BAK Questions & Jetting Confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAK Questions & Jetting Confirmation

So, three questions follow a description of what I have going on. Just wanting to verify everything before I place an order...

I have a bone stock RS1700, as far as I know, other than the previous owner removing the baffles from the stock exhaust. It backfires on deceleration and hesitates a little bit when leaving stop lights and stop signs etc. I've noticed the last few days that this doesn't happen if I leave the choke pulled out about a quarter of the way. I plan on removing the AIS, and installing a higher flow intake (BAK or similar). This all points to needing to jet the bike I'm assuming. Eventually, I will also install a different exhaust but that will be later down the road as the budget permits.

First question... Do the Barons Big Air Kits come with the jet kit? I've seen this referenced a couple times. If true, I would essentially be killing to birds with one stone by ordering one of their BAK's.

Second question... I still need to buy a Mikuni 40 pilot jet separately correct?

The jet settings I've seen referenced on the forums for 1700's are:

172.5 Main Jet
    40 Pilot Jet
    clip in the 4th groove with 1 washer and plastic spacer, PMS at 2 - 2 1/2 turns out

Third question... Does any of this need to change if I live and ride mostly between 3500 - 4000 feet?

Thank You,

FlynJ

Yes, Baron's kit comes with the jetting mods and you'll definitely want to rejet. Check out their site. Here is the link you need --> https://www.baronscustom.com/catalog...264/index.html

Shiny Side ⬆︎ Rubber Side ⬇︎

Comment

It's a lot cheaper to just buy the individual jets and needle. For your elevation I would be starting with a 170 / 37.5 / needle in the middle with washer and spacer.
      2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

• FDRUCaptain
        FDRUCaptain commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like 1600 jetting if I remember correctly.

• Jaybo
        Jaybo commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha, I missed that, That much of an elevation change though he is going to be on the leaner side, CV carb or not, IMHO.

My 1700 runs great with a 172.5 main, 40 pilot, 4th groove, and 2.5 turns . I'm at 1'100 feet.
      "There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."
      Chris, 2004 Roadstar Silverado

Comment

Originally posted by FDRUCaptain View Post
        My 1700 runs great with a 172.5 main, 40 pilot, 4th groove, and 2.5 turns . I'm at 1'100 feet.
        This one ^^^^^

....for a 1700 with intake and exhaust mods.

I will add, the stock CV carb compensates for elevation by design. Not necessary to alter your jetting from what is mentioned here, to accommodate an elevation difference.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses!

FlynJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo View Post
            It's a lot cheaper to just buy the individual jets and needle. For your elevation I would be starting with a 170 / 37.5 / needle in the middle with washer and spacer.
            Where do you get the needle?

Comment

• Spydr
              Spydr commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, Jaybo. Where did you find a correct needle for sale without buying a kit?

can't buy just a needle for the OEM carb. You have to buy the whole kit. I recommend Barons and only Mikuni jets.

Comment

• Tug
              Tug commented
              Editing a comment
              There was a member on the old forum that was re-profiling OEM needles to the barons profile. But I can't remember who it is and I don't have a barons needle to reference for comparison. I know he is a bike flipper and that he was/is doing them for his own projects.

• SKWEARpeg
              SKWEARpeg commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Shamrock reprofiled several stock needles. You still need to pick up a few shims, to adjust elevation as needed, because the stock needle only has a single groove.

Originally posted by Tug View Post

Where do you get the needle?
            Well it looks like Mikuni makes it just a little harder than Keihin for getting the proper tapers and whatnot than Mikuni does. I got a call in to a mikuni expert and see if he has a way to track it down. I'm assuming they use the #7 series needle but I will need to measure my stock CV needle and figure it out. You can see the specs of richer and leaner needle profiles on the Jetsrus needle page. It looks like it could just be a matter of simple measuring of the aftermarket needle and compare with regular Mikuni needles.

The kit sellers may very well be making their own custom needles, but in the off road world Keihin needles were simpler to figure out and we always laughed at people who would spend $50+ on a Dynojet kit when you could buy individual jets and needles for well under $20. That was where my original comment came from, since Keihin made it easier to figure out.

I will look into it a bit more and see what I can find out, because as my wife says, I could very well be wrong

2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

• Spydr
              Spydr commented
              Editing a comment
              Been there, done that with Jets R Us *and* Sudco.
              I have needles that *were* the closest to our needle size that they *had* at the time. Close, but no banana. Too short and/or too rich.

Originally posted by Jaybo View Post

Well it looks like Mikuni makes it just a little harder than Keihin for getting the proper tapers and whatnot than Mikuni does. I got a call in to a mikuni expert and see if he has a way to track it down. I'm assuming they use the #7 series needle but I will need to measure my stock CV needle and figure it out. You can see the specs of richer and leaner needle profiles on the Jetsrus needle page. It looks like it could just be a matter of simple measuring of the aftermarket needle and compare with regular Mikuni needles.

The kit sellers may very well be making their own custom needles, but in the off road world Keihin needles were simpler to figure out and we always laughed at people who would spend $50+ on a Dynojet kit when you could buy individual jets and needles for well under $20. That was where my original comment came from, since Keihin made it easier to figure out.

I will look into it a bit more and see what I can find out, because as my wife says, I could very well be wrong
            There will probably be a lot of interest in a cheaper needle vs buying a whole kit from barons

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by roadiemort, 12-29-2019, 01:18 PM
            50 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post roadiemort  
            Started by Blackcloud12, 26 minutes ago
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Blackcloud12