Announcement

Collapse

Flagging spam

if you see a spam post, don't reply or comment on it. Just flag it. We get those flag reports and take action. That action is pretty simple. If the post is obviously spam we delete and then check few boxes to delete all other posts by that user and ban them permanently. If the post is questionable as spam then we can suspend the user and then send them a message to work it out.
So when it doubt - Flag The Post
See more
See less

Carb issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb issues?

I have a 2001 xv1600. I bought the bike for an Xbox. It was not running at the time. It had also been bobbed. After much looking on this forum and many attempts, I have finally got it to run. Problem is it runs like @#$%$$. I can get it to fire up, and it will sit there and lope for a few minutes with the enricher pulled out. It will warm up the pipes. Anything more than the slightest throttle input will kill the engine. I have had the carb off more times than I can remember and have confirmed or set the following things: Installed the 3.0 inlet valve, 170 main jet, Mikuni 3.75 pilot jet. PO had installed a Barons kit and the clip is in the fourth groove of the needle with the white washer under it, the pilot screw is set to approximately 2.5 turn out, and the pump is gone. I am currently working on this trying to get it running properly and do not have the tank installed. I am using a lawnmower gas tank with a 5/16" fuel line going to the carb. The carb is getting fuel, and I think that the float level is about right based on what I have read here. When I have tried to adjust the idle up, that too will kill the engine if I go too far. I am at a loss at this point in time as to what could be next? I have been through the ignition system troubleshoot in the manual and all there appears OK. I have disassembled the carb and cleaned everything with carb cleaner(spray) I appear to have liquid coming from all of the ports that I am supposed to when using the spray. I am wondering if I should try breaking it down again and soaking all of the metal parts in Berrymans? Any ideas would be very welcome at this point as I am out of ideas. I would not call myself a mechanic by any means, but I can follow directions and have a general understanding of how a carb works and an engine works. I really think I have a fueling issue here, but I might be looking in the wrong direction and not realizing it.

Question,

Is the AIS port plugged on the intake.
    Is the manifold cracked?
    Sounds like a major vacuum leak.
    2005 Silverado Midnight Star

Comment

You said it would lope for a minute or so with the enricher pulled out. These motors don't like to lope. Turn up the idle speed and try it again.
      Peace,
      Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
      (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

And what SbTx_Rider said about the vacuum leak.
        Peace,
        Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
        (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

Also, these manifolds are made out of a hard rubber with aluminum parts embedded at certain places. Make sure the manifold itself is not cracked.
          2005 Silverado Midnight Star

Comment

Sounds like you are on track and the idle adjustment screw may just have the plate too tight. Check the intake manifold and make sure the brass nipple on top has a cap on it or a hose attached going to the AIS valve on the front between the downtubes. She should be galloping pretty fast with that jetting and the enrichener out.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

OK. I finally got back to it today. I pulled the carb and then the intake manifold. The manifold itself is in great shape(it might be new) and the brass nipple had a piece of hose over it with a bolt in it. the hose was cracked so I pulled it off and replaced it with a proper vacuum cap. I inspected the o-rings which looked good and applied a little blue rtv outside of the orings, and reinstalled. It runs a little faster now, but still dies upon any throttle input. Sorry this took me so long to get back to. I work a lot and don't play nearly enough. Any other places I might look for vacuum leaks or any other suggestions? I can only work on it for a couple of hours at a time as I keep draining the battery and have to recharge it. Any one know a safe way to hook up a car battery to one of these so that I could work longer? I am sorry if I am becoming a pest.

Comment

• rustybones49801
                rustybones49801 commented
                Editing a comment
                You are not a pest, we all learn as we go along, and the group of guys on this forum know these bikes probably better than some parents know their kids, just keep at it and keep the information coming, something will click together for you and you will be off and running.

Have you checked to make sure the accelerator pump is squirting as soon as you start to twist the throttle? Gas should be squirting from the brass tube at the mouth of the carb. If it is not squirting it will cause a lean spot on the throttle transition off idle and pop spit and die.

Comment

What Davej mentioned, and the possibility the carb still has some blockage in the Pilot circuit.
                Keep in mind, the bike needs the Enricher about halfway out, until it’s warmed up.
                The idle on a hot motor should be 850 to 950rpms. Most shoot for 900.

Since the bike wants to die if you try and turn the idle up when it is running, I’m thinking the Pilot circuit is still blocked.
                Some have had to run a broom straw or fine wire down the Pilot passage to get it opened up.
                Remove the Pilot jet, and the PMS. Be careful not to lose any of the PMS stuff. A spring, small washer, and an oring. The oring likes to stay in the hole, just make sure it’s not lost.
                If you use a red tube on the carb cleaner and stick it in the hole the Pilot jet was in, you should get cleaner out of the PMS hole, as well as three small holes in the floor of the throat at the back, just where the throttle plate almost touches the floor. If you cover the PMS hole with your finger, the cleaner should come out of those three holes in the throat.

I’ll echo what Rusty said. You’re not being a pest. This time of year, a lot of guys are riding when they don’t have other stuff going on.

