Code 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code 22

09 RS. Just got back from vacation, popped in the new battery and fired up the bike. I noticed that the the engine light was staying on, but didn't notice the code at first. Took the bike for a quick first spin of the year hoping the engine light would go out but it didn't. Got home shut it off then just turned the key on and noticed a Code 22 on the gauge. The service manual says Air Temperature Sensor. Located it just behind the headlight bracket (dangling) with the sensor mounting tab broken and the sensor tip broken off. I have no idea how that happened as there is nothing anywhere near this location that could have broken it.

I called my local Yamaha dealer and they didn't have one and was told they were on back order and couldn't get 1 for at least 3 weeks. I called the next closest dealer and they said the same thing, but the parts guy there located one at a dealer in Irving, Texas and gave me their number. Called Irving Texas and sure enough, their inventory said they had one. The parts woman said that they had ordered it 4 years ago so she had to physically check and thankfully she located it. Shipping out to me today and should have it early next week. I was lucky because even though you can order one from the several online parts dealers, you are not going to get the part for a while as there are none around at the moment.

All three dealers told me that it's common for the mounting tab to break from the vibration. Although the Irving, Texas dealer hasn't done any for a while, they have replaced several over the years from cracked mounting tabs.

I noticed the engine light about a month ago when "Doc" asked me for a video of my bike running with the Rinehart slip on exhaust with my Basanni True Duel Headers. At the time, I thought it was due to me McGivering a lawn tractor/mower battery to the bike since my old battery was dead.

Partzilla has them I stock.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...fd9e0d2421374a

Comment

• Doc_V
      Doc_V commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd call Partzilla first if you're in a hurry. I ordered something from them almost a month ago that their site showed it in stock. When I placed the order the site said, due to the virus, expect an extra 3-5 day delay before it's shipped out. I'd expected as much but that 4 weeks ago. Two weeks ago, when I inquired about the status, they sent me this, "Like many companies, we are also taking steps to ensure the health and safety of our employees and customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Due to school closings as well as steps we are taking out of an abundance of caution, your shipment may be delayed 2 or 3 business days." As of today it still says "Preparing Order." It's said that since I placed the order.

• Bikerron
      Bikerron commented
      Editing a comment
      My comment was over a year ago.

04-20-2019, 02:07 PM

Just stripped the front end down for fork seal work, after putting it all back together I found the same code, Looked in my headlight and found an unplugged two pron wire. Must be it.... going to look around in my shop and see if it is under something in there, in the meanwhile is it going to hurt the bike to ride?

Thanks

Comment

Didnt even know the fuelies had an air temp sensor. Geez learn something every day I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Satwood120 View Post
        Just stripped the front end down for fork seal work, after putting it all back together I found the same code, Looked in my headlight and found an unplugged two pron wire. Must be it.... going to look around in my shop and see if it is under something in there, in the meanwhile is it going to hurt the bike to ride?

Thanks
        It shouldn't hurt the bike. The sensor adjusts the FI settings so it may run a little off cause it can't determine the correct temp.
        You could have damaged the sensor doing front end work. The sensor is not in the headlight. It's located on top of the lower tree, just in front of the steering neck. It's just a small plastic piece and wouldn't take much to break it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by roadiemort, 08-22-2020, 03:09 AM
        170 responses
        1 like
        Last Post roadiemort  
        Started by jinxpress, 1 hour ago
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post Brad_G