Idle Issues 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Issues 2

First off, thanks to everyone that responded to my first post! I see now I needed to give more information. OK. Bike running great. Every time I start it, all I do is pull the "choke" out, don't touch the throttle, and bump the starter. Fires up EVERY TIME! Now, the "choke" doesn't do nothing. But if I turn the throttle 1/4 as I hit the starter, fires right up. As long as I regulate the Idle with the throttle, it will run until the gas is gone. Get on the road, the first stop I make, when I pull the clutch in, if I don't keep it running with the throttle, it will die. I have went through almost everything in the tech articles, troubleshooting, ect.. on here. No one seems to address the issue i have. I can paint it, but aint much on wrenchin! But I can follow directions! I hope these pictures might help us figure this out, and maybe educate me on my ride.

Is the choke (enricher) staying pulled out or is it going back in when you let go of it? It sounds like it is going back in on it's own and needs the detent knob tightened down to keep the choke on.

Comment

• Ricky Harper
      Ricky Harper commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it. Idle adjustment screw.

Originally posted by davej View Post
    Is the choke (enricher) staying pulled out or is it going back in when you let go of it? It sounds like it is going back in on it's own and needs the detent knob tightened down to keep the choke on.

This,^^^^^^^^^ and make sure your idle is set to around 900rpms.
    There is a YouTube vid out there if you google Roadstar 900rpms you can probably find it.

Its not a choke. It’s an Enricher. It adds fuel and air to richen the start mix. Some people are good with rolling the throttle a couple times before pushing the start button. This lets the accel pump squirt a couple of times, and helps to get some fuel in the carb throat. Just don’t mess with the throttle until you’re ready to ride off.
    Get the detent knob tightened properly, and after the bike starts and the rich lumpy idle starts, push the Enricher in about halfway until the bike is warmed up well, and then push it the rest of the way in.

Comment

• Ricky Harper
      Ricky Harper commented
      Editing a comment
      I have started this bike for years and have never touched the throttle once. Just pull the choke out and hit the starter switch.15-20 seconds after it starts, push knob in and ride.

• Ricky Harper
      Ricky Harper commented
      Editing a comment
      It will not Idle.

Comment

• FDRUCaptain
      FDRUCaptain commented
      Editing a comment
      You can unscrew the choke from the carb at the area where you have all the play. And look inside to see if it's still there. With the sheath looking like it does, moisture could have gotten in there and your cable could be broke inside.

Comment

• FDRUCaptain
      FDRUCaptain commented
      Editing a comment
      Has anyone including yourself ever played with that idle speed adjustment?

• Ricky Harper
      Ricky Harper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Is there a general setting to start at?

• Ricky Harper
      Ricky Harper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey FDRUCaptain. That was it!!!! It didn't look like he did much to it, I didn't think he even turned it. It was all the way unscrewed. I screwed it all the way in, backed off 3 turns, and it started up first spark! Had to slow it a little more, but now is purring like my lil baby again! That is one part not listed or even mentioned in my owners manual or on the Forum or Tech Articles here. Hell, they talk more about my passenger foot pegs than the idle adjustment. Don't make sense. Thank You!

Actually Ricky, it gets mentioned a lot. Like when I mentioned it above, and the multitudes of times it gets mentioned on a regular basis. It gets mentioned just about every time somebody ask about their bike not idling well, or stumbling off idle.

”This,^^^^^^^^^ and make sure your idle is set to around 900rpms.
    There is a YouTube vid out there if you google Roadstar 900rpms you can probably find it.”

People tend to think since they can turn the idle down low and the bike still runs when the motor’s up to operating temps, it’ll run fine all the time. Properly setting the idle is important not just for idling, but starting as well. When the bike is properly warmed up, which can take 15 or 20 minutes of riding, the idle can be turned as low as 650rpms. May be what the guy messing with it thought.

Scout out the vid, and set your idle accordingly.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by JimMoo, 59 minutes ago
    3 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post Lug Nut
    by Lug Nut

Started by Ahodge75, 1 week ago
    22 responses
    1 like