Comment

I will re-check the pilot circuit again. The accelerator pump does not squirt fuel when opening the throttle. I will consult the tech article on adjusting it before putting it back together again. When I went through the carb the first time I noticed the oring on the a-pump was shot and I was getting fuel leakage around it. I could not find anywhere that I could buy just the o-ring, so I replaced the pump. I have done some more diagnostics today and would like to share the results. When it was 'idling' the rear pipe would get much hotter than the front pipe. It would heat up in just a couple of minutes to the point that I could not even tap with my fingers. The difference in temps, and some advise from my father led me to a compression check. The front cylinder(the colder one) has a reading of apx. 175 psi. The rear cylinder has a reading of around 140 psi. When I did this test I also noted the plug color. The front plugs are very sooty black (but not wet) and the back ones are almost un-colored, leaning toward tan. I also need to check what is under the PMS because I remember the spring being there, but I am not sure of a washer or o-ring.

Comment

I have not said so yet, but thank you all for taking the time to consider my problem and give advise. I appreciate it.

Comment

You’re compression is fine. I think the decompression solenoid accounts for the variation.....I think????
                      The bend in the rear pipe causes it to warm up faster, but you could check for fire on the front cylinder just to make sure both plugs are firing.
                      Get your accel pump working properly, so you get a squirt when you role the throttle.

Comment

Thank you, SKWEARpeg. I will do the accel pump first as I shouldn't have to remove the card for that. Then I will confirm fire on the front cylinder. I will keep you guys up to date.

Comment

You don't have to remove the carb to get to the pilot jet either. Just remove the bowl and it's easy to get to. Be careful not to bump the float and change its setting.
                          Scott B.

Comment

10-4. Thanks, texasscott1. I will try it that way.

Comment

OK. I removed the carb again and disassemble it and soaked the metal parts in Berrymans for a week. I reassemble everything and installed it. It runs better than it has up to now, but I still have a very low idle and it will not take throttle. I am not sure why I didn't do so before, but I checked the pressure coming out of the exhaust pipes(put my hand over them) and the rear cylinder felt 'normal', but the front cylinder only had pressure coming out of it maybe every other or every third rotation. I am also getting a regular backfire through the carb throat. I took a short video of it and have uploaded it to Youtube. If any of you would be willing to take a look and let me know what you think I would appreciate it. This morning I pulled the front cylinder head. The valves appear to be OK, but I have not disassembled the head yet(need a valve spring compressor). The rocker arms looked fine the push rods are straight. and there doesn't seem to be any undue wear on the cam lobes. This has really got me scratching my head!

Comment

The idle is way to low!!

Comment

the Idle is way low. Turn it up, using the black knob at the base of the cylinders on the right side.
                                  Also make sure you’re getting oil pressure once you turn the idle up. With the bike running, crack one of the banjo bolts on the Chrome “Y” on the left side of the motor. If you have oil pressure, you’ll get a good oil flow with the bolt loosened.

Comment

I have tried. The idle screw will start to make it rev a little higher, but if I go too far, it dies. I am curious as to whether the oil pressure may have something to do with how this is running? I definitely understand the need for oil pressure, I just don't understand how it might relate to this problem? I also think it might have been rebuilt. The complete lack of a ridge at the top of the cylinder and very good crosshatching on the cylinder walls are why I think that. I have manually opened all four valves on the front head, and they all seem to have about the same amount of spring tension, so I don't seem to have any broken valve springs. I was hopping to find a burn valve or a bent push rod or something that would have been an obvious "a-ha" but I just keep coming up short. Could the timing be out? I am grasping at this point.

Comment

Just a thought. Did you pull the emulsion tube and clean? Try blowing air thru the two small air feeds in front of your carb, this might help if those air feeds are dirty. The one on the left is for the pilot circuit and the center, (right), is for the main jet / emulsion circuit.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                      Started by thunderace4, 4 hours ago
                                      4 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                                      Started by 03LiquidSilver, 06-07-2019, 04:44 AM
                                      20 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Chromepony  
                                      Started by Jaybo, 2 days ago
                                      8 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Chromepony  
                                      Started by Leiurus, 14 hours ago
                                      9 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Chromepony  
                                      Started by thunderace4, 3 days ago
                                      6 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post thunderace4  
                                      Started by jdhard0341, 4 hours ago
                                      2 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post davej
                                      by davej

Started by Leiurus, 15 hours ago
                                      18 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Jlb76
                                      by Jlb76

Started by slack007, 1 day ago
                                      10 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Lug Nut
                                      by Lug Nut

Started by Shores, 6 hours ago
                                      1 response
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Lug Nut
                                      by Lug Nut

Started by Padre, 6 hours ago
                                      2 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Bikerron  
                                      Started by boomerA, 1 day ago
                                      13 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post davej
                                      by davej

Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
                                      659 responses
                                      1 like
                                      Last Post Ahodge75  
                                      Started by midnitmike, 1 week ago
                                      13 responses
                                      2 likes
                                      Last Post highvoltage  
                                      Started by Jaybo, 2 days ago
                                      15 responses
                                      0 likes
                                      Last Post Shores
                                      by Shores