Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BAK Questions & Jetting Confirmation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BAK Questions & Jetting Confirmation

    So, three questions follow a description of what I have going on. Just wanting to verify everything before I place an order...

    I have a bone stock RS1700, as far as I know, other than the previous owner removing the baffles from the stock exhaust. It backfires on deceleration and hesitates a little bit when leaving stop lights and stop signs etc. I've noticed the last few days that this doesn't happen if I leave the choke pulled out about a quarter of the way. I plan on removing the AIS, and installing a higher flow intake (BAK or similar). This all points to needing to jet the bike I'm assuming. Eventually, I will also install a different exhaust but that will be later down the road as the budget permits.

    First question... Do the Barons Big Air Kits come with the jet kit? I've seen this referenced a couple times. If true, I would essentially be killing to birds with one stone by ordering one of their BAK's.

    Second question... I still need to buy a Mikuni 40 pilot jet separately correct?

    The jet settings I've seen referenced on the forums for 1700's are:

    172.5 Main Jet
    40 Pilot Jet
    clip in the 4th groove with 1 washer and plastic spacer, PMS at 2 - 2 1/2 turns out


    Third question... Does any of this need to change if I live and ride mostly between 3500 - 4000 feet?

    Thank You,

    FlynJ

  • #2
    Yes, Baron's kit comes with the jetting mods and you'll definitely want to rejet. Check out their site. Here is the link you need --> https://www.baronscustom.com/catalog...264/index.html

    Shiny Side ⬆︎ Rubber Side ⬇︎

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a lot cheaper to just buy the individual jets and needle. For your elevation I would be starting with a 170 / 37.5 / needle in the middle with washer and spacer.
      2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

      Comment


      • FDRUCaptain
        FDRUCaptain commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like 1600 jetting if I remember correctly.

      • Jaybo
        Jaybo commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha, I missed that, That much of an elevation change though he is going to be on the leaner side, CV carb or not, IMHO.

    • #4
      My 1700 runs great with a 172.5 main, 40 pilot, 4th groove, and 2.5 turns . I'm at 1'100 feet.
      "There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."
      Chris, 2004 Roadstar Silverado

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by FDRUCaptain View Post
        My 1700 runs great with a 172.5 main, 40 pilot, 4th groove, and 2.5 turns . I'm at 1'100 feet.
        This one ^^^^^

        ....for a 1700 with intake and exhaust mods.


        I will add, the stock CV carb compensates for elevation by design. Not necessary to alter your jetting from what is mentioned here, to accommodate an elevation difference.

        Comment


        • #6
          Thank you all for the responses!

          FlynJ

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Jaybo View Post
            It's a lot cheaper to just buy the individual jets and needle. For your elevation I would be starting with a 170 / 37.5 / needle in the middle with washer and spacer.
            Where do you get the needle?

            Comment


            • Spydr
              Spydr commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, Jaybo. Where did you find a correct needle for sale without buying a kit?

          • #8
            can't buy just a needle for the OEM carb. You have to buy the whole kit. I recommend Barons and only Mikuni jets.

            Comment


            • Tug
              Tug commented
              Editing a comment
              There was a member on the old forum that was re-profiling OEM needles to the barons profile. But I can't remember who it is and I don't have a barons needle to reference for comparison. I know he is a bike flipper and that he was/is doing them for his own projects.

            • SKWEARpeg
              SKWEARpeg commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Shamrock reprofiled several stock needles. You still need to pick up a few shims, to adjust elevation as needed, because the stock needle only has a single groove.

          • #9
            Originally posted by Tug View Post

            Where do you get the needle?
            Well it looks like Mikuni makes it just a little harder than Keihin for getting the proper tapers and whatnot than Mikuni does. I got a call in to a mikuni expert and see if he has a way to track it down. I'm assuming they use the #7 series needle but I will need to measure my stock CV needle and figure it out. You can see the specs of richer and leaner needle profiles on the Jetsrus needle page. It looks like it could just be a matter of simple measuring of the aftermarket needle and compare with regular Mikuni needles.

