do that please..thanks

• SKWEARpeg
            SKWEARpeg commented
            Editing a comment
            On the stock carbonated bikes, there are two hose connections. One is the bowl vent, which actually just dead ends at the metal fitting on the back of the airbox. The second is the crankvent line, which vents to the inside of the stock air filter. Hence the need to cap it when relocating the crankcase vent line.

• SKWEARpeg
            SKWEARpeg commented
            Editing a comment
            The AIS connects to the top of the intake manifold, not the carb. It is the little brass nipple on top of the black Y shaped intake manifold.

Read some links regarding removal of the AIS ..what's the benefit of removing this?I'd rather just jet my carb and stick my exhaust and filter on.sounds like I got to get hold of some sort of kit to unhook the AIS??

Comment

Can't I just leave that AIS crap alone and put the filter on??

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can Pete. All it does, I think, is diffuse the exhaust by adding fresh air to the exhaust so it'll pass EPA (Environmental Protection Agency, A US government agency created in the early 1970's to reduce vehicle emissions ) regulations. It doesn't effect the running of the bike, it doesn't even reduce the amount of hydrocarbons the bike makes, it just dilutes it so it'll pass the stupid test. Think 1970's - 1980's cars with smog pumps. Same thing. Eventually you'll want to get rid of it. It's unsightly and it's blocking fresh air from cooling your motor, plus it's heavy, it's just a big piece of junk you are hauling around so some tree hugger can sleep better at night thinking it's saving the environment. Total stupidity. My bike is a 2006, basically the same as your bike, so you'll have to do what I did and buy the block-off plate kit (check Ebay) to seal up the ports in the heads when you decide to get rid of it. But, in the interim I think it's ok to leave it there.

Comment

• Fat pete
                Fat pete commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks mate..getting hold of the kit to block it of was what was pissn me off as everything I've looked at for the bike had to come from the USA..and postage has always been more than the price of the part and I didn't know where to start to try get hold of these block off plates..so I guess my next move is to have a look at my bike and make sure it's the same as yours and if it is I'll get onto eBay and just get it ordered and get done..thankyou for your help..

If you can find some empty .45 cal ACP pistol brass, the brass will fit snugly in the holes where the fittings are pressed into the heads now. I’m assuming that on the Wildstar type 1600’s like yours, the AIS fittings on the heads are pressed in, and not bolted on.
              The fittings can be a bit of a stinker to remove. You can use some vise grips and wiggle and rotate them to loosen them up, and then with a long screwdriver working from the opposite side of the bike, drive them out. Rotate them so you can get the screwdriver behind the angled fitting. Drive on the screwdriver with a hammer. Hit it a few times, and then rotate them a bit with the vise grips again, until they come out.
              If they are bolted on, then you can make some aluminum plates using the existing hardware as a template, and the stock gasket.

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                Father Pobasturd commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea, that's right, he has a 1600. I see 2005 and I keep thinking 1700. Yea, yours probably takes the .45 rounds, which is cheaper for you but more of a bitch to get them out. A word of caution, don't use live .45 rounds!

If you have aftermarket pipes that are loud when you decelerate the bike will backfire (annoyingly) with the AIS in place. I guess they always BF to some extent with stock exhaust but you just don't notice it since its not loud. Removing the AIS cured the issue for me but i have a fuel injected bike. I'm pretty sure the carbonated bikes act the same way though, someone else can chime in here about that.
              2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

Actually the AIS doesn't just dilute the exhaust as previously stated. The added oxygen causes any excess fuel (hydrocarbons) that wasn't burned during combustion to reignite and burn before reaching the atmosphere. That's the popping heard during a rich decel. It is also doing its job during cruise, with the exception of the FI bikes, and acceleration, idle, etc.

During closed loop operation on the FI bikes the AIS is turned off. On the FI bikes the cats combined with the AIS makes for a very clean exhaust.
                Scott B.

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                  Father Pobasturd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a feeling I was wrong on that. I stand corrected.

• SKWEARpeg
                  SKWEARpeg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The decel popping caused by the AIS when going to an aftermarket set of pipes. It’s the unburned fuel combusting. The stock pipes cover the noise.

Great stuff fellas I truly appreciate everyone's help here..thankyou so much

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by D-Fresh, 4 days ago
                9 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post D-Fresh
                by D-Fresh

Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                2,507 responses
                3 likes