Gas/oil leak on carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas/oil leak on carb

I recently purchase this bike from a friend. I don't know if he didn't know about the leak or if he knew and just didn't care. Either way there is a leak coming an open area to my knowledge there has never been a hose stuck to this part. I don't know much about bikes if anything at all. But if I could get some help on figuring out what is supposed to be attached to both of these I would be a very happy person to not have to wipe down my damn pipes every time I ride. I need to know why someone would remove the houses for this kind of stuff and never try to fix it. Please someone HELP!

Well there is a zip tie on the fuel hose... Never a good idea. Should be a Corbin spring clamp. There can be many places it may be leaking. The fuel line itself may be bad... They can go soft as well as get dried and split. To actually see where the bigas is leaking from.... the best way is to remove fuel pump cover, turn petcock to OFF position.... Then wipe everything down with a paper towel and use some brake cleaner as well... Get it as clean as you can including the line between the jugs going to the carb itself.

Then when it's all clean and dry open petcock to ON position and turn key on (don't start bike just turn key on)... The fuel pu. Pnwill energize and you should be able to see where the leak originates from.
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

That is the fuel bowl drain and don't need a hose on it at all if it is leaking from the hose you need to tighten the fuel drain screw. I think it looks like it is leaking down from the fuel bowl seam. he may have damaged the little o-ring that seals the bowl at the accelerator pump passage. you may need to take the fuel bowl off and check to make sure the rubber fuel bowl seal is in good shape and also that the small o-ring seal is in good shape.

Comment

Cut the zip tie, with a couple of pliers bend the spring clamp so it squeezes tighter and slide it in place, if that doesn't stop the leak you should remove it and take the bowl off to see what shape the gasket is in. Looks to me like the inlet is leaking at the zip tie,could also be leaking at the other end of that hose at the filter and running down, start by making sure that line is clamped tight at both ends

Comment

• DEEPHATE
          DEEPHATE commented
          Editing a comment
          As dave said that hose is on the drain line.

Well...this is getting more and more embarrassing as time goes on and I find out...well...more. Unfortunately gentleman I was actually talking about what is circled in the new picture as one, but if you guys are telling me that that line (circled in the picture as 2) that I have connected to the carburetor that has a zip tie on it is an actual fuel line that is supposed to be connected to something and not an overflow line that isn't supposed to be just dangling, then would someonebe able to tell me what that is supposed to be connected to now? When I originally got the bike that one also had nothing connected to it so I originally thought that that's where the leak was coming from so I connected a hose that was small enough to fit on it and hang down because somebody had told me that it was basically an overflow nozzle. So now if that is actually supposed to be connected to something now I have three nozzles that have nothing connected to them and I'm starting to think that I just need to take that damn carburetor off and just rebuild the whole freaking thing and pray to gawd that the second gear missing is the only thing that was wrong with the bike (from what i understand was a recall on that year make and model due to 2nd gear grinding out and disappearing) because so far I haven't noticed anything else. Not to say that there isn't anything else wrong. i just hope the biking God's will see me a fit rider, and keep my girl together so i can get her top condition and take care of her as she deserves. I do thank you guys for the info so far though.

Comment

The line circled and mark #2 is a fuel bowl drain. It don't need a line on it at all. If it is leaking from there tighten the screw on the fuel bowl right next to it. Now the nipple marked #1 I have no idea what it is. I have worked on over 50 Roadstar carbs and never have seen a nipple in that spot. In fact I am holding a carb right now and there is nothing like that on this carb or any other that I have worked on. It still looks to me like fuel is leaking down from something up higher like the bowl seam gasket or accelerator pump O-ring that is also under the bowl seam.

Comment

• DEEPHATE
            DEEPHATE commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah what the hell is that port?

• RunningRagged
            RunningRagged commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much. Because of this I hope comments of yours right here I'm starting to understand quite a bit how about that freaking carburetor. First off I don't think it's right carburetor what the fuck

Your shifting issue is not related to the recall.... Very unusual for a Road Star to pop out of 2nd gear... Sounds like that can be an expensive fix.
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

notice there isn't another nipple in the location number 1 in your picture.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedimage_14604_LI.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	112022 The fuel on the blue circle is what makes me think at least part of the leak is the acc pump oring or bowl gasket.

Comment

here is a real clear pic of the bottom of a roadstar caarb. Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom of carb.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1,016.9 KB
ID:	112024

Comment

• RunningRagged
                  RunningRagged commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thank you for this picture. When I received the new part that I'm waiting on I believe is a coasting enricher from what I understand. This part that I'm waiting on now cracked in the center luckily I still have the spring and all the internet's so I'm just getting the cover thanks to you guys that's originally how I found this form. So like I was saying once I get that part can I put it on a bike I'll get her over here polar carburetor off completely clean it the hell up send take a picture of it. It should have numbers on it that I can look up online and find out exactly where that carburetor came from right?

When tightening that bowl drain bolt don't get over zealous. You can crack the bowl.
                With enough beer you can do anything...D.Pate

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Father Pobasturd, 16 hours ago
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Bikerron  
                Started by Michael72, 09-02-2020, 11:48 AM
                14 responses
                0 likes