X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SKWEARpeg
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodzim View Post
    Got it. Thanks guys. My experience comes from tinkering with edelbrock carbs. If you turn the pms screws all the way in on an edelbrock it will not idle.
    But the mikuni is a different beast. Right now it is at 2 turns out and it runs better than ever with the new hypercharger. 172.5 main and needle in the 4th slot with V&H longshots
    If you ever have the carb off the bike, look in the back side of the throat. You can rotate the throttle wheel a little bit, and when the plate in the throat opens, you'll see three tiny holes in the floor of the throat right where the plate almost touches right at the bottom. Those are the main Pilot circuit supply. That's why the bike won't die. It may get a low ragged idle when the PMS is screwed in, but it still is getting fuel. The PMS, is what adds fuel at idle, to regulate the idle A/F mix.
    The Idle adjustment screw, is just a throttle stop. It keeps the plate from closing completely. This is why the 900 rpm idle is so important. The idle adjuster, is actually controlling the air flow through the carb. At 900 rpms, it is getting the correct air flow.

Leave a comment:

• Rodzim
    replied
    Got it. Thanks guys. My experience comes from tinkering with edelbrock carbs. If you turn the pms screws all the way in on an edelbrock it will not idle.
    But the mikuni is a different beast. Right now it is at 2 turns out and it runs better than ever with the new hypercharger. 172.5 main and needle in the 4th slot with V&H longshots

Leave a comment:

• Spydr
    commented on 's reply
    Nope! I can assure you that it doesn't cure gout.
    I'm dealing with a flair up now and I *have* been tweeking my HSR.

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely helps with the hemorrhoids lifting the cheek to reach down there.

• SKWEARpeg
    replied
    What Davej said. Keep in mind, you want the bike hot enough to burn your fingers good, and the idle needs to be around 900rpms.
    You can back the PMS out from lightly seated, until you get to the best smoothest idle. Do this a little at a time. You’ll probably be around 1 7/8 out or so. Most end up about 2 3/8, because as temps change(drop), you may end up at the 2 3/8, because you can end up with a small pop in the decel, instead of a cleaner burble if it’s set to lean.

You can do all the fiddling to get there, or just set it around 2 1/4 out from lightly seated(the factory setting), and go riding. :r1:

People tend to like to play with the PMS, because they like to tinker. Depending on who you talk to, messing with the PMS, can even cure gout.

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    a 37.5 won't stall the bike turning it in. Turn it out to best idle and leave it. If you have a 1600 the 37.5 is the correct pilot jet and it sounds like it is working exactly like it should. Don't look for trouble when you have no issues.

Leave a comment:

• Rodzim
    started a topic PMS?????

PMS?????

Hey guys, ive been playing with the pms screw on my carb since i have pretty crappy gas mileage. I recently installed a hypercharger pro and all of a sudden i went from 29-30 mpg to 36. In all honesty i think my air filter was gummed up pretty bad.
    Now for the pms. If i turn it all the way in the bike keeps running, if i back it out past 2 turns the idle starts dropping. It has the 37.5 pilot. I checked the little oring on the pms and it is there, i had it running without the air cleaner on and i didnt see any fuel coming from the main/needle.
    is the pilot wore to the point that it doesnt seat shut? Thats the only thing i can think of for fuel to seep past the carb into the intake. Float level is perfect, i checked yesterday.
    thoughts?
    BTW, it runs great, i just want to make sure everything is working as it should

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Doc_V, 10 hours ago
5 responses
3 likes
Last Post Lug Nut
by Lug Nut

Started by Horsehammerr, 1 day ago
19 responses
0 likes
Last Post Jclevesque