Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Hsr42 carb on a 2000 road star 1600

Hello everyone

so im posting on here cuz I need help figuring out why is it that im not getting a good gas mileage on my 2000 Road star 1600. so im currently running on a Mikuni Hsr24 carb, Ram air intake filter that I Baugh from sscustomcycle that also came pre-jetted , Vance & Hines long shots, and the dyna 3000 performance ignition. would changing the main jet help this issue? Also I took out the fuel pump since it was explain to me that there was no need for it cuz it was gravity feed. also took out the roll over valve and vented the gas cap.

Thanks!!!!

I would call Shane at SS cycle and let him know what is going on and ask what jetting he put in the carb and what size needle he uses.

Comment

• alo1600
      alo1600 commented
      Editing a comment
      for some weird reason he didn't tell me lol so I had to look it up my self and it was 167.5 on the main and don't know about the pilot jet. from looking at the spark plugs looks like the bike is running rich.

and if you ditched the fuel pump you should put the 3.0 grizzly float needle and seat in.
    It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

• alo1600
      alo1600 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks!

If your wanting good fuel mileage, then your using the wrong carburetor. JMO
    You should be using the TPS on the HSR42.

Comment

• alo1600
      alo1600 commented
      Editing a comment
      the performance improved a lot but the gas mileage is just awful now... I guess can't have the best of both worlds lol ... is there a way to put the TPS on that Carb?

• davej
      davej commented
      Editing a comment
      maybe the mpg went down because the performance improved. LOL are you going on a little more spirited ride when you ride? It don't take much.

• davej
      davej commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you can install the TPS. Message Duke I believe he makes a TPS bracket for them.

There is 1 thing about the HSR carb, there are more things to tuning than just the main jet and pilot jet. You also have to consider what Needle is being used. They make a few different needles with different diameters that make a huge difference in the proper tuning of a hsr42. My bike has a big bore along with every engine performance mod that is available and I run a hsr45 carb with a 162.5 mainjet,25 pilot and the leanest needle, clip in the 3rd groove, I tune using a real time live readout AFR gauge. and my carb setup is spot on. I think on yours I would drop the main jet to a 165 ride it and see how the plugs look. The main jet is easy to change by removing the hew nut on the bottom of the fuel bowl.

Comment

• alo1600
      alo1600 commented
      Editing a comment
      yes I've drop the main down 165 but honestly its the same ill try with a 160 main jet that I have or just probably might have to buy a 162.5 like yours.... Ill probably open the bowl to see what size pilot jet is on there, also check out what groove the clip is on sense they won't provide me with that info @ SS lol....where do you recommend getting the needle from? and witch one? im here in SoCal so temp is not to hot nor to cold. I appreciate the help thanks.

I would pull the needle to see what number is on it and what groove the clip is in. my experience with the hsr is the the 3rd groove is probably where it should be. The needles are 95,96,97,98 with 98 being the leanest needle. Everything for an HSR can be purchased at any local HD dealer or private owned HD shop that sells parts. Just don't tell them what bike it is going on because that will confuse them.

Comment

• alo1600
      alo1600 commented
      Editing a comment
      is there a needle size you would recommend?

• davej
      davej commented
      Editing a comment
      the leanest one"98

• alo1600
      alo1600 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the advise!!

Can I chime in here ? My '05 1700 has 172.5 main and 40 pilot . Clip in 4th groove , was advised to remove the metal washer under the Spacer for economy purpose . Seems to have worked with 46.7 mpg Hiway at 65-70 mph. My question is , how can I lean this out a little ? My pipes are pretty Black Soot Covered inside. OEM carb

Comment

• Horsehammerr
      Horsehammerr commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes OEM carb. I thought it was pretty good , I'm just a little fussy and would like to see more Gray than Black . Thanks davej !

• davej
      davej commented
      Editing a comment
      Horsehammerr, The OEM carb isn't a HSR42 like the one we are talking about. The OEM is a BSR40 and not even close to the same jetting as the HSR42. If anything on yours turn the PMS in about 1/4 turn to see if it still runs OK. With the MPG you are getting I say you are spot on with your jetting. A better way to tell would be to pull a plug to confirm my thoughts on jetting. exhaust color isn't always the best way to determine a rich condition. I'll bet that if you wipe your finger inside the pipe you will barley get any black transfer to your finger.

• Horsehammerr
      Horsehammerr commented
      Editing a comment
      davej , This is my third RS, all BSR40 Carbed. I understand a little Black Pipe coating , but I'm just a little picky and always looking for a better way . A good smear of Black transfers to my finger from the pipes , and I know a little rich is better . I may turn the PMS in a bit and see what happens .

Originally posted by Duke View Post
    If your wanting good fuel mileage, then your using the wrong carburetor. JMO
    You should be using the TPS on the HSR42.
    Any motor that performs better is going to use more fuel.
    That's a scientifically proven fact !
    I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

alo1600 was wanting better fuel mileage and the BSR40 will give the better fuel mileage if set right. I agree that you will use more fuel when making HP, when your using it. The HSR isn’t just a bolt on power gain unless you set it up to work with the engine mods done just like the BSR carb.

JMO!

Comment

• alo1600
        alo1600 commented
        Editing a comment
        the guys at SSCustomcycle where pretty adamant about just mounting the carb and just adjusting the air screw would just do it!!! but need to adjust more till I can be more satisfied... I mean it runs great but I know I can also do better with gas mileage... and yes its a bigger carb so def aware that maybe not as good with stock bike but interns of gas efficiency it can't be that bad right??lol

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Fishbone333, 08-11-2021, 06:29 PM
    14 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post YZ18
    by YZ18

Started by TheDaveySprocket, 08-11-2021, 07:22 AM
    13 responses
    2 likes
    Last Post TheDaveySprocket