            The kit sellers may very well be making their own custom needles, but in the off road world Keihin needles were simpler to figure out and we always laughed at people who would spend $50+ on a Dynojet kit when you could buy individual jets and needles for well under $20. That was where my original comment came from, since Keihin made it easier to figure out.

            I will look into it a bit more and see what I can find out, because as my wife says, I could very well be wrong

            2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

            Comment


            • Spydr
              Spydr commented
              Editing a comment
              Been there, done that with Jets R Us *and* Sudco.
              I have needles that *were* the closest to our needle size that they *had* at the time. Close, but no banana. Too short and/or too rich.

          • #10
            Originally posted by Jaybo View Post

            Well it looks like Mikuni makes it just a little harder than Keihin for getting the proper tapers and whatnot than Mikuni does. I got a call in to a mikuni expert and see if he has a way to track it down. I'm assuming they use the #7 series needle but I will need to measure my stock CV needle and figure it out. You can see the specs of richer and leaner needle profiles on the Jetsrus needle page. It looks like it could just be a matter of simple measuring of the aftermarket needle and compare with regular Mikuni needles.

            The kit sellers may very well be making their own custom needles, but in the off road world Keihin needles were simpler to figure out and we always laughed at people who would spend $50+ on a Dynojet kit when you could buy individual jets and needles for well under $20. That was where my original comment came from, since Keihin made it easier to figure out.

            I will look into it a bit more and see what I can find out, because as my wife says, I could very well be wrong
            There will probably be a lot of interest in a cheaper needle vs buying a whole kit from barons

            Comment

            Latest Posts

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Doc_V, 5 days ago
            23 responses
            311 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Duke
            by Duke
             
            Started by Darkkill57, 1 day ago
            10 responses
            172 views
            0 likes
            Last Post davej
            by davej
             
            Started by Father Pobasturd, 01-13-2020, 12:43 AM
            293 responses
            1,154 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Father Pobasturd  
            Started by TerryInFlorida, 14 hours ago
            1 response
            35 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Father Pobasturd  
            Started by Felix805, 2 days ago
            5 responses
            84 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Shores
            by Shores
             
            Started by Jaybo, 3 days ago
            20 responses
            141 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Doc_V
            by Doc_V
             
            Started by Felix805, 3 days ago
            15 responses
            115 views
            0 likes
            Last Post 2time
            by 2time
             
            Started by Jimfed1, 3 days ago
            13 responses
            61 views
            0 likes
            Last Post 2time
            by 2time
             
            Started by Jaybo, 2 weeks ago
            37 responses
            380 views
            2 likes
            Last Post Shores
            by Shores
             
            Started by Lug Nut, 2 weeks ago
            30 responses
            579 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Jeaston
            by Jeaston
             
            Started by Roadstar_Rob, 1 day ago
            4 responses
            101 views
            1 like
            Last Post mlharper  
            Started by cike, 2 weeks ago
            24 responses
            408 views
            1 like
            Last Post roadiemort  
            Started by Herrindude, 4 days ago
            23 responses
            265 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Herrindude  
            Started by Penguin, 09-12-2019, 02:56 PM
            15 responses
            247 views
            0 likes
            Last Post WarPig
            by WarPig
             
            Started by Blackcloud12, 2 days ago
            8 responses
            72 views
            0 likes
            Last Post KCpartsguy  
            Started by BOBJO, 2 days ago
            3 responses
            54 views
            0 likes
            Last Post davej
            by davej
             
            Started by Aussie John, 4 days ago
            7 responses
            168 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Horsehammerr  
            Started by Pauli466, 2 days ago
            2 responses
            64 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Pauli466  
            Started by Thee_masonator, 5 days ago
            17 responses
            212 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Koal0313  
            Started by Smar84, 05-01-2019, 05:36 PM
            9 responses
            291 views
            0 likes
            Last Post BOBJO
            by BOBJO
             
            Working...
            X